Walking Dogs And Carrying A Stick

andoria2007

Probably. And probably so because they don't actually know how to train the dog to walk.

I found myself carrying a stick the other day when I took my dog out for a walk. Why? To wave it in front of me everytime I came across a tree or bush with cobwebs. I wondered as I carried the stick if people thought I was hitting my dog with it, not the case as it was.

Maybe it's to use to discourage unrestrained dogs from approaching or to break up a fight if need be? I used to carry an umbrella for the same reason where I used to live (off lead dogs were a real problem. When you open it quickly it really spooks the other dog and provides a psychologocal barrier too. I looked wierd carrying an umbrella in the desert, but hey!

Guest Piximatosis

Um no... I carry a stick with me on walks to beat off any strays that come to hassle us.

I can't imagine that Holly's heel would improve any if I beat her with a stick :) if anything she'd probably start lagging and pulling to get AWAY from me!!

I used to have to walk Cody with an umbrella. He had fear aggression issues when on lead and there were lots of people who walked their dogs offlead around the streets. Mind you, most of the time my best option was to simply drop the lead if the other dog seemed harmless as Cody never had a problem off lead.

There is a lady that I know through dog sports who carries a stick to make sure he doesn't walk ahead of her. He is the most beautiful dog with so much potential, its a shame he has an idiot for an owner. The dog is petrified of her.

I use an aluminum tramping pole or carry a baseball bat depending on the number of out of control dogs / idiot owners around.

My Cavalier dog has already been attacked twice by huge out of control dogs while walking at heel on lead. Hubbies boot solved the last problem but he's not always available.

I now walk with a stick because I have two dogs and two young children and I take a variety of combinations of them on my walks. In the last two months we've been attacked by a loose sharpei, a rottweiler that escaped its yard, a golden retriever (!) and a fox terrier who got out when the front gate was left open, and we have a loose staffy looking mix and a loose blue cattle dog and a loose black kelpie mix who stroll around our neighbourhood. I'm totally over it and the next dog that attacks us on our walk will end up sore.

I now walk with a stick because I have two dogs and two young children and I take a variety of combinations of them on my walks. In the last two months we've been attacked by a loose sharpei, a rottweiler that escaped its yard, a golden retriever (!) and a fox terrier who got out when the front gate was left open, and we have a loose staffy looking mix and a loose blue cattle dog and a loose black kelpie mix who stroll around our neighbourhood. I'm totally over it and the next dog that attacks us on our walk will end up sore.

Why the (!) after the Golden Retriever? They are a dog and just as likely to attack and bite as any other breed.

Do any of you ring rangers when dogs are off lead? If it is the same dog each time, get the rangers number, and ring them every time you go out. I did this, after a week the dog is no longer out roaming and scaring people and dogs.