Pet Insurance

seapig

Been looking through the pages and most ppl are against insurance. It seems everyone has had bad experiences. Tragic really, but I think it is prudent to get one because you never know, right? I am researching now, but it would be helpful if people who've had no problems with their insurer can recommend theirs or if you know of people who will, so which one? A friend who's a breeder of champion Retrievers recommended PetPlan. Can anybody else recommend theirs? I am looking at a premium plan. I am also a realist so will expect some initial problems with any insurer.

Thanks, Seapig

Been looking through the pages and most ppl are against insurance. It seems everyone has had bad experiences. Tragic really, but I think it is prudent to get one because you never know, right? I am researching now, but it would be helpful if people who've had no problems with their insurer can recommend theirs or if you know of people who will, so which one? A friend who's a breeder of champion Retrievers recommended PetPlan. Can anybody else recommend theirs? I am looking at a premium plan. I am also a realist so will expect some initial problems with any insurer.

Thanks, Seapig

Thanks, Seapig

Hey there, I finally hit the right button :rofl: Anyway, I have my 2 Cairn Terriers insured with Pet Cover [petcover.com.au -

1300 731 324] I suggest you check out their website. They cover for up to $7000.00 in veteninary costs with a $100.00 excess per claim and the policy also covers for tick paralysis. I have made one claim with them and got paid no worries. My premiums are about $30.85/dog/month or you can pay annually. I would definitely recommend them. Good luck

I don't have insurance for either dog.

My BIL is in the legal section for insurance- do READ the fine print!

My 6 year old mini poodle has only to been to the vet a few times in his life, all for minor things.

If the standard has any problems, it's possibly hips/ knees. I'm not sure that's covered?

Also, what's covered depends on breed, I think.

RSPCA Insurance is not breed specific and they will cover any illness or injury as long as it wasn't pre-existing when the insurance was taken out. (I have just claimed for Xrays and surgery for cruciate ligament damage.)

I prefer RSPCA over the Pet Plan because there is no excess to pay. My cover is for 80% of all vet bills regardless of whether they are major or minor.

So if your dog has an ear infection, you pop along to your vet and come away with a bill of $100 (inlcudes consult and medications) - my insurance pays $80 and I pay $20.

With Pet Plan, there'd be no point in claiming because you have to pay the first $100 of every claim.

:rofl:

Edited by Duncan+Dougal

I'm with RSPCA insurance - paid $1000 per dog per year thereabouts - have already claimed almost all of that back on one dog only and the first year is up in February 2008.

Speaks for itself really :rofl:

Wow :rolleyes: That's darned expensive insurance.....over $83 per month per dog. :)

I hear the RSPCA now has about the best policy of all the pet insurances. So they should if they're charging that price for their premiums. Most monthly premiums are around the $30-$35 mark. I have a feeling the $$$ might be better in a high interest bearing bank account.

I'm with RSPCA insurance - paid $1000 per dog per year thereabouts - have already claimed almost all of that back on one dog only and the first year is up in February 2008.

Speaks for itself really :rofl:

Wow :) That's darned expensive insurance.....over $83 per month per dog. :rofl:

I hear the RSPCA now has about the best policy of all the pet insurances. So they should if they're charging that price for their premiums. Most monthly premiums are around the $30-$35 mark. I have a feeling the $$$ might be better in a high interest bearing bank account.

Apologies, you are right Anne, that would be darned expensive insurance! You made me go check my policies - almost $1000 per year for TWO dogs, not each dog - there now, that feels better - even my bank account says so!! :rolleyes:

I personally like the RSPCA insurance because as far as I know it covers breed specific problems where as a lot of the other insurers don't. (Double check it, but I think that's right.)

The down side is if you have 80% cover through them, and say you have a vet bill for $3000 for a tick or something else major, then you have to pay 20% which would still add up to $600.

With Pet Cover, depending on your policy, you might only have a $100 excess so you would only be paying $100 of that vet bill.

Then again, say your dog saw a vet for something minor and the bill was $80, you wouldn't claim with Pet Cover - you would have to pay the whole bill, but if you were with the RSPCA insurance and have 80% cover, you would only be paying $16 of that bill.

When researching, I found that RSPCA insurance would be better for small vet bills, and Pet Cover would be better for big vet bills.

Edited by Blossom

Does anyone know if all the pet insurance companies insist on yearly vaccinations now that we have a regime of 3 yearly vaccinations available to us? Anyone who is insured and doesn't wish to vaccinate annually might need to look into this.

I've had my sheltie covered since he was a pup - it's about $40 a month for accident & illness. I've made 4-5 claims from memory and not once had a problem with the insurer coughing up. They've been really good. Having said that, the claims have only been for minor problems - certainly nothing over $100 or so.

I'm happy to pay $40 for peace of mind...my boy's pretty active and you hear of lots of dogs these days doing their acl's etc - so it's worth the dosh every month for me...

I would love to have pet insurance for my dog but I found most had clauses that stopped them from paying out on a lot of things and also most require you to pay the bill and then claim it back.

We found our best option was to open an ING Direct account and put a side a set amount each pay - we were putting aside $30 per dog. This money is there just in case something happens to our dog and will be available to cover any vet bills as required.

I would love to have pet insurance for my dog but I found most had clauses that stopped them from paying out on a lot of things and also most require you to pay the bill and then claim it back.

We found our best option was to open an ING Direct account and put a side a set amount each pay - we were putting aside $30 per dog. This money is there just in case something happens to our dog and will be available to cover any vet bills as required.

That sounds like a good idea too.

I thought of that too ie. opening a special bank account - but, it would take many months or even years to have enough saved in one of these accounts to cover a vet bill for most surgeries/snake bite etc. which is why I didn't go down that road...

I thought of that too ie. opening a special bank account - but, it would take many months or even years to have enough saved in one of these accounts to cover a vet bill for most surgeries/snake bite etc. which is why I didn't go down that road...

That is true but thankfully we haven't needed to access the funds for a major emergency.

We started the account when we got our GSD pup - he is now 5 years old. We opened the account with $500 and were then putting $30 to $50 per dog each fortnight - the account now has over $10,000 which would hopefully cover most expenses. It didn't take that long to build up to a decent level.