Perfect Recall Training Using Ecollar

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OT

Mm Sorry I completely missed this but have fixed it just for you. Eh eh eehhhh!!!

Just want to add, my Dobe had next to no recall not even in her own back yard. She knew very well what it meant, but just chose not to. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, I think I did both.

Oh look, a Little Britain fan who uses an ecollar! Cool! :happydance2:

Isn't it "swim in rivers... wearing dresses and hats.... and sh!t"? :happydance2:

Sorry. Eh eh ehhhhh. Back on topic :happydance2:

All right then. I've been busy this week again.

Last week we worked on recall at the dog park (my high distraction training area) which is going really well. This week I did SAAD and DAAD at home for half an hour and then took that to the dog park. Bella did the sit and drop really well but occassionally comes to me instead of sitting at a distance. Did a lot of practice on a tie out at home and that improved. Bruno does the SAAD easily and never tries to come out to me so he had no problems doing this at the dog park.

We now enter and leave the area with no issues. I use "This Way" without a stim instead of my recall to get the dogs to follow me as I move around. When I'm ready to go I call them and they trot over to have their leads put on. I still can't believe how easy this is :)

We get lots of admirers and everyone wants an ecollar :bottom:

I also do a lot of work at home. Bella was barking at people going past the house. I started recalling her with stim and rewarding her for coming. I very rarely have to stim now and she has changed from a very excited bark to a single "Woof - there's burglars". I do all this from the back deck or the study without having to get up and call her in from the front door. So much better.

Have to get ready for a job interview so no beach for us this weekend :)

Thanks oonga. I have to give a presentation at my interview so am madly studying possible scenarios while relaxing on dol :rofl:

I made an error yesterday and forgot to put the ecollars on. In the evening when the possums came out I could recall Bruno but Bella took a little while. :shhh:

Note to self. Don't forget to put your ecollar on in the morning............

bellasperson,

Nothing quite like studying and preparing for things whilst on DOL :rofl:

out of curiosity compared to before you started with the ecollar training,

how much time did it take Bella to recall from the possum??

To get bella out of the backyard where the possum are used to be 15 minutes up to 3 hours. This was me calling her on and off and ignoring her. It also wasn't every time, only when she lost it.

With ecollar on it is 3 seconds with a 100% success rate :rofl: . With ecollar off last night about 5 minutes I think. Better than earlier.

Bellasperson,

that is a big improvement!!!!!

sounds like she is seriously learning :)

plus it has only been just over a month!!! i had to go and check the date of your first post :rofl:

excellent work!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by oonga

Thanks again Oonga. Most of the stuff was learned by the end of 2 weeks, now just have to cut down the stims to nothing.

LL, haven't started that one yet. Still proofing all the other stuff.

From what I remember, it starts with running onto a mat on lead, and progresses from there. I think the rest might be copyright?? You'll have to ask K9 Force :clap:

Friday Progress:

We are working our way quitely through levels of distraction. Every day is better than the one before. Now every time we walk on lead I will drop one of the leads at a time and let them go off lead without fences. I am teaching them to follow me off lead.

It still feels strange that they can't run away anymore and I still expect the to bolt off into the distance ;) . This will be fantastic next time I take them on a road trip. I can let them run anywhere instead of having to find a place with fences :rofl:

I accidentally dropped bruno's collar while putting his lead on and he wandered off. He made no attempt to run away and sat on command waiting for me to put his lead on :D .

• 2 months later...

Just read this thread. Great results BellasPerson & Meriment .

The e collar seems to be the way to go but unfortunately I have just been informed that The E Collar is illegal to use in NSW so wonder how some of the NSW contributers to this thread manage to use one?

Would love to see an up date on your progress.

• 5 months later...

I've got my e-collar now (a 1902) from K9force :happydance2:

The sibes are still being conditioned or whatever its called but I'll be starting training soon, will update my progress :thumbsup:

But, how high can everyone handle? I can zap myself with nick at 127 - hurts though. Constant I can only get to 80 or so. Till about 45 it just feels like an odd tingle.

OK, finally an update on our progress. Have been too busy for doling for a while!

On last update I was practicing at walking the dogs offlead. I practiced one at a time and then both together. I can now walk both dogs offlead anywhere using 95% voice commands and the occasional stim for new situations :love: . I still can't believe I can do this and that it is, and has been, so easy :happydance2: .

Due to this new ability, the dogs and I now enjoy many more activities like exploring waterways, teaching bruno to swim (poor bruno was drowning) and exercising the dogs while travelling without having to find a fenced area. :laugh: Bliss :thumbsup:

We have done a huge road trip to canberra and I could let them run at roadside stops with no fear. I can get in and out of gates without worrying about them escaping, they come back with or without the collar. My sisters birds are free from mortal fear :provoke: . Who has birds in cages anyway?

I think that is the greatest benefit of the ecollar is that I can totally relax when I take the dogs out and they get to have lots more doggy fun :eek: .

LM, good luck. Just a hint, the dog wears the collar and you carry the remote :p .