Titer Test Question

Guest Tess32

My pup had a C3 (Nobivac) shot at 13 weeks. How long after this can I do a titer test to make

sure the vacc took? (vet is taking ages to find out :thumbsup: )

How weird is this? Vet rang - the titer people want to do it this weekend (will be one week after vacc) and THEY are going to pay for it!

How weird is this? Vet rang - the titer people want to do it this weekend (will be one week after vacc) and THEY are going to pay for it!

I think with so much talk going around about over vaccination and the vets responsibilites sounds like the company are doing some research of their own. Lucky you, will be interested in the results as I'm sure many others will.

Don't want to hijack your thread but my question doesn't seem worth it's own - could someone explain the pronunciation of this titre test? I am going to ask my vet when next I go and don't want to sound like a complete idiot. So is it pronounced:

tighter test, teeter test or tit er test - if you get where I'm coming from? :thumbsup:

I've been saying it TIGHTER for some reason :thumbsup:

I have a small question ;)

Kyzer is nearly 1 year old and is due for his next vac in May, am I supposed to do Titre testing then or after that? Will his puppy vacs cover him enough to show up on the Titres?

I've been saying it TIGHTER for some reason :D

I have a small question :rofl:

Kyzer is nearly 1 year old and is due for his next vac in May, am I supposed to do Titre testing then or after that? Will his puppy vacs cover him enough to show up on the Titres?

Glad it wasn't just me amypie :vomit:

My understanding is that pups still need their first annual vacc (so usually at 1yr after the last puppy shot he had), after that you can choose when you titre test - some people are saying vaccinations last for 3 years, 5 years, perhaps even for life. So you need to make a decision when you believe the dogs immunity may have become to low to provide adequate cover (this is the tricky bit) and have the dog tested to see.

Vets would like to still see your dog every 12 months for an annual health check (could be $$ motivated or not depends how cynical you are) and you could have the titre test then instead of the vaccination. Some vets are now vaccinating and saying this lasts 3 years, some vets are saying this is a new vaccine, some sites I have seen say it is the same old one we have always had. You need to go back for kennel cough annually (if you think your dog needs kennel cough).

So as you can see it still seems a little up in the air about exactly what is the new protocol. I haven't been able to find a site yet that adequately has answered all my questions. I think I am going to ask my vet to titre test this year as the dog is 9 years old and has been vaccinated each year for life with C5 - my only concern with this is the hypocrisy of being a kennel owner and possibly having to insist my clients have vacc certificates as opposed to titre tests!!

Sorry long post - will stop now I have :shrug: you completely. Hopefully someone else who has been looking into this longer than me will come along. ;)

Amy

Just so you know.....Blaize was last vaccinated with a C3 at 12 months of age - she turned 7 last November and her parvo and distemper titres are still >80. She was vaccinated at 8, 16 weeks and then at 12 months.

Beans turned 2 last October - she has only been vaccinated twice with a C3 at 8 and 16 weeks. Her parvo titre was >80 her distemper titre is =5 which is in the revaccinating range. You know Bean's history - so I am not sure she is a good example. However it was suggested that her low distemper titre could possibly be due to the fact that she has not been exposed to distemper and if she was it may in fact be higher. You cannot get a single distemper vaccination.

Lexi was vaccinated with a C3 at 8 and 16 weeks and will be titred in May when she turns 2. River was vaccinated at 8 weeks only and will also be titred at 2 - so it will be interesting to compare these sibblings.

Just for the record I paid $88 for parvo and distemper titres.

Do you guys worry about the Hep part of the vaccination? It can't be titred ( no test in Australia for it) ...So even if the Parvo & Distemper levels are high, do you then just take a chance with the Hep? I don't think there is a single vaccination for Hep, same as Distemper.

* just wondering as I only found this info out yesterday via my vet, and that info was straight from Pathology at the Brisbane Uni*

Anyone know how prevelent Hepatitus actually is???

There has not been a case of canine hepatitis in WA - and you are correct you cannot get a single hepatitis vaccination anyway - so even if the hepatitis titre came back low - I wouldn't been doing a C3 if the parvo and distemper titres were high.

Amy - I would do a titre at 18 months. I know my breed and I am now up to dog number 5 and they are all following a similar path - but your breed might be different. Depending on the results you might be up for vaccinations on top of the titre but really it is a small price to pay.

We were having a discussion about this this afternoon and I figured Ness would be well and truely covered after 7 years of vaccinations. My friends dog is only just over 2 and is due for another one and just to be safe since the dog in question isn't known to have problems I said maybe go one more and then opt to titre. Given the incidence of parvo in particular I would have thought if the dog was likely to have had a problem and unacceptable level titre level the dog would have contracted it.

The only problem in all this is what are the obedience clubs going to accept. I mean common sense would say that after 7 years of vaccinations a dog should well and truely be covered and I wouldn't even bother a titre test.

Difficult situation. I started off giving yearly and then pushed it out and out to about 18 months, the maximum I can get away with and train at a club don't know what I do next year though as she will be due again around August :bottom: .

Edited by ness