Calming Dogs When There Are Visitors

Sayly

Our three dogs are predominantly outside dogs, and are always outside when visitors are here. It’s my parent’s rules, if it was my house they would be inside/outside dogs. They can see in the screen door straight into our main living area, and when we are home we are usually outside with them anyway. When we have visitors and the visitors are inside they show a bit of interest, watch them for a moment through the door then go back to sleeping or doing whatever they were doing. However it’s completely different when a visitor walks outside. All three dogs will jump up and get overexcited.

Poppy’s obedience is pretty good but when a visitor is outside she will sit/drop for a moment when told but is almost straight back up again jumping until she has calmed down. Poppy is 2 years old and a Bull Terrier cross, we think with some sort of working dog. She’s easy to train and picks things up quickly, she’s a lot more people orientated than the others.

Gracie knows the basics (she’s good for sit and come, her stays and downs are a bit sloppy, [Dad doesn’t think she needs anymore training and she’s not very intelligent GRRR]) but she gets downright silly when there is someone new around, especially a child. She jumps up and does not listen. Gracie is about 3 now, she’s a Border Terrier.

Ruby is the youngest at about 10months and never used to jump but has picked it up from the other dogs. She isn’t as bad as the other two but it’s still not acceptable. She’s an Irish Terrier and her basic obedience isn’t the best. She’s Mum’s dog to train but with Mum’s cancer she hasn’t had the time she deserves. I don’t want to take over her training but she’s getting nowhere. I’ve mentioned to Mum several times she needs more time spent on her but it hasn’t happened, so looks like I’ll be doing that too, until Mum picks it up again.

If each dog meets the visitor on their own generally they are calmer and Poppy especially is much more likely to stay in a sit or drop when told. I’m not sure if it’s competition for attention or if their excitement builds off each other.

I have done some more reading today and will be introducing the NILIF, they already have to do something for any food they receive but they do not have to do anything for attention, so I think this is part if not the main part of the problem. My problem with the NILIF is that I’m not the only one in the household, and have tried several times to explain important things about training to my parents, especially with my own dog Poppy but my Dad is stubborn and thinks his way is best. Enforcing the NILIF with him and my brother will be more difficult than anything I think.

Poppy is also absolutely in love with my boyfriend and is insanely excited when he comes over. She doesn’t take her eyes off him and is all over him when he goes outside. But she doesn’t listen to him. She adores him but doesn’t seem to have any respect for him at all. Once she calms down she will do as he asks most of the time, but not like she will for me. When she is excited there is no hope.

So my plan of attack is NILIF for all dogs, basic obedience with Ruby and possibly Gracie as well as the normal amount I put in with Poppy, my boyfriend is to completely ignore the dogs when he goes outside until they calm down then he will tell Poppy to sit and if she does THEN she gets attention, so NILIF with him also.

Does this sound right? What else can I do? How do I calm them down when visitors are around?

So my plan of attack is NILIF for all dogs, basic obedience with Ruby and possibly Gracie as well as the normal amount I put in with Poppy, my boyfriend is to completely ignore the dogs when he goes outside until they calm down then he will tell Poppy to sit and if she does THEN she gets attention, so NILIF with him also.

Does this sound right? What else can I do? How do I calm them down when visitors are around?

Your plan sounds good. The other thing I have used successfully recently with my two and visitors is to enforce a space around myself and visitors using the command "Back". I would go out in the yard with a visitor and if one of my dogs came closer than 2 metres I would say "Back" and move towards them until they complied. They learnt very quickly. I don't ask them to sit or stay but just to maintain the two metre distance from visitors. You need to watch your body language and stay calm and quiet while doing this. Apparently, leaning forward makes the dogs think you're not serious. As you have four dogs you may have to teach them in groups.

I also use this when unloading groceries, etc.

If this doesn't work, I would put the offenders up on leads and make them sit until they are calm.

If the dogs don't respect your boyfriend find him some reading on leadership.

Good luck with your program and looking after everyone else's dogs :)

Today's visitors were a mixed bag, my Mum's cousin has had Bull Terriers, Pitties, Goldens and some were quite difficult. She was great with the dogs being stupid, stayed calm and told them to sit or get down in a gruff voice, and if they ignored they got a swift push off. Her daughter who doesn't live with her was a typical 8 year old who doesn't see dogs much, squeeling and was a bit nervous. I didn't realise she had come outside until it was too late otherwise two of the dogs would have been put in the laundry.

My BF tells the dogs to get down but pays them attention at the same time. From now on he will ignore them and turn away until they calm down and then he will tell them to sit/drop, when they do they will get attention.

I think for a while at least the dogs should meet visitors in either pairs or on their own, not all three dogs at once. They are alot calmer when it isn't all three of them.

Screaming kids who sneak out by themselves are the worst! I've had one do this at my house before. When I have children over, I make sure the adult to child ratio is adhered to. I go out to control the dogs and there is one adult for each child. This is just my own rule not everyone has to have this rule :) Once the same kids are more comfortable, and now that my dogs rarely jump on anyone, I send one adult for all the kids and me for the dogs. This works very well for me. On Christmas day I had a four and a five year old running around the backyard and the dogs played together well away from them. I was very proud of them :) .

For BF, I'm not so sure he needs to turn his back. I prefer people to walk around the yard without looking at, speaking to or touching the dogs. I've heard that otherwise, the dogs think the person is weak. Walking around and ignoring your minions is good pack leadership.

And i just realised I miscounted your dogs and you only have three.

Have fun :)

Thank you BellasPerson, I'll get him to just ignore them and act like they aren't there instead of turning around. I don't feel Poppy has any respect for him and sees him as a big playmate because whenever he is there he will play with her.

Teach them to sit before getting any pats from anyone. They cannot jump and carry on if their bums are on the ground :D.

You can train this yourself- start each dog individually.

Then add distractions e.g. another person walking past, ignoring you both, then speaking to you etc.

Then do it with 2 dogs, no distractions, then with distraction and so on.

You can enlist friends to be visitors and use treats as a reward for sitting while they learn what you want, then later intermittently as a "reminder".

Turning backs is good to ignore, even walking away to an area where dog's can't follow. Then start again, rewarding the good, ignoring the unwanted behaviour.

Thanks Poodle Wrangler. :laugh: Gotta grab a bunch of dog savy friends to help out now.

Does anyone know a way I can make visitors not such a big deal? I hope with age the dogs may calm down but don't think that will happen.

Our three dogs are predominantly outside dogs, and are always outside when visitors are here. It’s my parent’s rules, if it was my house they would be inside/outside dogs. They can see in the screen door straight into our main living area, and when we are home we are usually outside with them anyway. When we have visitors and the visitors are inside they show a bit of interest, watch them for a moment through the door then go back to sleeping or doing whatever they were doing. However it’s completely different when a visitor walks outside. All three dogs will jump up and get overexcited.

Poppy’s obedience is pretty good but when a visitor is outside she will sit/drop for a moment when told but is almost straight back up again jumping until she has calmed down. Poppy is 2 years old and a Bull Terrier cross, we think with some sort of working dog. She’s easy to train and picks things up quickly, she’s a lot more people orientated than the others.

Gracie knows the basics (she’s good for sit and come, her stays and downs are a bit sloppy, [Dad doesn’t think she needs anymore training and she’s not very intelligent GRRR]) but she gets downright silly when there is someone new around, especially a child. She jumps up and does not listen. Gracie is about 3 now, she’s a Border Terrier.

Ruby is the youngest at about 10months and never used to jump but has picked it up from the other dogs. She isn’t as bad as the other two but it’s still not acceptable. She’s an Irish Terrier and her basic obedience isn’t the best. She’s Mum’s dog to train but with Mum’s cancer she hasn’t had the time she deserves. I don’t want to take over her training but she’s getting nowhere. I’ve mentioned to Mum several times she needs more time spent on her but it hasn’t happened, so looks like I’ll be doing that too, until Mum picks it up again.

If each dog meets the visitor on their own generally they are calmer and Poppy especially is much more likely to stay in a sit or drop when told. I’m not sure if it’s competition for attention or if their excitement builds off each other.

I have done some more reading today and will be introducing the NILIF, they already have to do something for any food they receive but they do not have to do anything for attention, so I think this is part if not the main part of the problem. My problem with the NILIF is that I’m not the only one in the household, and have tried several times to explain important things about training to my parents, especially with my own dog Poppy but my Dad is stubborn and thinks his way is best. Enforcing the NILIF with him and my brother will be more difficult than anything I think.

Poppy is also absolutely in love with my boyfriend and is insanely excited when he comes over. She doesn’t take her eyes off him and is all over him when he goes outside. But she doesn’t listen to him. She adores him but doesn’t seem to have any respect for him at all. Once she calms down she will do as he asks most of the time, but not like she will for me. When she is excited there is no hope.

Quote from Bonmedia. Have read some of the answers you have received. All sound solid and good information.

Perhaps you could tether the dogs before the visitors walk outside, and get them to just ignore the dogs for a few minutes. They they could sit and talk to them for a further few minutes, and let the dogs off, once they are calm

Have found this usually works well.

Thank you Bonmedia. :cry:

BellasPerson I started on the 'back' today when the dogs were excited to see me (was away over night) and it worked really well, really quickly. Hopefully it will work with strangers around.