Perfect Recall Training Using Ecollar

Beagle ears are OK too I suppose :(

I don't think it works as an antibark collar as it has no automatic settings.

I have been using it to reduce barking while I'm here by recalling Bella (my barker) whenever she barks and that works well.

My dogs don't bark excessively though, I just have one whinger in the street so have reduced their noise down to minimal. I also lock them in a dog run in the middle of the yard when I'm out - not very often cause I mostly work from home.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beagle ears are OK too I suppose :(

I don't think it works as an antibark collar as it has no automatic settings.

I have been using it to reduce barking while I'm here by recalling Bella (my barker) whenever she barks and that works well.

My dogs don't bark excessively though, I just have one whinger in the street so have reduced their noise down to minimal. I also lock them in a dog run in the middle of the yard when I'm out - not very often cause I mostly work from home.

Thanks BP - the recall idea is a good one.

Recall is the number one thing I would like to work on with Daisy. I never thought I would say training recall in a husky was easy, but it was compared to training recall in a scent hound :(

Recall is the number one thing I would like to work on with Daisy. I never thought I would say training recall in a husky was easy, but it was compared to training recall in a scent hound :(

Scent hounds are a challenge :( and Beagles are not known for their superior recall :laugh: . Well done on training the husky, a friend of mine has been trying for years without success.

Good luck sorting her out.

Scent hounds are a challenge :laugh: and Beagles are not known for their superior recall :p . Well done on training the husky, a friend of mine has been trying for years without success.

Good luck sorting her out.

Thanks BP. I wouldn't be confident enough to say Micha has 100% recall in every situation, because he is not good with all dogs I wouldn't let him off lead in a busy dog area etc so it is still a work in progress. He is very good and responsive in all the places I have trained him but I think the e-collar would be good to use with him to polish up :rofl:

He is not your typical Sibe, he is very owner orientated, placid and sooky (it came with age, four or so years ago he was a terror :p ).

ETA: I must admit I do love a challenge!! :( The reward always feel so much bigger.

Edited by huski

Just want to add, my Dobe had next to no recall not even in her own back yard. She knew very well what it meant, but just chose not to. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, I think I did both.

When I had my ecollar training at K9's I was almost beside myself when we took her to the paddock next door, that is fulll of rabbit holes and god knows what else, she went off to do some exploring and each time I called her she came back. 100%.

What the ecollor also did for us was open up a line of communication, where she had to learn to listen and obey and I could train her without getting frustrated and annoyed. Training became fun and much more possitive.

I love my ecollar. I am certain if I was able to give my girl the choice between, ecollar = off lead or no collar =no off lead, She'd choose the collar.

As for scent hounds and recall, I also have a Weim and her recall is outstanding, no ecollar, I didn't even have to work at it.

Just want to add, my Dobe had next to no recall not even in her own back yard. She knew very well what it meant, but just chose not to. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, I think I did both.

Oh look, a Little Britain fan who uses an ecollar! Cool! :(

Isn't it "swim in rivers... wearing dresses and hats.... and sh!t"? :(

Sorry. Eh eh ehhhhh. Back on topic :laugh:

H: I think I will ask our trainer about the e-collar, it sounds like a great training tool to use on a hound doggie.

K9: They provide great results on Beagles.... :laugh:

Can the e-collar you use for training your GSPs be used as an anti-bark collar too?

K9: yes, but anti bark collars are automatic, no interaction required so they work even if your not home, remote trainers only work when you are there to press the button.. So say you had a dog that barked to get your attention, then they are perfect..

There is one thing about beagles, they love the sound of their own voice! I am almost at the end of my tether with the barking, I feel like I have tried everything

K9: We have had some great results with the Air Spray collars (Jet Care) on Beags...

EH: When I had my ecollar training at K9's I was almost beside myself when we took her to the paddock next door, that is fulll of rabbit holes and god knows what else, she went off to do some exploring and each time I called her she came back. 100%.

K9: thats the whole idea :laugh: I told you to trust me... :rofl:

It helped that Ziggy already had some of my training concepts installed, getting her to 100% reliable wasnt a big jump...

K9: thats the whole idea :laugh: I told you to trust me... :D

It helped that Ziggy already had some of my training concepts installed, getting her to 100% reliable wasnt a big jump...

OK well it was a big jump for me. :rofl: I was sure she would run off. Then boy did here drive pick up after that!!

Edited by Emily Howard

H: I think I will ask our trainer about the e-collar, it sounds like a great training tool to use on a hound doggie.

K9: They provide great results on Beagles.... :laugh:

Can the e-collar you use for training your GSPs be used as an anti-bark collar too?

K9: yes, but anti bark collars are automatic, no interaction required so they work even if your not home, remote trainers only work when you are there to press the button.. So say you had a dog that barked to get your attention, then they are perfect..

There is one thing about beagles, they love the sound of their own voice! I am almost at the end of my tether with the barking, I feel like I have tried everything

K9: We have had some great results with the Air Spray collars (Jet Care) on Beags...

Thanks Steve, would you find an air spray collar (I have looked into them in the past) would work as effectively once a dog has been trained using an e-collar?

H: Thanks Steve, would you find an air spray collar (I have looked into them in the past) would work as effectively once a dog has been trained using an e-collar?

K9: We have completed extensive testing on these collars & found them quote good (Jet Care cold spray). Quite good meaning around 70 - 80 % effective where static pulse no bark collars were excellent at around 95 - 99%.

These results were from our own tests not manufacturers or other places.

Jet Care is the best option for those not wanting to use electronics for what ever reason. They dont cause the issues citronella can cause...

I personally would be using the electronics though, no refills, high success rate...

You may find that the cold air spray training collar will not be suitable for dogs focused in high drive.

If it's just for general obedience around the home, and your dog isn't an overly high drive/intensely focused dog, then yes a very good training collar.

In regards to drive, I am not of course speaking about food drive. I am talking about high levels of prey, fight (Active aggression), defence (reactive aggression), social drive, etc....

Edited by MarkS

Thursday update:

We have taken our show on the road today and headed off to the dog park. Took the dogs in one at a time and let them run with other dogs. After a few recall practices they started racing back to me ;) full pelt. I managed to recall them away from chasing birds, running with dogs and sniffing good smells. By the end of half an hour the dogs were responding most of the time without a stimulation. Bella even did a sit stay in the middle of dogs playing.

When it was time to go, I called their names and they sprinted to me from the other side of the doggy park and sat to put on their leads. Someone has kidnapped my real dogs and replaced them with these perfect angels :) . That's the first time I've been to a dog park and not been embarrased :)

Thanks guys.

I couln't believe it either. There was a little dominant female who was challenging Bella (also dominant), I told Bella to "leave it" and she did.

This gadget has so many other side effects I can't believe it. I feel utterly safe because I know I have total control of the dogs :) .

Yesterday I took the dogs to my sisters house for the day. They have two aviaries which bella had decided to attack - she jumps on them - despite all my efforts to train her out of it. As a result, bella spent our last 2 visits there tied on a long lead alternating with episodes of being walked on a long lead.

Sunday I let bella offlead and waited for her to try her attack on the aviary (this did not take long). As soon as she touched I stimmed her and called her back. She raced back to me. We repeated the exercise three times and I was ready to keep practicing but that was it. She ran off to play and left the aviaries alone :D . For the rest of the day, I recalled her if she came within 3m of the aviary.

How easy is that :)

I forgot to update about saturday's adventure :)

On saturday the dogs were barking in the backyard which they never do. I went out to investigate and found them both sitting at the fence barking at a huge python (carpet snake) balanced on top of the fence. I thanked the dogs profusely for finding our first snake. I stimmed them and called them back. I then left them inside while the snaked wended its way up one of our trees.

I was very proud cause they found the snake but did not try and attack it :rock: . It was very big, I wouldn't have attacked it either!

I am now doing bed checks as I don't know where the carpet snake sleeps at night :D