Perfect Recall Training Using Ecollar

We had to spend another two days in the rain. I love the rain though so that was OK :cry:

We have been to the dog park to practice recall under high distraction - running dogs, swooping birds and butterflies all in one place. The dogs are both so easy to control now that it is simple. We don't normally go to dog parks and won't become regulars. Just a good place to practice recalls.

Today walked on lead for an hour then I stopped at an alcove off an oval for our final practice before the beach. I tied bruno up and dropped bella's lead. Then practiced recall from very close and further away. Don't need to do many stims now to keep her coming back. She has also got the Sit at a distance here and I have also been introducing Walk which our form of non-competition heeling. We started this last week at home and today Bella followed me around and when I released her she stayed really close :wave: . This is magic as last time I let bella off at an oval (2 years ago) she ran off after magpies and found herself at home half an hour later. :eek:

Bruno had his turn after bella. He has really got the hang of this too and has caught up with Bella. He has done less obedience training but he also has far fewer distractions and has always been more obedient.

Gotta check the weather report and then it's off to the dog beach :eek: . I will keep one on lead while I work with the other.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THat is awesome!!

CAn i ask a question?

When you do recall, you call teh dog and them give them the stim to encourage them to you?

If they dont come they get the negative of the stim?

If that is not it, how does using the collar work?

Could i use an e collar to stop a dog from playing to rough? to get her to recall? to get her to be quiet and so much in over drive?

Steve, when are you coming to Melbourne? And when you do are you bringing the collars with you?

You're lucky I'm still up. The neighbours are having a domestic so I had to move the dogs beds to the back deck :wave:

There are various types of stimulation that you can use. The first is hold the stim till they've completed the task. Then switch to call them, stim once and wait for them to respond. Another method is to vary version 1 and slightly increase the stim until they start coming back and then reduce the stim. The final stage is where you stop using the stim at all. The dogs don't need it cause they know you have it and can use it.

By following this program the dogs learn that they control the stim. The stim I use is very low, about 10% of the power available.

In the dog park I recalled the dogs if they were playing too rough. In the beginning I had to stim each time but now I rarely have to. All this was impossible for me before.

It works really well for the recall and I use this to stop the dogs from barking at passing dogs etc at home. The entire program has elevated me as pack leader so everything without the collar also improves.

When I've finished the training I will be able to control the dogs without using stim and will only need the collar for emergencies.

After 3 and a half weeks, we are up to short to no stim on low to medium distraction and stim for high distraction depending on the environment.

I have been giving lectures at the dog park and have sold a setup yesterday!

Go on, you want one.... :eek:

eta ---- weather for next week - showers, rain, rain, showers, showers, showers increasing, rain. Better take my rain coat :eek:

Edited by BellasPerson

Go on, you want one.... :wave:

eta ---- weather for next week - showers, rain, rain, showers, showers, showers increasing, rain. Better take my rain coat :eek:

THanks BP.., Yeah i do want one!! I think i need one actually. I have read this with heaps of interest and am amazed adn thrilled that you have got such a response from both your dogs.

I am in awe and want tsome of what you have!!

IHF: Steve, when are you coming to Melbourne? And when you do are you bringing the collars with you?

K9: see this thread, be there in May...http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=121401

Steve, i have already sent pm, but had not gone back to check if dates were set.

Steve, i have already sent pm, but had not gone back to check if dates were set.

Hi IHF - you're on the "list". You did it by phone (message) but at the time didn't leave me a contact number. Have your PM today as well and have responded. :wave:

ETA: BP .... sorry for the hijack.

Edited by Erny

Go on, you want one.... :thumbsup:

eta ---- weather for next week - showers, rain, rain, showers, showers, showers increasing, rain. Better take my rain coat :scold:

THanks BP.., Yeah i do want one!! I think i need one actually. I have read this with heaps of interest and am amazed adn thrilled that you have got such a response from both your dogs.

I am in awe and want tsome of what you have!!

I am amazed at the dogs response as well. K9s training course is what makes it all work so well.

Good luck :thumbsup:

I have just read this thread from start to end and I had never heard of an e collar but but I am so impressed with the positive remarks about achievements in training, using this device, that I emailed K9 today wanting more information.

I have been having mega trouble with recalls - my girl just sits there and looks up in the sky (looking for birds )or belts towards me ( I smiling thinking wow this is going to be a great recall )and just keeps going past looking for something in the garden.

Some days we have a good workout and someday not, it has got to the stage that I won't even thing about a trial until we get 100% recall. I have become totally fustrated not knowing what I have been doing wrong etc .

I wil give the e collar a try but I still think it is me that is stuffing her up someway. Maybe a week with K9 will help greatly.

ok i am waiting for your beach in the rain update then :)

OK, waiting is over.

We just spent 2 hours on nudgee beach (no waves) at the dog off lead area. The dogs had a ball and made me proud. I took them off lead one at a time so I wouldn't get confused!

The beach was quiet with about 20 dogs and loads of fishermen.

Bruno has improved dramatically. Whenever he was offlead, he stuck nice and close and he walked right beside me when I asked him to. He recalled very easily most of the time. Often without needing any stimulation :thumbsup: .

Bella was also fantastic but took a little longer to recall off her highest distraction - birds flying. Most of the time she recalled very fast and by next time she should be perfect. For a bit of history, I used to let Bella off lead at an oval and a number of times she ran off and disturbed hundreds of birds. It took me a very long time to get her back. I was told at dog school that she would never be safe off lead again. This is why she has taken longer with this than Bruno.

Both dogs left other dogs and people alone when asked. I called them back if they went outside my perimeter and they soon got used to staying within it. I felt totally safe and in control the entire time. I also noticed other people starting to practice their recall because they saw me doing it. Most of them didn't have a hope....

Bruno has never swum before so in the last hour I let them both off lead and Bella taught him how to swim. It was absolutely beautifull :scold::thumbsup:

I am exhausted, better have some wine and relax :eek:

I have just read this thread from start to end and I had never heard of an e collar but but I am so impressed with the positive remarks about achievements in training, using this device, that I emailed K9 today wanting more information.

I have been having mega trouble with recalls - my girl just sits there and looks up in the sky (looking for birds )or belts towards me ( I smiling thinking wow this is going to be a great recall )and just keeps going past looking for something in the garden.

:scold::):eek: :D I know that feeling well.

Some days we have a good workout and someday not, it has got to the stage that I won't even thing about a trial until we get 100% recall. I have become totally fustrated not knowing what I have been doing wrong etc .

I wil give the e collar a try but I still think it is me that is stuffing her up someway. Maybe a week with K9 will help greatly.

As I mentioned in the previous post, with Bella she had had a great adventure off lead with the birds so it was extraordinarily difficult to get her to recall with birds around. You may not need a whole week with K9, maybe only a few lessons :thumbsup: . I went twice as dog training clubs were unable to help with my dogs.

I'm waiting for your fantastic recall updates now :thumbsup:

Bellasperson,

I LOVE it!!!!!

truly it is such an inspiration to hear how much Bella is improving!!!

I think Bella is more of an achievement than Bruno in the sense that she has some issues that need fixing.

though have two incredibly well behaved dogs is a credit to you :cheer:

Thanks guys. I appreciate your words of encouragement.

Bruno has always been so easy to train that I didn't really have to work very hard. Bella was my first ever dog and I made lots of mistakes in the first 18mths before I got K9 Forced.

It feels fantastic to finally have two dogs who are beautifully behaved :cheer: and who can now be free to be dogs :laugh: .

Today's update, Bella is up to the Sit at a Distance (SAAD) on no distraction. Bruno is still on the recall cause he has to come to my left side and we usually walk with him on the right. He's getting a bit confused, poor boy. Should have him up and running by tomorrow.

BP

--eta --poor spelling

Thats cos boys are stoopid :cheer:

Love your work BP, can you buy me one for my cat haters?

My FridayUpdate:

I had a fantastic ecollar day today. Both dogs are up to nearly their top distractions - Possums at night for bella and butterflies for Bruno. Tonight, as we were coming home bella spotted possums above us and started her beautifull highpitched screaming. I corrected her with the martingale and made her sit. I then pulled out my remote and let her out on her long lead practicing recall, sit and saad. She did them all! Bit of a delay, of course, as its her first time. But this is all 2 weeks into training and we are already working on her highest level of distraction. :cheer:

I repeated the exercise with bruno, but he does not have as many distractions as Bella so he was great from the first moment.

On low distraction, both dogs are doing avoidance rather than escape. Once we have them both sorted we just have to do Proofing which is gradually removing the stimulations for the commands.

I love my ecollar :laugh:

OMG this is just so funny. I wanna turn my dogs high pitched squealing off too :o Im almost POSITIVE with her, a LIGHTNING BOLT wouldnt stop her with cats/rabbits/possums. Even if i threw a bbq chicken infront of her.

Today's update, Bella is up to the Sit at a Distance (SAAD) on no distraction. Bruno is still on the recall cause he has to come to my left side and we usually walk with him on the right. He's getting a bit confused, poor boy. Should have him up and running by tomorrow.

BP

--eta --poor spelling

Thats cos boys are stoopid :cheer:

Love your work BP, can you buy me one for my cat haters?

Boys are very smart :o - in their own way :laugh:

Buy your own..