Ivan Balabanov

Just finished watching this guys two current DVD's, and WOW. I have finally found the training method I am going to use. Downside is, the guy is not Australian, makes it kind of hard to get hands on info, problem solving, further training techniques etc.

Have emailed him directly, but wondered if anyone knows someone that teaches, or follows his method of teaching in Australia?

I have not touched my 8 month old dobe bitch AT ALL! LOL For several reasons, moving a couple of times, and not wanting to muck her up, or start something I wasn't going to finish, so hope that she is a clean slate ready for me to start training, now I have found a method I am 100% happy with :thumbsup:

I use bits of it, and lots of Dildey.

A friend of mine uses Balabanovs methods and he has got two awesone trained dogs, dobe and a GSD. They are just pleasure to watch in anything they do.

did you watch Dildey yet?

Have started watching Dildey's, but some of what he does doesn't make sense to me,and contradicts what I think I know about some basic stuff! LOL (If that makes sense) But when I watched Balabanov, it was just like, "YES, this is IT!"

I haven't heard of either of them. What methods do they use? I like Ian Dunbar's methods & watch the videos on his website. Great stuff.

In very basic form Balabanov trains using drive, very similar to K9 Force, but he uses no correction whatsoever,there is no stress on the dog, and he teaches the dog words to know when it is doing the right thing and the wrong thing (I.e key word 'yes' or Good' when the dog is on the right track, release word when dog has performed correctly such as 'ok', and he uses 'no' to tell the dog when it's not on the right track) Dog is rewarded with a game as in most usual drive training (With The Game having very set and clear rules too), but behaviour is modified by ignoring incorrect behaviour, or telling dog No, and starting entire excercise over again. That's the pretty basic explanation, it's a bit more complicated than that, but it's very clever, and the end reuslt is a dog that can think for itself, is smooth and animated in it's work and distraction proofed. I was very impressed and keen to start!! Actually Myszka, could see where the TOT would work very quickly to get the dog to understand release words and watching, as opossed to Ivan's methods, will end up using both I think!

RB - give me some contradictions you came about in Balabanov v's Dildey.

I mean one teaches a lot of stuff with food, but its all in drive. Just different terminology.

Have you watched any Leerburg drive stuff?

And mate - geezz it took you long time to get around to watch Balabanov :rofl:

Now we can exchange notes.......... again :rofl:

Edited by myszka

RB - give me some contradictions you came about in Balabanov v's Dildey.

I mean one teaches a lot of stuff with food, but its all in drive. Just different terminology.

Have you watched any Leerburg drive stuff?

And mate - geezz it took you long time to get around to watch Balabanov :thumbsup:

Now we can exchange notes.......... again :(

I have only watched the tracking one so far, but don't like the way he teaches tracking in sand, and then says the dog does not follow vissual signals?? What could possibly be more visual for the dog than great big footprints in sand?! LOL

Yeah did take me awhile, been busy with work and human kids! :rofl: But think little miss is old enough now to begin her training.

Where's your club Jeff? Probably not in Vic :banghead: I would assume the jumping around is distraction. I have been taught to jump around my dog when doing stays, I star jump around him, crouch down, run backwards and forwards, Lie flat on the ground in front of him. (He thinks I'm a moron, but he won't move for anything now )This is all part of training for distractions?

No we're up in Brissy. The idea of the jumping around and acting like an idiot is basically for the distraction, as well as helping the training in drive. The more you jump around the more excited your dog is. But if you can get your dog to be obedient while in drive, and continue to perform the task while you're jumping in front of you, the better your dog will be able to handle any distraction situation. Especially on trial day.

why jump around in training if in a trial you most likely wont be acting like that?

Dogs read body language really well, I am guessing that jumping around is getting less and less during training.

Balabanov has some pretty good titles in Sch to his name, he must be doing something right..

He is getting the dog to stay completely focused on you no matter what is happening, you notice that more during his heel work, where he changes pace and direction suddenly and the dog is immediately slowing, or quickening. Once the dog is past the level where he's jumping around it, then he trains it near other dogs. I would assume that once the dog is used to having people act like idiots around it, and completely ignoring other dogs, it's ready to cope with anything you could throw at it on a trial day :-)

• 2 weeks later...