Melbourne Schutzhund Club

some people might call it that but

a character test are a bit different i dont know many people that use it beside the RAAF there wourd be others though

but like you said they are to test the dog reactions to certin test and if they dont reach the level needed it gets passed on and they get another dog

i wanted to have a go with my rottie just for the experiance

but my trainer told me he would pass

so i left it at that

a character test are a bit different i dont know many people that use it beside the RAAF there wourd be others though

but like you said they are to test the dog reactions to certin test and if they dont reach the level needed it gets passed on and they get another dog

so i left it at that

I am starting up this year to try to get my girl her BH :o She is so rock solid bomb-proof on things like fireworks but I believe too soft for any of the character/protection work. But I have found she loves the other Sch work and think it will really suit her and complement her ANKC Obedience :rofl:

So Arya, you wouldnt mind if somebody sold you a pup as being suitable for Schutzhund, saying the father on his first day of training accomplished things that take many months of hard training and you ended up finding out that the "breed" could not compete in this country? If it wasnt to sell pups I dont mind what anybody says about their dogs, but when it becomes a sales pitch it is wrong not to be honest. However if I am wrong and the dog is that good then I would be rather interested in their dogs.

Cheers

Katrina

so i left it at that

I was really interested in joining a club a while ago as the level of control in those dogs is incredible and I thought my boy would enjoy it. After reading more about the temperament requirements though, it was pretty clear to me that he wouldn't last 2 minutes without going to pieces :eek:

Only if you were already in the know.

If I was going to buy a dog to do earth dog comepetitions I would investigate what is involved and wouldnt choose a great dane.

If I was to buy a dog for retrieving trails I would find out what dogs do well in that.

If I was buying a dog for sch I would know that a pappilion might not be a breed for me

common sense.

Few years ago where there was no internet avaialble like it is now, yes maybe you wouldnt find out things at the click of the mouse, but now...........

If someone is interested in sch how did they learn about it?

you are right JJ

perhaps you can explain somehtng to me if you know.

Apparently we have two organisations doing/governing sch in Australia - SA and AUS.

With such a unpopular sport why are there 2?

What are the "politics" behind it?

Edited by myszka

I will touch on it lightly.

SA was originaly the Working German Shepherd Dog Club of Australia which was trying to seek recognition under WUSV.

AUS is the official dogsport club, which is under FCI ruling, so all dogs listed as guarding and herding breeds under the FCI guidlines are eligible to compete.

So Arya, you wouldnt mind if somebody sold you a pup as being suitable for Schutzhund, saying the father on his first day of training accomplished things that take many months of hard training and you ended up finding out that the "breed" could not compete in this country? If it wasnt to sell pups I dont mind what anybody says about their dogs, but when it becomes a sales pitch it is wrong not to be honest. However if I am wrong and the dog is that good then I would be rather interested in their dogs.

Cheers

Katrina

Well, yes I would mind Katrina. But, first I would actually investigate the sport before I believed any rhetoric someone tried to sell me. I'd find out what the sport was about by contacting the clubs etc. Then I'd know the person was feeding me BS and just dismiss as a bit of a blow-hard who didn't know what they were on about. I agree it's wrong not to be honest. But Sch isn't a sport to enter without investigation, which I guess you could say for any dogsport or any other type of sport too :confused: