Where Do You Train When You're Not At Training?

J...

Just wondering where people train outside of training, other than their backyard or their usual training ground?

I've finally managed to get myself a reasonable collection of agility equipment so that I can set up sequences and short courses, and now I'm having a lot of trouble finding somewhere suitable to train :laugh:

So where do you do your training?

I use my backyard - I am lucky to have enough space to set up some equipment, though the last place I rented (I own now) was better as it was flatter and more open. That is if I use equipment. I do other exercises such as send aways, drive work etc at the park when I go for a walk.

I use my backyard - I am lucky to have enough space to set up some equipment, ...... That is if I use equipment. I do other exercises such as send aways, drive work etc at the park when I go for a walk.

Ditto this :laugh:

I practice stays, recalls, etc at the park as well.

back yard. but depending on your dog (ie trustworthy without a fence or lead!) you could go down to a park... or if you are lucky and have a fenced area you could go to?? dog park wouldnt work v well...

sport oval of some sort that you could sneak onto??

or you could talk to local council and see what public areas they think you should use?? (is this their job to ensure there are suitable areas like this for people to use?? not sure..)

Yes I used my backyard too until recently when bindi took over.

The bindi were still green and didn't seem to be sticking. I went barefoot while training with the dogs and decided that yes, it did hurt. That day in particular one dog was jumping with a paw in the air. We're not very tough.

Its a large rented yard and we can't water lawns at all so its a bit hard to fight the bindi.

Haven't decided where to train but we don't have any agility school or trainers where I am anyway so I am finding it very discouraging. In the new year I must sort something out.

Unfortunately my backyard is out as it is too steep, even though its a great size and would be ideal. :rofl:

She's completely reliable off-lead - nothing else in the world matters when there's some equipment in front of her so thats not the issue, its just a lot of the parks around here are too small or have heaps of small shrubs/trees and seats around (lovely parks but just not enough open space!).

Soccer ground would be perfect as it has car access, flat and plenty of room but the council don't maintain it very well and its usually got too much long grass, footy field is of course perfectly maintained but no dogs allowed.

The only other places which would be suitable over summer are the two school grounds but I'm thinking thats probably not that "socially acceptable"??? :rofl: I could always give them a try until someone kicks us off...

Skip - for the bindi there's a range of specific herbicides that get rid of it... possibly too late now but worth spraying the lawn in Autumn or early Spring next year. One I used was called Bin-Die, I used it to get rid of the clover in my lawn and it was very effective. :)

Edited by feralpup

why not just ask the school? If you make it clear that you wouldnt leave mess out there etc they may be happy to let you practice there...

Agree, quite often they will let you if you promise to clean up after yourselves.

• 1 month later...
The only other places which would be suitable over summer are the two school grounds but I'm thinking thats probably not that "socially acceptable"???

On the contrary, a lot of school principals would rather see their facilities used after hours by responsible members of the community, as it deters vandalism, which is a very real worry for a lot of schools. Give their office a ring and have a chat with someone there and you might be very surprised as to how receptive they are to the idea.

I have permission to use the local primary school sports oval outside of school hours. We just throw a frisbee or a ball and do some obedience training, and it's great because the oval is fully fenced and I can let him off the leash without any worries. As long as I clean up any mess, I can use the oval any time that school's not in.

Western Vic Ruthless :rock:

I have trained a few times on the school grounds in the last week or so, through absolutely no choice :rock: No issues so far! :rock:

Cannot believe how disgustingly slack this council is, my favourite training ground is over a foot deep in grass and clover (bees!!) but the other half a dozen or so are not much different. Even the school grounds went completely unmowed from when the school year finished, and have only just been mowed over the past week or so. Yes we are very lucky to still have grass growth around here but its an unusual situation for us not to. :rock:

Honestly many of the paddocks cut for silage & hay around here are in better condition than our council grounds & parks :)

Council is going to get a serve very shortly :D

Edited by feralpup

All of the schools in our area have signs on the fences saying that you will be charged if you enter the school grounds outside of school times.

But we are very lucky here as we do have a lot of great parks and leash free areas (including one fully fenced one which has agility equipment in it) where we can train. Also I teach gymnastics and :) I sometimes take the dogs into the gym to do some training.

All of the schools in our area have signs on the fences saying that you will be charged if you enter the school grounds outside of school times.

That's a bit sad, especially if they're public schools because they are actually owned by the taxpayers. Our local government schools seem to be very receptive to the public using their facilities.