Dogs Living Longer

i have just been on youtube watching a video on great dane feeding time,and these peoples danes are live to the age of 10 to 12 yrs because there not feeding dry food as that has so meny preservatives that are killing our dogs,i had been to a site that has given me recipes for our dogs called dog food secrets.and by doing this dogs can live up to 134% longer.

My breeder has a dane who is 12yo... she feeds a combination of dry food and raw meaty bones.

I hope the recipes from that E-Book have been developed by someone with knowledge in dog nutrition.

Edited by stormie

My breeder has a dane who is 12yo... she feeds a combination of dry food and raw meaty bones.

I hope the recipes from that E-Book have been developed by someone with knowledge in dog nutrition.

go to a web site called dog food secrets and it will tell you everything i cant explaine to much to tell.

I've seen it... I don't buy into those money making schemes very much :)

There are people here on DOL who can give you much better info for free!

i like to belive anyhting thats goning to tell me my dane could be living longer,both of those people said that in a decade danes could be living up to the age of 17.,but if anyone has easy recipes for me to feed my danes i would love it instead of just feeding dry.

We have boarded many danes who have lived up to 14 yrs & been feed dry only or dry combo diets.

There is more than just diet that enhances d dogs life.

There are plenty of alternatives you can do to just dry only.Didnt your breeder give you a diet sheet??

I've seen it... I don't buy into those money making schemes very much :)

There are people here on DOL who can give you much better info for free!

Absolutely :) That site looks like a lot of scaremongering to me.

greatdanes - if you feed your Dane pup a diet like that which you posted in the BARF thread recently, that much raw meat with no bone will cause a growing pup (esp. such a large one) a lot of grief due to the high phosphorus/low calcium levels. You can't just randomly add a calcium supplement either because too much is as bad as too little. There is nothing wrong with feeding a premium quality dry food (e.g. Eagle Pack large breed - there are others too) if you can't be bothered fully researching a complete BARF diet - it's more than just making up a recipe...you have to understand what and why you are doing it. There's a wealth of information on DOL and some very knowledgeable people ;)

We have boarded many danes who have lived up to 14 yrs & been feed dry only or dry combo diets.

There is more than just diet that enhances d dogs life.

There are plenty of alternatives you can do to just dry only.Didnt your breeder give you a diet sheet??

no my breeder only told me acouple of good dry foods and thats all, ive had to find out everything my self thats why im trying to ask as much as i can :)

Genetics also have a huge influence on longevity, although eating properly may help a dog to live a longer and healthier life I can't see danes suddenly increasing their lifespan to 17 years just because you follow the recommendations on that very dubious site. Great Danes are a giant breed and you have to be very careful how you feed them as puppies, if I were you I'd be asking some of the breeders on DOL what you should feed. You'll get much better info from them than from that quack who's just trying to make money out of gullible dog owners.

Really, the best thing for a dane pup is the commercial dry food that has been specifically formulated for growing giant puppies. A diet too low in calcium can have disastrous effects, as can a diet too high in calcium. There is much more to it, too.

A great site for the great dane owner can be found HERE

Hang around in the dane thread, greatdanes. Sas knows her stuff when it comes to barf - she'll have some advice for you.