My Dog Just Swallowed The 'wing' From His Duck Toy

deltron

Charlie, my 4.5kg Tenterfield terrier just ripped the wing off his duck toy and swallowed it.

The duck looks similar to this

McQuack.jpg

Except the wing isn't as thick - it's basically 2 pieces of fabric stitched together with no stuffing in it. the wing itself is about 4cm X 6cm X .5cm

My OH says not to worry and that the dog isn't a delicate flower. Obviously I will be keeping an eye on Charlie in case he gets sick/obstructed but is it generally not a problem for dogs to swallow items of this size?

It all depends if the fabric ends up getting caught on something else on the way to the bowels. My dog had an intestinal blockage when he was about 8 months old ....... the blockage turned out to be part of a leather sandal, a chunky-ish piece of bone and part of a soft toy - the 3 items got intertwined in the inestines.

Keep an eye on Charlie over the next week and make sure he has daily bowel movements. You will know if he has an obstruction because his bowel movements will stop, he will arch his back in pain and he will also go off his food. If that happens - take him straight to the vet.

Hey deltron, i'm going through something very similar at the moment. My 11 month old boy is in the hospital because he swallowed something he shouldn't have :)

Keep a very close eye on him...if he starts vomiting and/or is put off his food and acting lethargic take him to the vet.

I hope your little guy is ok!!