Bad Breath - Brainstorm Session

Nauty has terrible breath.

she smells like she has just gone out and eaten a chunk of poo, but she no longer has access to any poo but her own and she's not eating that. she did use to eat poo but, like i said, she no longer has access.

she is fed BARF with lots of Raw Meaty Bones. and her teeth are spick and span, except that one that never grew... hmmm... (light bulb moment, i will come back to this). Oh, and some stoopid vet recons she has ear mites *makes a derogatory hand gesture, suggesting what she thinks about the vet*

She does have that skin problem, with i am trying to work out. so far i have had the carpets professionally cleaned to remove possible allergens, and she hasn't touched grass since New Years Day. i have also treated her with Advocate and washed her with Dermaleen. She sleeps on a cotton snooza futon. But she is still itching and she skin is still very red.my next course of action is to put her on the Kangaroo flavour BARF patties, and rule out a food allergy.

What could be causeing this problem? my earlier light bulb moment was maybe her tooth that never grew is rotting away in her gum? is that even possible, and what are the chances of it? or could her breath be related to her skin problem?

i was just reading on here about Charcos, and they have activated carbon in them... could i just add fish filter carbon to her BARF instead?

othere than carbon, what else can i do to help this? i just wanna cuddle my pup and not gag!

i intend to take her to my new super vet if i rule out food allergies, but i would like to do something about her breath, or can i put it down as another sign or her skin problem?

Thanks

Here is a pic of the Stinky Girl, Juggernaut

PC250002.jpg

Edited by Crysti_Lei

Yep, ours had breath that would wilt flowers on the weekend and after a close exam she had a bit of wood wedged in her back teeth that was decaying and once removed back to lovely breath. Double check all her teeth and gums for anthing stuck...

Yep, second that. One of my dogs had a stick stuck up in the roof of his mouth and you'd have never known unless you looked.

Do you have other dogs? Is she licking stinky places (one of my dogs grooms the other ALL over, yuck!)? Not eating her own poo? Other poo?

Stink dog looks pretty healthy and glossy!

Yep, have her teeth checked.

Lip fold dermatitis is a possibility...

If she has skin problems then you may want to talk to a dermatologist, stinky breath can be symptomatic of allergies.

I'd get a full check over: stinky breath can mean a lot of things going wrong. She could even be missing something in her diet nutritionally...