Pup Wont Eat Good Dry Food

StaceyB

Gypsy will only eat the cruddy Lucky Dog dry food from the supermarket! I have tried Supercoat, Advance, Royal Cannin & Nutero Choice and she just wont eat them (I didn't like giving her supercoat coz it made her poop a lot!). She eat any buscuits in the morning, just leaves them all day no matter what it is and at night when I mixed the dry food into the raw meat she just picked around the dry. She only ate is under protest, and some days refused to eat it at all.

I know that Lucky Dog is not good fer her, but I've been buying coz I figure its better than letting her starve herself.

Does anyone have any ideas how make the good quality dry food more appealing?

I've started giving her turkey necks in the mornings for breakfast. And I make my own dog food for her dinner, I use:

1 kg pet mince from leonards (raw)

1 cup rice

approx 250g mixed veggies

1 x pureed apple

1 x egg

which lasts up about a week.

Your pup won't starve itself. Do a change over gradually, and only leave the food out for 10mins or so, then take it away.

I had a similar problem with my puppy when I bought him home, except he wouldn't eat anything! I started mixing in about a tablespoon of eagle pack holistic canned with some water to make a gravy, then mix it though the biscuits. Whatever was left after 10mins, was taken away. He lost about a kg during the first week because he wouldnt eat, but now finishes every meal i give him!

Don't give her Lucky Dog, I'd guess it's full of sugar and that's why she likes it. Why not feed a natural diet if she likes the raw meat?

Google BARF and do some reading.

Wow! They put sugar in dog food????? What the devil for?????

Don't give her Lucky Dog, I'd guess it's full of sugar and that's why she likes it. Why not feed a natural diet if she likes the raw meat?

Google BARF and do some reading.

Wow! They put sugar in dog food????? What the devil for?????

To make it cheaply palatable. Same as McDonalds etc. which you wouldn't feed your human kids with every day (though they might try as teenagers to live on the stuff LOL)

Edited 'cos I missed an essential word DOH!

Edited by Ruralpug

I dont see the vitamin/mineral content of that food being balanced enough for a pup. Grab a good dry food and stick to it. If she doesnt like it persist for 2 weeks, dont go mixing or feeding any treats. Dont create a fussy puppy but doting over her all the time.

Try adding some nearly hot water to the food, let it soak and when its just warm feed it to her. It smells more palatable and its a bit softer.

have you checked her teeth? Lucky Dog isnt very hard so maybe she has a sore that is preventing her from chewing the others

I also take away what's not eaten after 15 min, then give it back for the next meal.

Your dog will soon work out that it needs to eat the food provided or no more will be forthcoming.

Owners tend to make "fussy eaters", but offering an alternative if the original food isn't eaten. No dog needs a smorgasboard :laugh:.

My kids would prefer to eat chocolate for breakfast, but no way will I let them. They might have a little after eating something else healthy.