Humping Puppy

moggy

Humping can also be a sign of dominance, I have two brothers here and the dominant dog humps the other, it's a way of demonstrating rank and telling the other dog who's boss. I have no idea of your relationship with your dog, but remember that she's a dog and not a child, if she's constantly demanding attention and cuddles and you're complying it's quite likely that she thinks she's the boss of her 'pack' and the humping could be her way of reminding you. Desexing doesn't always stop humping, it depends on the reasons for the behaviour.

My Pepper did this, and funnily enough, during the week AFTER she was desexed?!? :dropjaw: Of course I found it quite cute, but had to supress this and teach her that this action was not appreciated. She normally did it when I was sitting with her, so I would stand up and ignore her for a while. Her humping only lasted about two weeks (she was pretty intermittent), and she hasn't done it since (almost three months later).

I think you'll find your puppy is in the Rank & Shaping Period, this is a time where they can start to hump.

Get up and walk away and ignore her if she does it, I'd probably ignore her for a few hours so she gets the message. Just remember that too many cuddles can confuse a dog....followers fawn all over the leader and that's effectively what you're doing, so if you ask for a command before affection that can help that.

Sounds like a combination of hormones and age related dominance.........trying to find her place in the pack!

My young bitch humps my dog for about 3 weeks after she's been in season!...........he just lies there and looks at her as if to say...........yeah......get off when you've finished! :laugh::wave:

doesn't faze him at all! but then again he's not dominant!!!

perfectly normal behaviour...bitches will do it to dominate...I remember a certain rotti girl humping poor Humphrey when he was younger lol He had no idea what the hell was going on

SAS has the right idea, get up walk away and ignore the dog. Show her you're the boss

Edited by arby

We have a ten month old male black lab (Ebon) who has been with us since a puppy. A couple of days ago I brought home a 12 month old yellow lab bitch (Ala) who is 2/3 Ebons size. Straight away the rough play and dominance tussle started and one of Ebons strategys was jumping on her and humping (he is desexed, she is not yet). Last night she took it to a new level by jumping on his back and humping him! I don't know what was funnier, the concept of Ala humping Ebon or the look on him when it happened.