How To Train A Dog To Get Off The Rug?

i am tried every avenue i can think of and my 9week maltese still plays on the rug

i don't want my maltese to play on the rug as she is still not 100% potty trained. I am supervising her when she is on the rug and has nearly had accidents.

therefore i want her to stay off the rug until she is completely potty trained..

she likes to go on the rug to lie down, play with her toy, chew the rug etc..

i have provided her a mat for her to play on and lure her there.. after a while she jumps back onto the rug.

i have tried 'off the rug' 'come' etc..

sometimes she will listen and sometimes not.

i have also tried picking her up when she is on the rug and place her on the mat.. she then goes back to the rug.

what is the best way to keep her off?

Roll up the rug until she's toilet trained :thumbsup: . That's what I did at my house.The other stuff your doing is good and she willl get better at listening.

If you don't want to roll up the rug you would have to supervise her anytime she's in that room and move her back to her mat everytime she touches the rug.

Good luck with puppy training :thumbsup:

I agree, take the rug away. She's a baby puppy and has no more bladder control than a baby human.

I have polished floors and rugs everywhere so the dogs don't slip on the floors. All dogs will gravitate to rugs because they're comfortable to lie on and play on.

When my dogs were pups if they had an accident on the rug I cleaned it up.

efs

Edited by cavNrott

It is also a very good idea to train puppy to go on to a bed/rug. It is very handy to be able to pop a rug down in a strange place and ask doggie to go on to their bed and stay there. It is one of the first things I teach my pups so I don't have to chase them around the house worrying what mischief they are getting into. So I don't think it is a good idea to teach pup not to go on this rug as it is going to be hard for her to work out the differences in rugs.