Microchip Lump?

Mushaka

I have noted in the last week that at the back of Indies neck,right about where her chip was implanted,that there is a movable lump..

could this be the chip?.its only slighty larger than the grain of rice,maybe x2 at most.

Ive never been able to physically feel a chip before though!

Maybe someone else has?

it moves under finger pressure but only around the same spot??

Any ideas ???

ETA - Indie was chipped many months ago

Edited by Lewis & Lyn

Has she been vaccinated lately?

And...I have to ask. Why does your ticker for your dogs birthday show a woman breastfeeding a child?

hahah..i didnt think that wat it looked like at all.

I added the ticker just as i had my baby ,and joined Indie to my pack

anywho..Indie is up to date with everything!!

had her shots ages ago!

The body will sometimes encapsulate a foreign body with fibrous tissue - whether it is a microchip in an animal or a silicon breast implant or contraceptive implant in women.

Very rarely this fibrous tissue can become cancerous, so keep an eye on it, but it should be fine.

Morgan that's exactly what happened with my Cavalier. The lump was about the size of a one dollar coin and was flat like a disk. The fibrous tissues appears to break down over time. It has with my dog. I keep a keen eye the area.

Edited by cavNrott

Morgan that's exactly what happened with my Cavalier. The lump was about the size of a one dollar coin and was flat like a disk. The fibrous tissues appears to break down over time. It has with my dog. I keep a keen eye the area.

That is a big lump!

It happened to my daughter with her Implanon - made it extremely painful and difficult to remove and has left her with a nasty scar as a result. Poor doc had to really slice into her to get it :rofl:

My Basenji bitches micro chip has moved down her off show side leg, you can feel it towards the front of the leg and my male Havanese's chip has moved up his neck towards the back of his ear!

Edited by havahug

My Basenji bitches micro chip has moved down her off show side leg, you can feel it towards the front of the leg and my male Havanese's chip has moved up his neck towards the back of his ear!

Our bitch's microchip migrated down to the top of one of her front legs. It would be so easy to push it out. Our boy's we have no idea where it is!! But back on topic, he also has a lump on the side of his neck. We thought it might have been a reaction to an injection he had a couple of weeks previously but we're not sure. We are keeping an eye on it and it seems to be reducing in size. The trouble with our boy is that he has such a high pain threshold he doesn't let on that it hurts him or not. We can put quite a bit of pressure on it, and he doesn't flinch.

Our bitch's microchip migrated down to the top of one of her front legs. It would be so easy to push it out. Our boy's we have no idea where it is!! But back on topic, he also has a lump on the side of his neck. We thought it might have been a reaction to an injection he had a couple of weeks previously but we're not sure. We are keeping an eye on it and it seems to be reducing in size. The trouble with our boy is that he has such a high pain threshold he doesn't let on that it hurts him or not. We can put quite a bit of pressure on it, and he doesn't flinch.

Why not take your dog to the vet surgery and have them run the scanner over the lump to see if it's the microchip? I'm about to do that this week with my Rottweiler who has a lump just behind the shoulder blades. It's recent because I go over my dogs almost every day to make sure there's nothing there that wasn't there last time I looked.

That is a big lump!

Yes it sure was a big lump for such a small dog. Vet said if the fibrous tissue didn't start to break down within a month then the chip would have to be removed.

All dogs must be chipped in Victoria now so the vet was about to draft up a certificate to exempt my Cavalier. Fortunately it seems all is well now.

Why not take your dog to the vet surgery and have them run the scanner over the lump to see if it's the microchip? I'm about to do that this week with my Rottweiler who has a lump just behind the shoulder blades. It's recent because I go over my dogs almost every day to make sure there's nothing there that wasn't there last time I looked.

Exactly wat i was thinking of doing!!! Lewis needs a check up anyway so i will tag indie along for the ride.

Thanx for all the input

Guest Robatife BCs

It sounds like a microchip, it is very common to migrate around the body, especially if the neck area was touched after the chip was inserted. A thick gel like substance is ejected from the microchipping needle with the chip, this helps to set the chip in one place, but if the dog was patted or walked after getting the chip inserted there is a big chance it chip will travel.

OK OK..im sooo stupid!!!

Talk about paranoid! I tool Indie to the vet to check the lump...

We scanned her ,the chip is right between her withers, BUT the lump is RIGHT where she had all the needle work required for her desexing!!!!!

:):cry:

So free shot at the IDIOT!!

You also aren't supposed to touch the area for a while after the dog is chipped, as it can damage the chip and make it un-readable.

I made sure not to touch Bruno's spot until about a month after he was chipped, and its still in the same spot. I wont be touching the area unnecessarily though.