Sliced Paw Pad

ILFC

Hi Everyone,

Grover stepped on glass today. I took him to the vet as there was blood everywhere and I was unsure as to whether there was glass in it. They irrigated and flushed it and then put powder on it (anti bacterial or antibiotic) and wrapped it. My question is- would you take him back to the vet to have it removed in five days (as the vet suggested) or just remove it yourself? It was not a serious wound- it was like a slice. What do you think?

i would assess it on case basis..if u look at the wound and it appears to be healing well,clean it up yourself. However Im not all that far from the vet and follow up visits are free so i take advantage and re weigh and ask lots of Q's while there!!

Forge has cut his foot on glass a couple of times (smashed glass on our walks makes me :rolleyes: ). We just tried to keep him fairly inactive until it healed - he did a good job of keeping them clean himself, so we just washed them out initially and left him to it, but regularly inspected them for any signs of infection and his healing progress. They didn't casue him any grief, but if they had we would have been off to the vet. He was fine to go on walks again about 3 days after the cut happened.