Back Problem

KateM

It seems to be one thing after another with my poor girl. She's had a recent patella tendon injury which after 3 months seems to have finally healed and this week we had a very traumatic night where Chilli was unable to get up from lying down and was in extreme pain. I gave her anti-inflammatories but they didn't even touch the sides. She could lie in one position only and if she tried to move would howl in pain. We eventually took her to emergency vets in the middle of the night where she was given temgesic and kept overnight. When I went to pick her up in the morning she was back on her four feet again which was an incredible relief. I took her to the vets where I work and they had a thorogh feel of hind legs and back and he seems to think it is her back which is causing the problem. She had a similar incident about 6 months ago although no where near as bad and I thought it was arthritic hip joints - she's had problem joints from about 2 years of age.

The poor girl just seems to have so many problems at only age 5. I really thought the end had come for her this week. The vet has advised that it can really only be treated with anti-inflammatories and restrict her exercise. I certainly wouldn't want to put her through any surgery - I think she has too many problems for that. I'm going to go and see a physio next week to see what she advises. Just wondering whether anyone has any suggestions/has had similar problems. I feel so sad for her and am petrified of her having another night like Wednesday night. It was just awful.

Thanks for any help.

Kate

Kate have you had her xrayed to try and pinpoint the problem?

I have a myotherapist who comes to the house and massages my dogs. It really helped my dog who had a very painful shoulder. We did the massage every week for 6 months and now she's as good as gold with no evidence of pain.

I can give you the name of a really great Chiro here in Melbourne but yes, you do really need xrays at the least, and probably better still an MRI to see what's going on in there. I don't know any Chiro/Physio/Massage who would be happy to work on your girl without a diagnosis.

Push your Vets and if they are too casual about it go for a second opinion somewhere else. :rofl:

Cheers,

Mel.

Hard to give any advice without knowing what's actually wrong.

Definitely push for an Xray to be done so you know what you are actually dealing with.

My girl Ella has calcification in the lower spine. It was horrible when it first started playing up, she hobbled around all hunched up, yelped if she moved and if you so much as touched her. At age 2 she had the back of a dog that had been chasing a ball for ten years. :laugh: It showed up in the Xray.

She was put on anti-inflammatories for a short while and we stopped throwing the ball for her (she was ball obsessed) to stop the leaping twisting actions compounding the issue caused by her long back. We then took her to a cranio-sacral therapist for manipulation.

Later we tried a frizbee and a soccer ball instead, but unfortunately it was no better. Up until then we'd been discussing flyball or agility for her. She would have adored flyball. :laugh:

Hypo dog that can't do vigorous excercise...mmmm...great!

Ebony is Ella's gift from the angels, it just took them 3 years to get around to creating her!

My preference would be to try bowen therapy &/or cranio-sacral both of which are extremely gentle and therefore can be applied in more situations that might be contraindicated for other therapies.

As mentioned by others getting a scan/xray would be the best start to get a more definite diagnosis so the problem can be dealt with properly.