A Trainers Debate With The Rspca

Rom

I did have good experiences with positive training when i started- hence why i still refer many people in Perth to Kathy Koppellis McLeod. I don't know anyone in Perth who i would refer to as a really good balanced trainer- certainly not Bark Busters! But over here i know a fair few who i would consider to be exactly that. I just came to recognise that it does not work for every dog and that i needed to broaden my horizons as far as training concepts and techniques went.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a dog trainer but have a lot of experience training horses and the first thing that came to mind reading the RSPCA's response was that horses have been domesticated for a very long time as well and selectively bred but they still retain strong herd flight instincts. If you wave a bag at it it will still run away.

We selectively breed animals easier to work with, that are more useful, and good to get along with, but at the end of the day a dog is still a dog with millions of years of primal instincts, as is the horse.

Saying it isn't so doesn't make it not so; dogs and horses can't read lol

Edited by tunagirll

Sure, but unless we live or spend significant time, with the dogs....we really have no idea.

The RSPCA, seems to me, takes the safe option and politically correct, methods.

From my experience rescue dogs from private breeders and individuals, have more ++++++++behaviour problems, than those rescued from the RSPCA.

I disagree Lablover, and i saw the assessments that were being done- not what i would ever consider to be good assessment procedures. My problem is that their stance and some procedures/ temp testsing comes from a position of ignorance, not knowledge and resulting choice.

I disagree Lablover, and i saw the assessments that were being done- not what i would ever consider to be good assessment procedures. My problem is that their stance and some procedures/ temp testsing comes from a position of ignorance, not knowledge and resulting choice.

Please explain, and sorry for going off topic. Regarding assessments, I should imagine, unless the RSPCA had endless funds, perfect testing is impossible? Out of establishment etc?

Is the thread about the RSPCA's temperament testing of dogs that come into their shelter? I didn't think so, but if so, then I've misunderstood Mark's point of his letter. :)

Edited by Erny

Is the thread about the RSPCA's temperament testing of dogs that come into their shelter? I didn't think so, but if so, then I've misunderstood Mark's point of his letter. :cheers:

I did apologise for changing the topic. Lets face it, the subject (abet not directly related to the RSPCA suggested methods) and has many dedicated threads.

Initially I simply enquired if any posters had personally rescued a dog from the organisation.

Cut me, I bleed. :laugh:

Cut me, I bleed. :cheers:

I actually posted my question before I realised you'd posted with an "off topic" comment. So sorry, LL ..... no cuts from me.

You weren't the first person to begin talking about what the RSPCA does in relation to temperaments of the dogs in their care and why ..... so I really did begin to wonder if it was myself who was reading the OP incorrectly.

Edited by Erny

LL, an example of what type of dog might fail the RSPCA temp test:

Lab gets second chance

Would the results have been different if the RSPCA accepted balanced training? I haven't read the whole thread again, but if I remember correctly the dog in the thread was at the Fairfield Shelter in Brisbane and they have their own training classes and behaviourist on staff. To me that says something about their belief as to what kind of cases the type of training they promote can fix?

When I was with the RSPCA, while I was involved with rescue, foster and rehome, it was in an unofficial capacity because even though their was a fundraising committee and thrift shop in town, there was no official shelter. Each case was judged on an individual basis by a local trainer. No set system was used for temp testing.

When I was with the RSPCA, while I was involved with rescue, foster and rehome, it was in an unofficial capacity because even though their was a fundraising committee and thrift shop in town, there was no official shelter. Each case was judged on an individual basis by a local trainer. No set system was used for temp testing.

Exactly the same for me except we had a system set by Malaga and it was the vets who did the testing, they wouldn't use a trainer as we didn't use their training programme. A few fights along the way and almost lost one dog as he failed the set guidelines but a test by another vet the next day which I attended the dog passed with flying colours.