Jumping Up On People

what are the best methods for stopping our 9 month old GSP jumping up on us? He's only been with us a few weeks and initially this wasn't a problem but now it is (I think he's finally used to us!)

He's better about it with me (probably because I have a louder voice and I'm taller and more confident) but the kids are finding it a problem. I have been telling the kids to turn their backs on him and ignore him until he has settled and we have now even started to walk around the garden ignoring him until he lost interested and once he was just standing there quietly we went to him but now he seems to think that if he starts tugging at the kids clothes/shoes etc this might get there attention.

I had intended to be at classes with him by now but the he was extremely ill last week and had spent a few days at the vets so now that he is home the classes I wanted to go to only have 3 weeks left and don't start again until February. Another class I looked at was fully booked and another wouldn't take dogs that had C4 vaccinations only C5.

What do people recommend for stopping jumping? I was wondering if I just had maybe one or two private lessons I could continue on my own until the classes start again next year.

We don't have any other major issues .he walks pretty good on leash due to his breeders showing him so he knows not to pull, and mouthing isn't too bad, I hold him around mouth and say no sternly if he does. Sitting is still a work in progress, he will sit for food but only for a second, so I need to work on this too.

I've always thought that no attention at all (eg, no touching, eye contact, nothing) and turning your back on them would soon get through. I think consistency with the entire family is important for this to work though.

I'm definitely no expert ( :cry:) but at home with our dog we tried the ignoring and it didnt work- the poor kids would seek refuge on chairs around the house. But Lately when she tries to do it my OH has been correcting her (a loud "ah-ahh STOP") making her sit and then giving her a pat only when she does so. This has worked well and also when visitors come she is now instructed to sit, drop, stay until she calms sufficiently to get a pat. She is stilll a mad thing but the jumping seems to have stopped. when we are out and she runs up to strangers thats a different story...

BTW Ive heard the knee thing hurts them.

good luck,

Dee

Oh i just read that you are having trouble with sit- hmm maybe work on that first before you try this!! :)

I have one of those and slowly getting better (she forgets due to puppy juice, excitement). Tried ignoring her that didn't work, held her paws till she wanted to get down that one didn't work either. So know it is "down" and "sit", then she gets the attention. The worst time when she does this is when I first get home from work and she is literally bouncing up and down. I mean this dog can jump higher than me (mind you I am small), new command for coming home time is "settle" "settle" "SETTLE" "down" :) then "sit" good girl.

It will take time and you are quite lucky that you have a GSD as they are smart dogs. Food also helps with commands and give your children the opportunity to do it too, so she learns to respect them. Start with the Sit command with treats like chicken, sausage something yummy. Reward him when he is sitting and not halfway up and do training in short bursts. With the settle command I waited until Izzy was on her back and calm and just repeated the word "settle" sometimes with food sometimes not. It is so funny you say "settle" and she literally throws herself on her back with her paws sticking up.

Don't give up sometimes it does take a while and then one day it just clicks with them.

Still working on this one :) - Tango's only 2 (years old) and bounces when he gets excited, not necessarily on people, just UP and there is usually a person in the immediate vicinity (usually me) - you need to work out why they do it, is it attention (pat me, pat me), is it frustration (mum, can we go now, I'm bored), is it excitement bounce.gifbounce.gif (oh, yes, yes, yes, this is wonderful!!! ) because the corrections will be different for them all.

If it's pat me, pat me, turning your back on Tango and walking away extinguishes it pretty fast. If it's can we go now I'm bored, that can be a bit harder because you'll have a wriggling, squirming dog who doesn't want to sit still...and if it's plain excitement...please let me know - I'm still working on it!

Thanks for your advice. I read another post somewhere here that used a water spray bottle and the dog got a quick squirt when jumping up. I tried this with the kids last night and this morning we walked out and he saw water bottle in my hand and there was no jumping! hopefully he'll catch on quick.

Still working on this one ;) - Tango's only 2 (years old) and bounces when he gets excited, not necessarily on people, just UP and there is usually a person in the immediate vicinity (usually me) - you need to work out why they do it, is it attention (pat me, pat me), is it frustration (mum, can we go now, I'm bored), is it excitement bounce.gifbounce.gif (oh, yes, yes, yes, this is wonderful!!! ) because the corrections will be different for them all.

If it's pat me, pat me, turning your back on Tango and walking away extinguishes it pretty fast. If it's can we go now I'm bored, that can be a bit harder because you'll have a wriggling, squirming dog who doesn't want to sit still...and if it's plain excitement...please let me know - I'm still working on it!

:rofl: OOOOH sounds like you're talking about my viz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Spanner, I have heard also that holding the paws when they do this and gently squeezing (not hurt, just hold so they lose control and can't get down and YOU have control) works too. However, you may already realise that the jumping is just a symptom of the overall opinion he has of you and the kids, which is he doesn't see you as strong leader yet. he is testing out how far up the pack order he can move and if he can take charge. Take a look at the NILIF program for dogs. Do a search on the web for it and you will find it. Works well. Then, I'll tell you what ONCE YOU HAVE HIM AS YOU WANT HIM and not before or you will reintroduce pack order issues, try using jumping up as a reward. Many people hate their dogs jumping up on them and me too unless I invite my dog to. My dog never jumps up on me, ever. This is funny as I have the prob where she tries it on with other people and have to do something like ask for a sit from her before people pat her (you can try this too, to control the jumping). But as a reward, my dog is invited to jump up to my chest. It is a big treat for her after performing an excercise well or when playing. I'm not of the belief your dog should never jump on you. BUT in your case yes, it would be really good to stop it right away.

I'm pretty sure it was someone on DOL who recommended a method used by (police? quarantine? military?) dog handlers. I used to it good effect on one of my fosters, and suggested it to a friend who was having trouble with his Bernese Mountain Dog jumping on him ... worked first time with the Berner!

The recommended method was that as the dog jumps on you, hold their front paws and squeeze them tighter (obviously to the point of discomfort, not actually pain) and at the same time give them lots of affection, "oh you lovely dog" squeeze, squeeze, "you are SUCH a lovely dog" squeeze squeeze, in a happy, loving voice, holding the dog as it tries to get away (disclaimer, don't try this with a dog you don't know and etc etc etc) and praising it joyfully.

The dog isn't being punished, but it's confusing and a bit alarming, so they seem to decide that another activity is more rewarding. For a little while you can see them think, "oh jump, jump, er, maybe not".

I do think, as others have suggested, that a reliable sit is probably a good idea, it's a very useful command. Get your puppy to sit for everything. Sit for treats, sit for meals, sit for pats, sit to go in and out the door, sit to have leash on, sit to have leash off, sit before puppy can go and play. Once you've got a really reliable and automatic sit happening you can use it to deflect all sorts of mad puppy behaviour.

One of the things I like about teaching sit this way is that the dog gets to see it as a communication tool, so they'll offer a sit when they want something ... I think it gives them a bit more sense of control, so they don't need to demand attention in other, more annoying ways, since they already have a reliable tool.

Thanks again to everyone. The jumping is becoming less of a problem (unless he is really really excited, like when kids get home from school) and we now make him sit for everything (although I think at 9 months he has hit his "selectively deaf" period!). He is beginning to sit without being asked to for somethings so we are definately getting there plus we start obedience classes in a couple of weeks time (I finally found a place that wasn't full until next year!).

Be careful with squeezing his paws as it could make him scared of people handling his paws in the future for grooming etc.

If you put a correction collar on him like a prong, put your foot on the lead so he will get a correction if he jumps up, and then encourage him to jump up a few times (he will get a correction when jumping up but wont really know where it is coming from), he will decide that jumping up is not such a nice thing to do after all. You will only have to do it a couple of times if that.

Make sure you check your leadership too... insure you are incorporating programs like NILF etc into your daily life.

Good luck with it and i hope he is feeling better!

Rachelle's tip about the leash is a good one for when you are out and about and your dog leaps up to other people (though not necessarily with the check chain). If like me you have a very people friendly dog it can be a real headache when friendly strangers want to pat her- she always tries to jump up and her behaviour is usually compounded by the idiots saying "its ok, i love dogs" and giving her a big pat and cuddle. In that situation by having your foot on the leash there is no chance of that happening.

Rachelle's tip about the leash is a good one for when you are out and about and your dog leaps up to other people (though not necessarily with the check chain). If like me you have a very people friendly dog it can be a real headache when friendly strangers want to pat her- she always tries to jump up and her behaviour is usually compounded by the idiots saying "its ok, i love dogs" and giving her a big pat and cuddle . In that situation by having your foot on the leash there is no chance of that happening.

Ain't that the truth!

I had the same problem with a dog lunging on lead and people patting her and giving her treats when she was doing that :laugh:

Rachelle's tip about the leash is a good one for when you are out and about and your dog leaps up to other people (though not necessarily with the check chain). If like me you have a very people friendly dog it can be a real headache when friendly strangers want to pat her- she always tries to jump up and her behaviour is usually compounded by the idiots saying "its ok, i love dogs" and giving her a big pat and cuddle . In that situation by having your foot on the leash there is no chance of that happening.

Ain't that the truth!

I had the same problem with a dog lunging on lead and people patting her and giving her treats when she was doing that :laugh:

That would make things difficult seeing as she is continually getting rewarded for her behaviour by other people. What do you do in that case? The only thing i can think of is telling people not to touch her, but that would sound pretty harsh.

what are the best methods for stopping our 9 month old GSP jumping up on us? He's only been with us a few weeks and initially this wasn't a problem but now it is (I think he's finally used to us!)

He's better about it with me (probably because I have a louder voice and I'm taller and more confident) but the kids are finding it a problem. I have been telling the kids to turn their backs on him and ignore him until he has settled and we have now even started to walk around the garden ignoring him until he lost interested and once he was just standing there quietly we went to him but now he seems to think that if he starts tugging at the kids clothes/shoes etc this might get there attention.

I had intended to be at classes with him by now but the he was extremely ill last week and had spent a few days at the vets so now that he is home the classes I wanted to go to only have 3 weeks left and don't start again until February. Another class I looked at was fully booked and another wouldn't take dogs that had C4 vaccinations only C5.

What do people recommend for stopping jumping? I was wondering if I just had maybe one or two private lessons I could continue on my own until the classes start again next year.

We don't have any other major issues .he walks pretty good on leash due to his breeders showing him so he knows not to pull, and mouthing isn't too bad, I hold him around mouth and say no sternly if he does. Sitting is still a work in progress, he will sit for food but only for a second, so I need to work on this too.

Spanner can I suggest that you do get a couple of private lessons done at your home with all the family present. A 9 month old dog is starting to go through some major changes into adult hood and this needs to be explained to you in detail. More so because you have children in the household. Nothing you have told us at the moment is a major problem and very normal for your age of dog but know one on here knows the history of this dog or how you live with the dog day to day, so please be carful if you do the wrong thing now or use to much force on this dog it will end in desaster. GSP's can have weak nerves and be the fearful type if not handled wisely. You need a whole training program on how to fit this dog into your lifestyle not some quick advise on individual issues's.

I think to "invite" a dog up only to correct it is a damned mean thing to do IMO.....it reminds me of an idiot I knew years ago who would offer her own dog food and then whack him in the face for taking it :rofl: .

When I asked her why in the hell she would do that....she said 'because I didn't give him the command to take it'....... :laugh: the dunce was trying to teach him food refusal.......IDIOT!

I don't like the 'foot on the lead' thing either as I have seen this method abused when teaching? (forcing) dogs to drop. Very old archaic method used by bullies IMO.

Look, i think the leash under the foot is an invaluable technique on the fly since it must be about 99% of people who approach my dog ON THE STREET want to pat my dog and dont mind her jumping :laugh:. Whats the alternative? It doesnt hurt her(i dont use check chain in these situations) and it stops the positive reinforcement for the jumping. It doesnt force her to drop just stops her from jumping above my reach. If i had her on a close-hold on her leash she can jump- lower she cant. The key is NOT to abuse it.

I DO agree any invite up is bad idea- though the poster said that too.

Dee

Thanks everyone for your input. Thankfully the jumping seems to have almost disappeared. He has never tried to jump on anyone in the street on our walks or at the vets so that has never been an issue and when my parents came around the other day he didn't try to jump on them either. I think the problem has been our kids more than the dog! I have now "trained" my children :love: I get them to walk calmly out to the garden and not race out all excited because they want to play.......poor dog not surprising he got all excited. I now tell my children to ignore him until he is calm (and if he tries to jump they turn around and walk the other way) and then make him sit for them (we are making him sit for everything. sit for food, sit for attention, sit before he gets his leash on, sit before he can come inside) and they are taking treats to him and making him sit and then they give him attention (this is all done under supervision I might add and my youngest who is 10 is never outside alone with him). I have got him into classes and will probably arrange to have some one on one time in our home too.

Thanks again everyone :laugh:

Edited by Spanner

I agree with Tepferhund here about the inviting to jump up and then correction. HUGE HUGE NO-NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh God, don't ever do that!!!!!!!!!!! Okay, the foot on the leash thing is one method I have seen of teaching the drop but goodness me, why would anyone INVITE a dog to commit an undesirable act, only to punish it??? I don't care what anyone else says, if your dog is jumping up on you it's a SYMPTOM of an overall problem of pack order and dominance. Get the other stuff right (as others have suggested, using NILIF is a very nice way to do it) and the jumping won't be an issue. One 'don't do that' from a true pack leader and the dog won't do it. If the envelope is pushed by the dog then a quick growl and correction should be all it takes if other stuff is in place correctly. BUT, if you say nope, you stay down there most of the time but when I say up you come, you are ALLOWED AT MY DISCRETION TO TEMPORARILY RAISE YOUR STATUS watch them lap it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's as good as a food reward. At the end of an exercise that has been done well for my dog it's 'Yay, come on up!!!!! or 'Yay, have a tug on that hose and let me pull you right up onto my chest!!!!!!!!!!!. Then back to work and the enthusiasm to do what you want from the dog is huge. Really, it boils down to common sense and how you apply it.

A ridiculous one I have heard is to hit the dog on the head with something like a scone tray when they jump up. Sorry, but that was seriously told to me in a lecture once. I nearly died.