Puppy Growling And Being Vicious When You Go Near It's Food

ZEUS

A month ago , I gave my dog a lamb shank, and when i put my hand near the bone while he was eating it, my dod (puppy) became vicious & was growling. I didnt worry about it to much then, but now i am startin to worry.

Since that incident, i have now experienced this 3 times. When my dog is eating and I go close to his food, he growls and becomes vicious. He has even snapped at me and tried to bite me tonight.

He is only 4 months old and I am very worried as i have 2 young kids.

Can anyone give me some advice ?

Thanks

Ever since I bought Louie home I have made him eat his dinner with my hand in his bowl. I dont do it every night now but he lets me pick up his food and take it away without getting vicious.

We used to have the same problem with a BC and basically just sat right next to him while he was young and made sure he never got too protective or vicious.

Recently there was a thread called "take it away and give it back" in this puppy section of the forum, Sorry I can't attach the link for you - I am not that talented with computers only learning. But I just had a quick look and found it on the second page of listed threads. Hope this helps, good luck.

I've been having that problem with my little monster! I've stopped giving her wet food for a bit, and hand feeding her dry food or putting her bowl between my feet and sitting with my hand on the inside of the bowl, she's growled at me a few times but it starting to get better.

I gave him a chicken carcus today and held it until he had a good grip of it, he seemed ok,i will give him dry food tonight from my hand, i will see what happens. it is one problem i want to fix

thanks again

I gave him a chicken carcus today and held it until he had a good grip of it, he seemed ok,i will give him dry food tonight from my hand, i will see what happens. it is one problem i want to fix

thanks again

I have never tried this ... but i read in my favourite Dog Book (Its me or the Dog) that you should feed your dog by hand each time you feed him.

She writes that you should always eat your meal first, and never feed the dog from your plate. You should prepare his meals at bench height, and pretend you are eating his dinner, then offer him peices, one at a time. Thsi is supposed to reinforce you as the leader of the pack, you get to eat first, and he must eat second. pecking order so to speak. once this is established you are supposed work down to letting the dog eat from his own bowl, but you are supposed to sit beside it, and be able to touch the bowl when ever you like.

Might be worth a read, I like this ladies methods of dog training, they are all about kindness and understanding, I dont beleive in smacking dogs.

Hi Zeus,

Perhaps this book might be a good resource for you? (can buy it online)

Mine ! by Jean Donaldson

Dogs that become demonic around the food dish, snarly on the sofa or grouchy when chewing on a bone are all-too-common.

Finally, here’s a comprehensive, step-by-step guide to help you recognise, evaluate and treat resource-guarding in pet dogs.

From the author of The Culture Clash and FIGHT ! A Practical guide to the Treatment of Dog-Dog Aggression (see related items below), this book may just save your sanity and your relationship with your pet pooch.

Section 1: Introduction

Section 2: Working with resource guarders

Section 3: Treatment

Section 4: Ajuncts, regression and prevention.

There's also a good article on resource guarding in the October Whole Dog Journal -

Whole Dog Journal