Complementary Medicine

scottie

This is actually about a cat ( I've posted in Cat Chat but thought that many people with good advise to offer wouldn't visit that forum). Briefly I am fostering an approx 4/5 month old rescue kitten who has had a shocking start in life & who is now,despite excellent medical care/nutrition /masses of TLC,still tending to relapse with cat flu (which he first had at about 5 weeks old). Traditional medicine,whilst treating the symptoms with antibiotics, doesn't seem to prevent the relapses & I am anxious to try & get him right before rehoming.

I have been thinking about seeing the naturopathic vet here in Sydney (nearest one I know of is a bit of a drive away from me in Drummoyne - though I'm happy to go there if it's likely to help him) but knowing nothing about this type of treatment am just a little anxious that I will be charged large amounts for something which is essentially useless.

Has anyone had experience of this type of treatment - specifically relating to upper respiratory issues &/or cats ?

Has it been diagnosed as an upper repiratory problem?

If it hasn't then maybe it's Congestive Heart Failure ie fluid on the lungs etc.

Just a thought seeing that she keeps relapsing.

Have a foster dog here that had an upper respiratory infection. A course of anibitotics (vibravet) and a injection of Dexone fixed her.

Yes - I am pretty certain that the vet's diagnosis is right in this case.He's a very typical cat flu sufferer (not uncommon for them to relapse when they've had it so badly & at such a young age). We've always managed to stop the secondary infections before they reach his lungs but he is a sporadically 'snuffly' cat whom I would dearly love to get as right as possible before rehoming.His chances of being rehomed are obviously much better if he is fully fit (plus I don't think it's fair to pass on a problem to someone else).He & his sister will make spectacularly good pets if I can stop his snuffling - I really want to give such a young animal the best possible chance - he could give many years of wonderful companionship to someone if we can just get him 100% fit.

Dogbesotted - Thanks for confirming that these particular vets are OK - I remember reading a number of posts in the past by someone who was very happy with their dog's complementary medicine treatment - couldn't remember who it was but I think they were probably your posts - so it's good to know that I'm not heading to someone who'll sell me 'snake oil' !

This is actually about a cat ( I've posted in Cat Chat but thought that many people with good advise to offer wouldn't visit that forum). Briefly I am fostering an approx 4/5 month old rescue kitten who has had a shocking start in life & who is now,despite excellent medical care/nutrition /masses of TLC,still tending to relapse with cat flu (which he first had at about 5 weeks old). Traditional medicine,whilst treating the symptoms with antibiotics, doesn't seem to prevent the relapses & I am anxious to try & get him right before rehoming.

I have been thinking about seeing the naturopathic vet here in Sydney (nearest one I know of is a bit of a drive away from me in Drummoyne - though I'm happy to go there if it's likely to help him) but knowing nothing about this type of treatment am just a little anxious that I will be charged large amounts for something which is essentially useless.

Has anyone had experience of this type of treatment - specifically relating to upper respiratory issues &/or cats ?

If you are in the south west of Sydney I can recommend Alternative Therapies in Austral. Lyn is qualified as a Doctor of TCM & treats both people and animals with Traditional Chinese Medicine with some startling results. Many of her clients like myself start off having their animals treated and being so impressed with the results end up getting her to treat them for various ailments.