Parvo And Adult Dogs

I find it hard to work out fact from fiction with Parvo, and my question is about adult dogs.

I was warned last night by a friend on the South Coast that Parvo is rife in Moruya (12 gone over the past week). There are two big sets of shows and trials on the South Coast in a few weeks time and we are entered at Bermie.

Faxon's vaccination booster is due on 3 March. The trials are 3 weeks before that on 8-9 Feb. I was thinking of getting him done this week instead. Would that give enough time for the booster to work through his system?

Also, we have two 20 month old dogs who are totally up to date and not due again for 6 months.

How much protection does the vaccination give? A friend of mine said she lost an adult saluki to Parvo despite it having been vaccinated, but I guess it might have been one of the parvo-like illnesses that got it.

I know I can't keep my dogs in a bubble, but I don't want to take unnecessary risks either...

Adult vacc dogs can get parvo .Some breds are pre disposed & many say Black/Tan breeds have a higher incidience of being affected despite all the precautions.

Personally if i new parvo was rife at an area & that the grounds used where a local park i would be inclined to stay away

Vaccines dont work on many dogs, and owners take them out in public all the time presuming they are "covered" but often it is not the case at all.

Over vaccination of a dog is very harmful, and I wouldnt advise giving it. I am quite sure your Vet will disagree however, as most wont admit how dangerous vaccines can be & the long term problems they can cause.

The only way to know if Vaccinations work on your dogs is to have it titer tested (blood test), if it has no immunity it is hardly worth vaccinating at all, as on some dogs they simply dont work . Same as puppy shots, until the dog has had a vaccination on an adult immune system they really arent covered, alot of vaccinated pups get Parvo as they were given their injections too young (6 weeks of age is common, yet VERY wrong)...........a friends Rotti is dead from Parvo a few months back, he was 11 months old having had 6,12 & 16 week C5's.......