Puppy Pre-school

I was wondering,since i have heard of a few people being kicked out of puppy pre-school,what would push a trainer to do this?

A friend of my mums got kicked out,but he is a tool and wouldnt listen to the trainer,so i guess whats the point of him being there. But what other reasons would there be for this?

Have any trainers here been forced to do this,and if so,what were the reasons?

Erny? K9? Any ideas,thoughts??

Have never kicked anyone out of puppy school but have had to ask on a few occasions for people to control their children. One child came to the first week of a 4 week course and never returned because the parents would or could not keep him under control- he was running around trying to hit other puppies, pulling bags of the shelf, trying to grab other people's leads, screaming etc. They continued to come to puppy class but did not bring the child back. I did not request this but made it clear that his behaviour was unnacceptable and would not be tolerated.

Have never kicked anyone out of puppy school but have had to ask on a few occasions for people to control their children. One child came to the first week of a 4 week course and never returned because the parents would or could not keep him under control- he was running around trying to hit other puppies, pulling bags of the shelf, trying to grab other people's leads, screaming etc. They continued to come to puppy class but did not bring the child back. I did not request this but made it clear that his behaviour was unnacceptable and would not be tolerated.

What would motivate you to remove a member would it be the dog or the owners??

Can't imagine a likely situation where it would be the dog although i have recommended a one on one session in addition to puppy school for some people. Just remembered i did have one couple who yelled at me in the middle of the puppy class and had they not stormed out never to return, i probably would have had to ask them not to return as the other people in the class said they would not come again if these people were there.

They had a little pup who was having barking games with one of the other pups. I used both pups at different times to demonstrate how to get their attention and the guy went nuts at me and abused the other puppy owner who was barking as well. His poor wife looked terrified of him and wouldn't say anything and at the end of the class he threw $20 at me, swore and walked out. The rest of the class were relieved that he would not be returning- i felt sorry for the puppy. :thumbsup:

Years ago when I did some puppy classes I had a very aggressive pup in a class. He was aggressive to people as well as other dogs and while he was not 'kicked out' as such, the owners were given the details of a good veterinary behaviouralist and suggested they consult her before bringing the pup back. They did consult her but unfortunatley the pups aggression was so bad he was euthenised.

Erny? K9? Any ideas,thoughts??

Never had cause to do this myself. Pups that have been 'difficult' (due to behaviour problems) that the owners have not been able to manage in the class environment have been afforded some one-on-one assistance and I've found this normally gets them 'over the line'. But in the more rare but severe cases, a home visit consultation has assisted.

If there was to be anyone who wasn't following instruction and as a result potentially causing problems for the other members of the class, then yes I might need to have a word to them to explain and to let them know if they won't participate as a class member then "class" is not for them. However in the years I've been involved in puppy classes, I can't say I've needed to go that far - most people with puppies are happy to be guided and where they might not listen to some things, the difficulties that present themselves by their pup's respondant undesireable behaviour is usually enough for the owners to start listening. :offtopic:

Edited by Erny

Years ago when I did some puppy classes I had a very aggressive pup in a class. He was aggressive to people as well as other dogs and while he was not 'kicked out' as such, the owners were given the details of a good veterinary behaviouralist and suggested they consult her before bringing the pup back. They did consult her but unfortunatley the pups aggression was so bad he was euthenised.

This was similar to an incident I had. Not kicked out as such but I recommended further assistance before returning - vet behaviourist recommended euthanasia. This puppy would even attack the owners to the point they were afraid to go out in their own yard and he was all of 11 weeks old.

Other than that I have always done my best to work with everyone there - I have also asked parents to in future bring a second adult or leave the children at home if they were unable to suitabley supervise child(ren) and puppy but I always did this after the class in a discret way and explaind it was for their benefit as well as everyone elses. And given my work background whch is in the education department I have been known many a time to tell the child to sit down and be still way more effectively than the parent could. lol

Twe had an agressive little one in our group,the trainer would pick him up and hold him in both arms and put him on his back like "mum" would do unitl he settled. I dont know if this is the best thing to do ,but it worked for him at the time. I cant Imagine the trainer askin them to leave class cause the puppy was naughty though.