Dandruff

Guest Tess32

My puppy has some dandruff through his coat...I'm wondering the best way to get rid of it? I used the oatmeal based shampoo but that made no difference. I have one I can order online that was recommend but wondering if there is any 'easy' solution I can get from the vet etc?

My puppy has some dandruff through his coat...I'm wondering the best way to get rid of it? I used the oatmeal based shampoo but that made no difference. I have one I can order online that was recommend but wondering if there is any 'easy' solution I can get from the vet etc?

I would add fish oil and/or EPO to his diet

Edited by laffi

What is EPO? He already has oils added to diet.

PW - well, probably not VERY thoroughly, maybe I should try again? I just can't think what it would be? It's flakey and all the way through the coat though and I can see it on the skin.

• 3 months later...

I use Healthy Paws Skin Supplement

It's a Nutritional supplementation of fatty acids can help by restoring the skin and coat to a healthier state which in turn will lead to less dandruff, coat shedding and dryness. Fatty acids can be sourced from plants, animals and fish. The most bioavailable source is found in fish and fish oil, however the extraction process can degrade the fatty acids.

Healthy Paws capsules are produced from fish oil that is known to retain adequate fatty acid levels after processing and are packaged as soft gel capsules for easy digestibility. One or two capsules a day will supplement your dogs diet and will help give a gloss to the coat and maintain a healthier skin.

These capsules contain the essential fatty acids EPA and DHA. Fatty acids are easily destroyed by the processing of commercial dog foods and deficiencies lead to dandruff and dry coat, which in turn can predispose to the 'itchy dog' syndrome.

Are you rinsing very, very thoroughly when bathing?

A little shampoo left in the coat can irritate the skin. Can also leave a residue that looks like dandruff (I've done this, myself :hug: ).

I just did the same thing and noticed on the drive up to the show :eek: