Puppy Yelling Etiquette

Guest Tess32

Guest Tess32

I now have to start training Noah for when the time comes we go back to work and he has to stay in his run outside for a few hours. He is a big HOWLER, so I'm a bit worried about the neighbours having a breakdown over this extremely loud little monster.

Should we talk to them and ask them to be patient?

He will probably start crying straight away so I can't really do very brief periods before he begins :(

Any advice?

I now have to start training Noah for when the time comes we go back to work and he has to stay in his run outside for a few hours. He is a big HOWLER, so I'm a bit worried about the neighbours having a breakdown over this extremely loud little monster.

Yes, if you let them know what's going on they will feel that you are including them. They would also be able to help by giving you feedback from when you are gone.

He will probably start crying straight away so I can't really do very brief periods before he begins :(

Any advice?

Do you have a crate or an indoor puppy pen? I'd start by confining him away from you inside the house. Let him learn to settle in the house and then that will transfer more easily to the outside run.

you need to get him used to spending time away from you from the very start, think how upset he and the neighbours will be if he is just dumped outside all day and ends up howling the whole time!

Is he used to the run? Do you feed him in there, play games in there? Pop him in there when you are in the garden putting the washing out or whatever? What do you do with him now if you need to nip out to the shops?

Tess, I'd probably tell the neighbours and maybe take him round to introduce him to them, so they can see he is not a complete monster? :(

I'd also probably get him used to being away from you for a while, in a play pen outside or in a different room in a crate sounds like a good idea.

Guest Tess32
you need to get him used to spending time away from you from the very start, think how upset he and the neighbours will be if he is just dumped outside all day and ends up howling the whole time!

Is he used to the run? Do you feed him in there, play games in there? Pop him in there when you are in the garden putting the washing out or whatever? What do you do with him now if you need to nip out to the shops?

He begins to whinge as soon as he's left alone. He's crated in my bedroom at night, has periods in a puppy pen in the lounge during the day, and I feed him either in the crate or run. He settles down eventually in the crate but still cries a lot.

He's only been here three days so haven't left the house yet. I want him quiet in the run before my other dog stays outside (in a run but outside Noah's run) as his whinging annoys him.

My question is that I'm BEGINNING training him in the run so no, he's not used to it as I am asking how to begin without upsetting the neighbours during his initial crying period....

Guest Tess32

Yes, if you let them know what's going on they will feel that you are including them. They would also be able to help by giving you feedback from when you are gone.

Any advice?

Do you have a crate or an indoor puppy pen? I'd start by confining him away from you inside the house. Let him learn to settle in the house and then that will transfer more easily to the outside run.

He's crated at night but still cries for up to an hour before he settles down - and interrupts with brief crying. This is only the third night but I only have three weeks before he'll be alone in the day.

Early days yet - he's still getting used to the new home and being away from siblings.

I'd be keeping on with confining him away from you at times during the day as well as the crating at night.

After he's been with you about a week or so, then start short daytime sessions in the run at times you anticipate he will sleep - feeling sleepy should shorten the crying times.

Edited by sidoney

Yes tell your neighbours, I'm sure they will appreciate it.

My new pup is the loudest border I have had. I am very glad I don't have neighbours!

With the crate/run training I figure if Poppy yells then I have probably left her for too long. So I am doing it in tiny bits of time. I am trying to let her out before she yells. It is a pain if she does start yelling as then I have to leave her there for a while.

I'm doing it with food, at dinner time. Puppy in crate with dinner, too busy eating to cry. Started off with door open. Then shut door. Am building time up after she finishes eating. Same principle with the run. Chicken wings take a while to scoff!