Barking At Me

Eileen

My 8 month old stafford pup barks at me when she doesn't get her own way, and also when she wants me to do something like feed her, play with her etc. Is this a sign of bad behaviour and should I be stopping her? If so, how?

eta, atm I react by ignoring her. Is this the wrong thing to do?

Edited by Eileen

Yes this is a sign that she is challenging you and you want to put a stop to that... a dog of her age would be pushing the boundaries which is why she is trying things she may have previously not tried...

there are a few approaches to this behaviour... depending on the situation, I would tend to ignore it, although it depends on what your training methods are and also how intense this behaviour gets...

Bottom line though, do NOT give in to what she wants...

I didn't think there was another thread, though I have to admit I didn't look that hard!

Thanks ST, for your post. Re training methods, I am not really following any specific program, we make sure she sits and stays before she is fed or gets any treats. I have started letting her in our bed in the mornings (from about 5am) so that I can have a bit of a sleep in, could this be affecting her behaviour I wonder.

Edited by Eileen

Well .... beats me - don't know where my post ended up, so here goes again :thanks: ...

My 8 month old stafford pup barks at me when she doesn't get her own way, and also when she wants me to do something like feed her, play with her etc. Is this a sign of bad behaviour and should I be stopping her?

It can be. Do a stock-take on your leadership. Does she get what she wants when she wants it? Does she get everything for free? Have you set boundaries and limitations (from puppyhood) and do you calmly and assertively insist that she observes them? Are things done on her terms, or on yours?

I react by ignoring her. Is this the wrong thing to do?

That depends on whether she is achieving her goal by barking at you. For example, let's just say she was on the couch and you wanted her off and told her so. She then barked back at you so you ignored her. This scenario is an example where her barking at you achieved what she wanted - for you to leave her do what she wants by being on the couch. I'm not saying this is what you do or has been done, but this example might help you work out whether ignoring her or not is the correct thing to do in each circumstance. Always think .... "is she achieving her goal by barking at me (or doing whatever else)?". And always work so that she perceives that whatever goodies she receives is on your terms, not hers.

Edited by Erny

Thanks Erny that's very helpful. By ignoring her, I mean usually when she is barking to be fed, or played with. When I tell her off, she barks back, especially if I hold my finger up and wag it.

Edited by Eileen

Thanks Erny that's very helpful. By ignoring her, I mean usually when she is barking to be fed, or played with. When I tell her off, she barks back, especially if I hold my finger up and wag it.

I have a dally that does this sort of thing and she is just 'talking' to me. It is not a real bark but a loud 'whoa whoa'. She does it when I get home, when I pick up the food bowls to feed them, she also does it if I am very late in feeding them as a reminder and to the other dogs to make them play. She has no dominance issues and is just a talker.

Have you thought that maybe you have taught her that a wagging finger is a signal to Bark?

I have a dally that does this sort of thing and she is just 'talking' to me. It is not a real bark but a loud 'whoa whoa'. She does it when I get home, when I pick up the food bowls to feed them, she also does it if I am very late in feeding them as a reminder and to the other dogs to make them play. She has no dominance issues and is just a talker.

Have you thought that maybe you have taught her that a wagging finger is a signal to Bark?

No, I had not! That is very interesting. I'll have to think about that. Um, I certainly did think it was her just talking, and a natural extension of her staffy talking that she already does. But this just seems defiant.

My Cavie pup used to give me the hurry up when I was preparing his dinner. He'd sit by the kitchen and bark at me. I would walk away and watch TV or do something else until he realised no dinner was coming, then I'd finish getting it ready and give it to him, making him sit and wait for a release comand to eat. He soon learned that barking at me made dinner take even longer to get to him and now sits very quietly watching my every movement whilst I'm in the kitchen :laugh:

I have a 5 1/2 month old staffie, and he does the exact same thing - he barks at me if he's extra-excited and not getting his own way. I give him a stern 'No', ignore him, or put him outside (calmly) for a while until he calms down. This works for me, and he's slowly getting out of the habit of challenging. Staffies are stubborn, though! :rofl:

Think of it context, it's not always a dominance issue. My girl barks at me when playing, it's the only time she's vocal and it is just communicative, not an attempt to overthrown the throne :rofl:

Staffies are very vocal dogs - they talk quite alot.

My two bark at me for all kinds of reasons - they will even sit them and make noises - just talking. Everyone I know with Staffies says that same thing.

If Tex wants something - he will go the cupboard or place where it is and he will wait a few minutes - if you don't cotton on then he will start to bark to tell you.

Depending on what it is - is depending on how I react. If he wants his ball - I will get it or if he wants a snack and hasn't eaten - I will get him something but if he has just had dinner and is being greedy - then I will ignore him or tell him "No".

My 7 month old Stafford pup Banjo does this to. He's most noisy at Dog Training. Last night he barked through his entire sit and down stay :rolleyes: . Edited to add despite being a noisy boy he got put up to class 3 lastnight!

Edited by Tiggy