Perfect Recall Training Using Ecollar

Thought I would post about my progress with training my two gsps, bella and bruno in the perfect recall and offlead safety. Both dogs are 90% safe offlead but this is not enough for me to allow them to swim at the beach or the river. So talked to K9 Force (Steve) and decided on a remote training device (dogtra) for two dogs and the training course.

I am on week one and am already extraordinarily impressed. It took me two days to memorise the courseware and work out my plan. I am utterly amazed at the low stim (stimulation) level required to train my dogs. They respond exactly the same to a very gently tug on the lead and have big smiles on their faces.

We now have to complete series of training under distractions and then proofing the same. After that we can all go to the beach :) (the offlead dog beach anyway)

It is the end of day three today and both dogs are already improving their recall under possum/butterfly pressure without the collar. I can't imagine how good they'll be at the end of four weeks :)

My ecollar device also has a vibration page system which I will use to teach them the signals silently. I might actually have a week where my voice doesn't get hoarse :laugh: .

Thanks Steve for putting me onto this system.

If anyone else is doing somthing similar feel free to post here as well.

Until my next update

BP

Edited by BellasPerson

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey BP... way to go!!! :o

I have to grin about how amazed you are at them working on low stim and how fast they learn & progress - it's mind blowing really hey?! :rofl:

I just started place training yesterday, teaching them to go on their mat. In 1 session of about 10-15 minutes, each of them could turn and go away from me onto their mat, with stim on and the command ("mat"), from a distance of about 1.5-2 metres from the mat... and stay there while I walked out of sight!!

E collars :rofl:

I know. It all goes so fast. I have spent a lot of time in the last 6 weeks working on my leadershiop their onlead training and their recall. But the work I put in there got nowhere near as fast as the ecollar. And they enjoy it :o . And I can train the two of them together.

Great your up to the mat. I'm still doing the first three actions but have only been going for 5 days.

Bella, Bruno and BP :rofl: ecollars.

Meriment. Good luck. I thought it would be hard with multiple dogs (for me, that is) but so far my brain hasn't fried!

Loraine. Is that a wire haired GSP or JRT? I'm doing the course by course book bought from K9 Force dog training. Costs $50 plus the ecollar which costs a little more than $50. Do you have an ecollar already?

I also improved my dogs recalls substantially by training them on a long lead so they can't get it wrong :laugh: .

----------- I can hear the rustle of my rubbish bin contents being sniffed again :laugh:

Just had another success. Bella was barking at someone walking past the house. I called her without using the ecollar and she raced into my study for her treat :laugh: This was unheard of last week. I had to keep getting up, moving closer and moving her away from her possie at the front gate.

Meriment. Good luck. I thought it would be hard with multiple dogs (for me, that is) but so far my brain hasn't fried!

Loraine. Is that a wire haired GSP or JRT? I'm doing the course by course book bought from K9 Force dog training. Costs $50 plus the ecollar which costs a little more than $50. Do you have an ecollar already?

I also improved my dogs recalls substantially by training them on a long lead so they can't get it wrong :eek: .

----------- I can hear the rustle of my rubbish bin contents being sniffed again :(

My dog is a Wire Haired Fox Terrier, has really good skills, except for legging it and not coming back until he is ready (if ever). I don't have an ecollar, but am interested in anything that will train the begger to come when called. I will get onto K9 and see if I can sort my boy out. Thanks for you reply :eek:

Quick note about ecollars if you look to buy one online. ...

I emailed customs and they said an ecollar will be confiscated if posted to Australia from overseas :).

I was looking at the antibarking type and they're far, far cheaper in the USA.

Customs said something about Federal laws applying to Customs/ Imports and state laws applying if you buy within Australia :).

I emailed customs and they said an ecollar will be confiscated if posted to Australia from overseas :) .

Customs said something about Federal laws applying to Customs/ Imports and state laws applying if you buy within Australia :) .

K9: This is correct, they are a restricted import in which a permit is required to import. Those who buy them in Australia have nothing to be concerned about though.

My dog is a Wire Haired Fox Terrier, has really good skills, except for legging it and not coming back until he is ready (if ever). I don't have an ecollar, but am interested in anything that will train the begger to come when called. I will get onto K9 and see if I can sort my boy out. Thanks for you reply :)

Before you get started you can get a 6-10m lead and improve your dogs recall as I did.

I would start with the dogs fairly close (on their long lead), call them and if they didn't come, reel them in. If they did come, praise and reward them.

Start in your own backyard. Once they come nearly all the time. Increase the distance. Keep doing this lots of times. You can also drop the lead cause you can easily step on it to get them back.

Once you have some distance try it outside your yard.

Have fun :)

BellasPerson

I emailed customs and they said an ecollar will be confiscated if posted to Australia from overseas :) .

Customs said something about Federal laws applying to Customs/ Imports and state laws applying if you buy within Australia :) .

Thanks for the reminder Poodle wrangler. The OS prices are tempting but a no go. Have to buy them in Australia as K9 says.

Glad I haven't had to resort to an ecollar for training

It took about 5 minutes to teach Bella on your mat with a clicker :)

K9: & it must have given you so much joy that you think it neccessary to go around trying to rain other peoples happiness... Give yourself a click...

I note that you didnt mention anything about the recall which is what the topic is about...

I have been using marker training for years, just using my voice, glad I didnt need a clicker... :)

I've seen K9 Force demonstrate these collars and I was very impressed.

I know everybody is after a good deal but I couldn't understand why someone would buy a training device like this through the mail. I would imagine that part of the training would require backup from an accredited expert, even a phone call if necessary.

I don't think you can learn about these aids from just a book or instruction manual alone.

It took about 5 minutes to teach Bella on your mat with a clicker :thumbsup:

K9: & it must have given you so much joy that you think it neccessary to go around trying to rain other peoples happiness... Give yourself a click...

I note that you didnt mention anything about the recall which is what the topic is about...

I have been using marker training for years, just using my voice, glad I didnt need a clicker... :happydance:

"If anyone else is doing something similar feel free to post here as well.

Until my next update"

BP

Maybe Helen was responding to this comment :thumbsup:

G: Maybe Helen was responding to this comment

K9: somehow, I doubt it... but perhaps Helen can clear that up...

BP hasnt begun any place training, so if Helen was trying to give a similar experience, she would have needed to speak of a recall... correct?

It took about 5 minutes to teach Bella on your mat with a clicker :happydance:

Helen

I don't use a clicker but I can also teach my bella on the mat and the recall without a clicker :thumbsup:

That's not the point of this discussion, I am not teaching skills, I am training and proofing under hight distraction.

I haven't resorted to an ecollar, I have carefully selected this as the best tool for myself and my dogs.

I made it clear in the topic that this is about training using the ecollar so I would prefer you to start your own topic on your success with the clicker so this topic doesn't get too messy. :thumbsup:

Good luck

BP

eta- missing sentence

Edited by BellasPerson