I've Just Sent Off The Entry Form For My First Jumping Trial

I think I said it all in the heading LOL.

I am terrified of not being able to work out how to run the course. We set up a novice jumpers course in class this week and I didnt have a clue! (the instructor showed us ways to run it after we'd all had a go and come up with some very wierd and wonderful manoeuvres :(. My initial plan had about 6 RFP's and in the end I didnt need any :p ). My BF also jumped in and suggested an even better handling technique for one 'tricky' bit which worked well.

The big question is ... how will I work it out myself on the day??? Are there any on-line resources for practicing working out how to run courses?

Edited by BittyMooPeeb

:p :( Goodonya BMP! And don't worry, I'm sure there will be plenty of people there to 'tell' you how to run the course... you shouldn't listen to all of them though :rofl: Maybe you just need to bring the BF along to give handling tip :rofl: Oh, and thanks for reminding me to enter!! :rofl:

:(:rofl: Goodonya BMP! And don't worry, I'm sure there will be plenty of people there to 'tell' you how to run the course... you shouldn't listen to all of them though :rofl:

LOL. The (extensive?) list of those to ignore can be sent via private PM :rofl:

Maybe you just need to bring the BF along to give handling tip

Might look a bit suss when he walks the course! He isnt a handler, but usually comes to classes with me, and is great on the sort of 3-D spatial thinking required to work out what to do (when you dont have experience). He's also very ready at the end of each exercise to tell me what I did wrong :rofl: :p

ETA will Polo be competing or is he still too young?

Edited by BittyMooPeeb

He's also very ready at the end of each exercise to tell me what I did wrong :( :p

There's a whole trial full of people to do that :rofl: It's so easy from outside the ring :rofl:

ETA will Polo be competing or is he still too young?

Far too young, he's only 7 months!! So far he's done a tunnel... which he then tried to retrieve :rofl:

OMG - you should have seen our run. It was ......... TRAGIC :)

I was OK except for a messy front cross that directed Peebs at an angle over the jump (and beyond, missing the next jump) but Peebs was not the dog I know!

This was vaguely the course and where Peebs was supposed to go ...

post-6387-1195716458_thumb.jpg

And this is where he actually went :)

post-6387-1195716725_thumb.jpg

:( Four times we were running along together happily and he just decided to run off to the right of the course and do a few loops, have a look around, and try a few different obstacles. My BF video'd it and it is such a hoot to see the look on my face each time he disappeared!

The videoer was off to the right, so I suspect he caught a wiff of 'Dad' and though he'd go and find him :)

sounds like he had a great time.... i have entered my youngest in her first trial tomorrow night, is she ready? i hope so.. am i ready ?.. not sure, but as long as we have fun i will be happy. :rofl: ..

Good luck!!! Peebs definately had fun :(

well i chickened out, its been raining here most of the day, and is still going tonight, had to go to a meeting this morning, so decided i would wait for the next comp...

BMP, you and Peebs did great!!! Trust me there are far more tragic first runs than yours :happydance: Peebs looked to be having a great time, even if he did want to find 'Dad' :thumbsup: Hope we see you in the ring again next year :coffee:

well i chickened out, its been raining here most of the day, and is still going tonight, had to go to a meeting this morning, so decided i would wait for the next comp...

Good luck for next time! How long will you have to wait?

not long am going to a new years ADAA trial held in bundaberg, will be running all three dogs, i have taken a week off work afterwards i think i will need it LOL... at least it will give me a bit of extra time for training...

not long am going to a new years ADAA trial held in bundaberg, will be running all three dogs, i have taken a week off work afterwards i think i will need it LOL... at least it will give me a bit of extra time for training...

I've been told the NYE trial is a heap of fun...take lots of drinkies. :laugh:

Mel.

I've been told the NYE trial is a heap of fun...take lots of drinkies. :laugh:

Mel.

certainly is have been for the last two years definetly a trial to attend, for a fun weekend away... nice and relaxed during the days and we compete at night- due to the heat- although its not too bad... am planning on camping for a few days before hand....

• 3 weeks later...

Teehee - I feel your pain BMP. I gave my crazy boy Fergus a run in Novice Jumping on Saturday - I know he wasn't ready, but hey - last trial of the year ..... . Feral would be the best way to describe him - I didn't get a chance to get enough of the steam out of him before the run. He did the first two jumps, then got sucked straight into an off-course tunnel, and then did zoomies around four or five jumps a couple of times, including jumping the spread backwards (and cleanly!). I finally stopped him and got him to start listening - and then he was quite good, if a bit over-enthusiastic, and finished nicely - except that he turned back before the final jump - the broad - he did it though, and then waited for me to put his lead on before going out of the ring. I know what I have to work on over the summer now - but it was worth doing - apart from providing a comedy turn for the other triallers. :)