Scissors - What Size?

Hi all

I have read all the posts about different types and sizes of scissors and was wondering if someone could simplify things for me. :confused:

We're about to open a small grooming business as part of our boarding kennels so was wondering what size scissors people would recommend that would do for most dogs. I expect we'll get mostly SWF's but would need to be prepared to do anything bigger if it came in.

I am thinking Wahl would be mid range $$ and seem to be OK from previous posts. I am happy to get both straight and curved and also a pair of thinning. Some people seem to recommend 8inch, some 10inch? I am just a beginner if that makes a difference. I am in the middle of nowhere so going to try them is not an option.

I have also had a look at various websites and there seems to be different types like anatomic and offset - could someone explain the difference to normal scissors and if they are any better?

Thanks for your help

Hi all

I have read all the posts about different types and sizes of scissors and was wondering if someone could simplify things for me. :thumbsup:

We're about to open a small grooming business as part of our boarding kennels so was wondering what size scissors people would recommend that would do for most dogs. I expect we'll get mostly SWF's but would need to be prepared to do anything bigger if it came in.

I am thinking Wahl would be mid range $$ and seem to be OK from previous posts. I am happy to get both straight and curved and also a pair of thinning. Some people seem to recommend 8inch, some 10inch? I am just a beginner if that makes a difference. I am in the middle of nowhere so going to try them is not an option.

I have also had a look at various websites and there seems to be different types like anatomic and offset - could someone explain the difference to normal scissors and if they are any better?

Thanks for your help

I asked the same thing on a Poodle sub forum. In summary, for a standard poodle and all dogs of that size and bigger you will need 10.5 inches. For smaller dogs 8 should be ok.

There are so many types and models. I have no experience with offset or anatomical ones. I believe they are designed to prevent muscle cramp from prolonged use, but really have no idea if that works. Feel free to post the same question on poodle forum, or any other breed forum that require grooming. You can get breed specific advices.

Cheers

u most probably like to both shears and scissors...which means the longer and shorter version. For toys, u most likely wanted the scissors while the bigger dogs you will prefer the 7" or longer. The longer the shears, the more cutting power you will have and of course the more careful you should be. A shorter scissor can be useful on the shorter body parts of the larger dogs also. Since I dun groom professionally, I keep a scissor good enough for my toy as well as my bigger dogs. U may also want to consider a curved shear...which of course comes in different lengths as well.

Think about investing some good $$ in your scissors, the more expensive they are, the better they come up after sharpening. I was taught the expensive scissors should come up like new after sharpening, where as the cheaper brands sometimes don't do as well.

It really depends on the size of your hands too! I have a pair of 7.5" and they are too long, I would prefer shorter, particularly because they have pointed edges and are so sharp- sometimes I forget where the ends are when I'm concentrating on trimming hair between feet. :laugh: (It's ok I only groom my dogs at home. :) )

Also think about getting a pair of the ball ended ones you do the eyes with, they are really helpful.

I'm not sure I would bother about thinners at the moment unless you are in an affluent area and will be asked for special cuts. You will find most will be clipper cuts with SWF's with scissoring to finish off and neaten up.

Mel.

I work with Wahl 6.5 daily, as I do mostly small/toy dogs, but I also have 7.5 for the medium sized dogs.

Get both curved and straight. Curved are handy for top knots and sometimes faces etc, and also working left handed, and straight for shaping legs and general shaping.

I work with Wahl 6.5 daily, as I do mostly small/toy dogs, but I also have 7.5 for the medium sized dogs.

Get both curved and straight. Curved are handy for top knots and sometimes faces etc, and also working left handed, and straight for shaping legs and general shaping.

BC do you find the Wahl sharpen up OK?

They seem mid range from what I can see, I am finding it hard to justify more than $100 for a pair since I don't even know how much grooming we'll be doing let along scissoring.

So far I'm looking at a 6.5 both straight and curved and an 8 straight, plus probably a pair of thinning scissors as I can see me using them a bit for BC (we have a few of round here).

Blue Fox, I'd honestly recommend you don't buy any scissors unless you get to try them for yourself. "Feel" is really personal thing.

I have 8.5 and 10 inch straight and curved scissors just for grooming my three dogs. Heritage (USA) is my preferred brand. Offset shanks are great IMO because they cut where your fingers are rather than further in.

But it's a very very personal thing.

Think about investing some good $$ in your scissors, the more expensive they are, the better they come up after sharpening. I was taught the expensive scissors should come up like new after sharpening, where as the cheaper brands sometimes don't do as well.

It really depends on the size of your hands too! I have a pair of 7.5" and they are too long, I would prefer shorter, particularly because they have pointed edges and are so sharp- sometimes I forget where the ends are when I'm concentrating on trimming hair between feet. :laugh: (It's ok I only groom my dogs at home. :) )

Also think about getting a pair of the ball ended ones you do the eyes with, they are really helpful.

I'm not sure I would bother about thinners at the moment unless you are in an affluent area and will be asked for special cuts. You will find most will be clipper cuts with SWF's with scissoring to finish off and neaten up.

Mel.

Thanks Mel - I have a couple of the ball ended ones which I picked up from a retired groomer here in town. She was wonderful and sold me pretty much all her gear including 2 sets of clippers, blades and some scissors, but the scissors are tiny (not sure exactly what size would need to go and measure them) and not great quality. So I thought I would spend the money I have save buying from her on some good quality scissors.

I thought the thinners would be good for BC, GSD those sorts of dogs with the big ruffs and trousers. Round here I think people will want them thinned out to make them more managable but not taken off completely (not that I would as I have read too many posts about clipping double coats and how bad that is :laugh: ). I am flying blind really as I'm not sure exactly what we'll have coming in or what clients will ask for - just trying to make educated guesses at present.

You need to try before you buy, so to speak. Everyone has their favourites. To start out id go with the Wahls, they are a good all round scissor. The longer they are, the harder to master, wait till you are confident in scissoring before you go into the longer scissor. IMO. Just remember you could go out and spend $200 on a really top pair, and drop them cos your not used to them. Then they are buggered. Trust me its easy to do :rolleyes:

Blue Fox, I'd honestly recommend you don't buy any scissors unless you get to try them for yourself. "Feel" is really personal thing.

I have 8.5 and 10 inch straight and curved scissors just for grooming my three dogs. Heritage (USA) is my preferred brand. Offset shanks are great IMO because they cut where your fingers are rather than further in.

But it's a very very personal thing.

Thanks Poodlefan - I really wish I had been able to spend more time at the Royal this year, could have tried a heap then but unfortunately time was against me that day.

I think I will just buy two or three of the Wahl, that'll get me by until I can see what we really need and have another opportunity to get to Adelaide to try a few. A the tyranny of distance - it's a bit of a bugger really :rolleyes:

BC do you find the Wahl sharpen up OK?

They seem mid range from what I can see, I am finding it hard to justify more than $100 for a pair since I don't even know how much grooming we'll be doing let along scissoring.

So far I'm looking at a 6.5 both straight and curved and an 8 straight, plus probably a pair of thinning scissors as I can see me using them a bit for BC (we have a few of round here).

I find they sharpen great, as you can see from the scarson my hands :rolleyes:

I like the Roseline scissors, cheap enough not to panic if you drop them, they sharpen up well and keep and edge for a long time if you only work on clean coats.

Scissor of choice is the 7.5 inch which does malts, westies, cockers etc they are also fine for bigger dogs, will just take you a little longer

Thinning scissors - i prefer the double ones as they cut more and get the job done faster

small scissors which i keep for trimming under the feet and chopping the clumps of poo from a dogs bum - 2 things where you don't want to take much off in one go.

If you are going to add to the collection, then think about bigger scissors and curved ones but the 3 mentioned above will keep you going until you have the funds or need to increase your collection.

Will you be hiring a groomer? As scissors are a personal thing, you may find they would bring their own scissors anyway. If not, then you should do a course on grooming and see what suits you before you start to trim other peoples dogs. (sorry if i have missed you already ansered)

Thanks Becks - I won't be hiring anyone, we're just a small boarding kennel that will offer basic and I emphasis BASIC trimming for dogs which need it. We have bought a hydrobath predominantly for the boarders to send them home looking beautiful and will offer bathing grooming out and general tidying up as an added extra. Definately no poodle, bicon or anything like that clips being offered here LOL.

The scissors and clippers are really so I can practice on my families dogs - Mum and Aunt have Malts, and a friend has asked if I will have a go at her Cocker but these are all no charge jobs - I am not putting myself out there as a professional.

Well I have done it - rang Clipperworld today and ordered my Double K Airmax dryer, and a couple of pairs of Wahl scissors - 7'" straight and 6.5" curved, as well as some more blades and Groomers Edge shampoos & conditioners. Also sent them my secondhand blades for a sharpen and tidy up. Can't wait till Easter when our kennels are built and I can finally get my hands on the local dogs :) I am so excited, this building caper seems to be taking forever!

EDIT - Forgot to add that the Clipperworld guys are more than fantastic, I couldn't recommend them highly enough as per previous posts from DOLers. If you need anything doggie have a look at their website first cause if they have what your looking for you'd be mad not to use them for price & service.

Edited by Blue Fox 001