A Liking For Soap

My older boy has quite suddenly developed a liking for cakes of soap, he steals them from the bathroom and eats :confused: them! this has only recently started to happen so is he going a little bit loopy or is he missing something from his diet or is he doing a lot of bad language when I am not around???

Annie and her boyz

If he's a Dobermann, it's a perfectly normal breed trait :) all mine loved soap and would steal it given the chance..the GSP's have never been interested in it at all.

On the other hand, he might have something lacking in his diet, or some irritation in his gut that the soap is helping?

What kind of soap?

Many soaps are made with animal fat and plenty that are available these days are made with lots of yummy natural ingredients like oatmeal, honey, fruits, cocoa etc.

Must smell and taste pretty good for dogs :)

It wouldn't hurt to consider any dietary inadequacies just in case, what do you feed?

You can prevent this being a problem by simply moving the soap out of reach or finding a brand he doesn't fancy, or if you want more than a management solution you could try coating the soap with something your dog doesn't like the taste of to put him off.

Thanks Dolers

It is any soap and whilst I put my soap out of Carlin reach my mate doesn't!!! I now do bathroom patrol before the boyz have full run of the house!

He eats mostly natural diet and is in great shape/condition, I do not think he is lacking anything must be the taste/smell of the soap I have now (lovely oatmeal honey stuff that came for Christmas)

Annie and her boyz

Yeah, one of my GRs is so totally food obsessed :coffee: he will eat any cake of soap he can reach. I had some houseguests over the holidays and one of them left a large handmade soap on the bath hob, ginger and fig I think it was - my boy came out to the sitting room chewing something and we soon realised it was what was left of the soap....... :coffee: No ill effects though....... :laugh: