Weeping Eye

Hi there,

My 22 week old Newfie woke up this morning with dry goop over his eye. He usually has a little bit of discharge coming from his eyes, which the vet said not to worry about, but this is worse. I have bathed it in boiled salted water once this morning and will continue to this weekend.

Any ideas? It's probably something basic, but am I doing the right thing?

post-20601-1195267991_thumb.jpg

Hi newnewf

It is probably an allergy but keep watch on it just in case.

We find bathing the eye in cool organic green tea or normal tea is the best and it should clear up in a day. Vets recommend this also.

Also Kojo eye cleaner works very well also.

I have never used salty water, if the actual white in the eye is red go to the vet again.

Hope this helps.

Malisa

you can also get "weepy eye" or general spectrum conjunctivitis drops at the chemist.

Human stuff, but works just as well as dog eye drops for same thing

If persists see a vet

ETA: I have normally had results within 48 hours.. if longer. definately see a vet

Edited by Mystiqview

thanks guys,

I am getting some stuff from the chemist today and will try it out. If it's still a problem on wednesday, I'll take him to the vet...I'm thinking it might be from the red dust up here. But we also have a lot of bush flies around at the moment, so I'm wanting to get it cleared up before they hone in on it!

My littler poodle gets a grass allergy with clearish-grey goop in his eye regularly, getting worse with allergy season.

I just clean his eyes with a tissue each day, no problems.

I took him to vet initially, though- she tested that the ducts were working- a coloured dye goes into the eye and all those basics were fine.

Good luck.