Second Puppy

narelle

I have a 6 month old beagle named Tyler. He's a good boy and he a smart boy who learns things fast. Although we go on walks everyday (sometimes twice) and he has a big backyard that we play in, he still has a lot of excess energy. I knew when i got a beagle that they can be bundles of energy and i love that about him, but sometimes this excess energy turns into naughty behaviour, normally wanting to chase the bunnies, horses, cats and humans . I was planning on getting a second dog and would love any opinions on weather this would help or possibly make things worse. Also any opinions on what breed to get that could keep up with him when he gets in these nutty moods would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I think the most important things people forget when they get a beagle is there pack dogs.

This doesnt mean you should have 2 off them but they do better with company.

There is no guarantee another dog will make him happier /less destructive etc & a second dog should only be considered if all the humans want the responsability of 2 dogs & all the costs associated with it.

As for a second dog something of similiar size where ideally they can enjoy each others company.

depending on whether your dog is inside or out will also depend on what breed will be suited to the living arrangement.

I have 2 very energetic pups, 3 months apart - the older one is 9 months and the younger acts like she is 3mths. Mine are sheepdogs so energy+.

I think if I did it again I would wait until the first one is 9 mths. He has just now started using the 'adult' way of reprimanding the younger one, instead of being really rough. At 6 months a pup is still in the adolescent phase and can be bossy, self centred, jealous and trying.

It is far easier to distract one pup. I am afraid 2 puppies mean 5 times the trouble! They egg each other on, they bark and chase things 5 times as much, they chase each other, they chase nothing, they fight, rumble, snap, and get jealous. And you may also need to take the 2nd pup for seperate walks to make sure it sees to you as master.

If you have the time and patience or there is (a very patient) person living with you who can be the other pup's master give it a go. It is adorable to see them playing together (when they are not jealously fighting). Otherwise you might waiting until you beagle is at least 1yr and giving him lots of big bones in the mean time and find a playmate in the neighbourhood.

I dunno, if you havent got the first one trained youll be struggling if you get another one then youll have two dogs wanting to chase but I dont think you can blame dogs for wanting to chase rabbits theyre natural prey. Chasing horses is a no no if the dog ever gets out and chases other peoples stock it could get shot.

I think you're better to wait until your Beagle is fully trained to the standard that you're happy with. A new pup would copy the other dogs habits good & bad. They need separate training & walks so they don't become so focused on each other that they won't obey you.

I have 2 dogs that are 7 yrs apart & when the younger one was a puppy they became the best of friends.

Also, with Beagles I've heard you shoudn't let them off lead as they put their heads down to follow a scent & forget where they are. Lots of food based training to help get used to other animals without chasing them.

I spoke to a beagle breeder nearby before i got tyler and she recommended not to get both dogs together for the reasons you all mentioned, that it would be too much to handle, but two dogs is a good idea for beagles. I guess what i'm trying to figure out is at what stage is best to get him a friend.

I should have said before the rabbits, horses and tyler are separated, he chases them as far as the fence goes, no one is in danger, he just stirs them up sometimes.

Thank you everyone