Cat Bite/scratch

KJ

One of my labs has just been scratched and bitten by a feral cat. She has a small puncture wound on the corner of her eye, a scratch under her eye (her eyeball does not appear to have been scratched)and several scratches on her ear.

I have cleaned the wounds with saline but am wondering if I should be doing more?

Have you got an antiseptic such as Savlon or Betadine (not Dettol) - wouldn't hurt to put some on the ear. As far as the eye goes, I think you have done the right thing with the saline. Hope it heals well & doesn't cause your Lab too much discomfort!

I am sorry I only just read your thread. Any suspected puncture wounds or scratches should be seen by a vet. They will stain the eye and see if there is actually any damage. If there is they will usually suture the eye closed to allow it to heal without interference from light (probably 7 - 10 days) and give antibiotics.

Without this treatment infection can set in and/or the dog will loose some sight in the eye.

It is still not too late to see your vet. You may be lucky and nothing will result from the incident but then again maybe you won't ....

id go to the vet too

u just dont know if theres even a tiny scratch that is imperceptible to our eye

eye is one of the entry points to infection and with a cat scratch there could be zillions of germs...

i really think its worth the trip...