Training Tips

We have 3 JRT's Aged between 1 and 12 weeks, i love them dearly but none of our dogs are doing well at training. We have trained house trained all of them, but we are having trouble with sit, stay and a variety of basics!

our trainer told me that JRT's are basically untrainable....i dont believe that....they just need a different set of motivations, does any one have any tips they can share?

i would be most grateful, we also start with a new trainer next week but i am interested if any one has any idea.

Thank you

We have 3 JRT's Aged between 1 and 12 weeks, i love them dearly but none of our dogs are doing well at training. We have trained house trained all of them, but we are having trouble with sit, stay and a variety of basics!

our trainer told me that JRT's are basically untrainable....i dont believe that....they just need a different set of motivations, does any one have any tips they can share?

i would be most grateful, we also start with a new trainer next week but i am interested if any one has any idea.

Thank you

Hey Kaos, ever seen that movie Paws? JRTs are certainly not untrainable at all. I know the guy who trained that dog in Paws was an expert trainer but still. You are so right on the motivators. What have you been using? Food? Maybe you need a tug toy for each of them that only you use when training they don't get to keep. Special :thumbsup: The reason I say this is that although I don't take part in it myself I see lots of JRTs and smaller terrier type dogs doing well at flyball working for a tug. They have high prey drive. But food, I would have thought food would be good one. Maybe you just need a new trainer/club to train at? Or perhaps you need private lesson or two to get you on the right track? Good luck! Don't give up!!!

our trainer told me that JRT's are basically untrainable....

:laugh: How many JRT's has your trainer tried to train?

Of the numbers I have worked with I have found them to be highly intelligent and quick to learn. You need to keep their minds busy and keep training interesting and fun, but like many and varied working dog variety, they are fast to learn where their advantage lies and will do what they will to this end. I think their 'smarts' can easily out-do those who are not faster than they are in recognising a loop hole :thumbsup:, but there is no way I would consider, let alone verbalise, that JRT's are untrainable!!!

We have 3 JRT's Aged between 1 and 12 weeks,

This is a typo, right? Because if you can house train a one week old puppy, I'll be really impressed. :laugh:

Just wanted to say, it will be way easier to train the puppies if you give them all separate training sessions away from the other puppies. It will be way harder if you're trying to train 2 or 3 puppies at once, or even trying to train one with the others in the room. Not sure which way you've been trying it so far.

I also wouldn't expect too much out of a 12 week old puppy, all the 12 week old puppies I've met have had very short attention spans!

And, if I were you, I'd get a new trainer, one that didn't consider my dog to be untrainable.

I say find another trainer. There are plenty of Jack Russells doing things around Victoria like obedience, agility and tracking

Maybe Ness on the forum can suggest somewhere, I think she is in SA.

Edited by helen

I've got 2 JRTs and have found both of them reasonably easy to train - you've got to find the right motivators. My male doesn't respond to food at all, but show him a tennis ball and he'll do anything to get it. He didn't like obedience class much (he was bored) and once I'd learned the basics I trained him at home. He has very good recall and I'm sorry now that we didn't try flyball when he was younger. The female is dog aggressive and I've had her to K9 force for behaviour assessment and I am now putting into place his strategies. She is responding well to this and is improving all the time.

Good luck with the training - owning JRTs is a joy and as you well know, never boring.

just to clarify....flash is 1 yr old, Minties is 17 weeks old and baby chico is 12 weeks old....flash has been doing fly ball and loves it....maybe a ball is the key to his training...i never thought of it...sorry!!! i dont expect much from my pup although he tries and that is sooooooooo cute. at 12 weeks he will sit and drop on command and at home he will recall....i haven't tested it yet our side of our home.