Advantage And Advantix

my dogis treated with advantage and i was going to use advantix to pretect from ticks too and i asked the vet and he didnt have it but he told me that it is dangerous and that is why he doesn't sell it. so i got more advantage which he said covrs for ticks too, but i wonder if this is right or why would they even make advantix if this is true that advantage kills ticks too. does anyone use advantix that has hd trouble with it or do you think the vet was just trying to make me buy the only stuuf he had. also does anyone know if ticks will die from advantage or do you think advantix is the way to go?

I would like to hear back from you. im only new here but i love my dg who is getting on in years even though he is still going strong, he is my best mate. my cousin has staffies and he is trying to talk me into getting a new dog to go to shows with him but i don't know if the old boy would like that. but i do hope you can tell me what to do with the flea stuff. my dog doesnt have fleas as i always have him covered but those ticks can be nasty little buggers and cost heaps to get em fixed if the geton them. i would rather be sure, take no chances with my boy or who would be my drinking partner.

please reply,

Kris

Hi Kris,

Advantage only kills fleas. Advantix does kill fleas and ticks (aswell as mites and repels mozzies and sandflies).

Advantix is not dangerous for dogs as far as I am aware but it is VERY TOXIC to cats. Cats can get very sick and even die from contact with dogs who have advantix on.

Frontline also kills fleas and ticks. There has been some talk that it is not working as well as it used to but no true studies have been done.

Proban is a tablet given every second day for tick prevention but it is not as convenient as the top spots.

There are also tick collars available, eg Preventic.

Especially in Brisbane you should be using some sort of tick prevention. I would expect vets in the area to give you good advice on what to use. If you are going to shows don't be afraid to ask other dog owners what they find effective. Most clinics should be able to order products in for you even if they do not normally stock them. There is a good vet clinic in Sherwood opposite the Shell service station.

We have been using Advantix with no problems, we started our puppy with Advantix when she was 8 weeks. We also have a birman cat and whilst we dont use Advantix on him he has thus far had no side effects from the dogs.

Suggest you look here as is the cheapest for flea and tick preventative products.http://www.pricelesspets.com.au/

I have used advantix for a number of years and never had a problem. I am currently using it on my 4 month old puppy with no problems. I live on the coast on acerage so I need to have my dog protected for ticks. For heart worm and general worms I use intercept. A couple of my neighbours are also using advantixs with no problems.

I mentioned on another (US) forum that I was going to use Advantix and I was warned against it, they said it can cause neurological problems in a dog (like induce seizures, epilepsy etc). I had already bought it so I researched it and decided the risks were minimal and I went ahead and used it. I think it's brilliant stuff, Mushka was infested with fleas when we adopted him and now he's flea-free, I brush him daily and still find new dead fleas from the hatched eggs. I think it's like any medication, canine or human, there can be side effects with a small percentage of dogs, the key is to watch your dog carefully after giving them anything new for the first time. I don't think people should be warned off it because of a small percentage of problems when you're talking literally millions of dogs worldwide who use it. I am certain it has saved many dogs' lives by killing ticks and that's a big reason why I use it, on such a thick coat as Mushka has I worry I won't find the tick before it gets hold so I am really trusting the Advantix to do it's job. So far so good.

I've been using Advantix for about 3-4 years, no problems. Effective.

Another option is a tick collar e.g. Preventix.

Especially since you've already got fleas covered with the Advantage. Collars are also much cheaper.

Reason I don't use them is dogs are always being hugged by my kids (and me) and I don't like the idea of anti-tick stuff on them/us.

thanks to all the friendly people for their replys. looks like the vet was wrong and advantage is not for ticks so i guess ive been real lucky, i think i might try the collar too. interesting about the neurologial problems, i was told cancer but i guess lots of people hear different stuff.

i appreciate all talking to me and your help,

keep smiling all, Kris