Upset Stomach

BBNZ

Hey

Need some advice. After speaking to the vet this morning - he told us that our dog molly is having an upset stomach (because she didn't want to eat at all this morning) after we changed her food over (in hindsight I should have introduced it slowly! unfortunately you only know after the event)...he recommended peeling a roast chicken with rice for an upset stomach...

She is resting now, doesn't want to play but still pulled me this morning during our walk. She went to the toilet before our walk, and during our walk as well (was a little soft and at the end she had a little bit of the runs)

Phoned the vet who suggested roast chicken and rice. Just wondering what I should do when I get it ready for her, especially if she refuses to eat that too.

Vet said to wait 48hours - if she gets worse i.e. vomiting - bring her in.

its a rare dog that refuses chicken and rice. Give her that for about a week to settle the stomach, even a little natural unflavoured yoghurt (and only a little) can help as well. Give small meals twice a day and if she doesnt eat for a day or two dont panic, dogs can go quite a while without food (unlike cats who shouldnt go without food mroe then a day - day 1/2) but make sure she is drinking water. Just offer her that, dont try and keep tempting her with everything or you can upset her stomach further.

My opinion..not being a vet or having seen your dog.

Give no food today, but make sure she has plenty of water available.

This gives her stomach a rest...and lets you observe her.

Tomorrow, if she still refuses her normal food..offer her the chicken and rice...

as I said..just my opinion.

Hope she is feeling much happier tomorrow

its a rare dog that refuses chicken and rice. Give her that for about a week to settle the stomach, even a little natural unflavoured yoghurt (and only a little) can help as well. Give small meals twice a day and if she doesnt eat for a day or two dont panic, dogs can go quite a while without food (unlike cats who shouldnt go without food mroe then a day - day 1/2) but make sure she is drinking water. Just offer her that, dont try and keep tempting her with everything or you can upset her stomach further.

Thanks for that...just a bit concerned because although she has been regular with her toileting - it is usually more than 2 times a day.

I will try and tempt her with water, but she doesn't seem to drink much either

My opinion..not being a vet or having seen your dog.

Give no food today, but make sure she has plenty of water available.

This gives her stomach a rest...and lets you observe her.

Tomorrow, if she still refuses her normal food..offer her the chicken and rice...

as I said..just my opinion.

Hope she is feeling much happier tomorrow

Thanks for you advice.

they usually say roast because charcoal roasted chickens have the fat drip off - less fat in the meat so less upset. If you boil chicken get thigh/breast meat no skin and boil it with a little salt in the water. You can let the dog drink the stock too thats left over.

Update:

This is the second day that my dog has been on the rice and roast chicken meals. She is very happy to eat it.

So far, she hasn't gone as frequently as before. But her stool this morning was quite yellow and soft (a little runny at the end). Just wondering if this is normal?