3 In 1

cooperblue

hi everyone

iam currently using advocate on my 6 month old pup, i was wanting to know if there is any other brands out there that do the 3 in 1 in a chewable instead of the liquid drops.

i find it very messy and it smells bad. has anyone had the same issue and switched to something else?

thanks sarah

Heartgard plus is a monthly chew that does heartworm, roundworm and hookworm. It doesn't do tapeworm so you will need to worm for this separately and neither does it cover fleas so you will still need to use a flea preventative.

You could also switch to Sentinel Spectrum which is a monthly beef flavoured tablet - not a chew. It does heartworm, all gut worms and has a component which sterilises the female flea to prevent them from laying eggs.

I have used spot on products for years and while they do have a smell, I have never found them overpowering. Nor do I find application messy - its quite straight forward and applied correctly shouldn't create a mess at all. How is it causing a mess for you?? Just curious tis all.

Edited by Georgie-boy

You are supposed to part the hair and apply it to the dogs skin. Do not just apply it ontop of the dogs fur. It needs to be absobed through the skin to work.

I just don't touch my pugs on the neck for a while after I have applied the Revolution. You will find that the hair in the area of application will dry like it has hair gel or hairspray in it.

Edited by puggy_puggy

I've been using the Advocate for a couple of years now & i've never had a problem with it, i don't find it messy or smelly, i think its great because it does every thing ( except for tape worm ) in one monthly treatment. I actually just gave it to my 2 dogs tonight about 3 hours ago, before they went to bed & their hair is completely dry. :offtopic:

I swtiched from Revolution to Sentinal spectrum because I had the same problem, the revolution left a large wet patch even when applied correctly. It didn't bother me so much until one day after treating my dogs when I noticed it had disolved the paint from the wall that my dog had been sleeping up against :offtopic:

I changed from Advocate to Sentinal Spectrum cause I was finding the Advocate not as effective as I would have liked. I also feel a lot better about everything being absorbed from the inside out then you know that the dog is getting the full dose and none has the potential to be rubbed off so to speak.

Am very happy with the Sentinal Spectrum and have not had one flea, scratch or worm issue with it at all where I was still actually getting the odd flea with advocate, mind you this was mainly when I had the Belgians. I also found with the Belgians that my dogs skin use to go really flakey and dry after the advocate would dry which isnt the best look on a pure black dog.

Edited by Okeekarma

i am using advocate and having the same issue as cooperblue.. am i doing it wrong

i have a maltese puppy so her fur is very loose. First i part her hair then i squirt the tube onto the skin. The line is about 2-4cm. The stuff is really watery so it kinda disperses onto skin and fur. leaving a big round wet patch. She then shakes after i apply it making even more of a mess.

it then takes around 4hrs to dry. and smells!! so i avoid touching her when she is in drying mood.

i am using advocate and having the same issue as cooperblue.. am i doing it wrong

i have a maltese puppy so her fur is very loose. First i part her hair then i squirt the tube onto the skin. The line is about 2-4cm. The stuff is really watery so it kinda disperses onto skin and fur. leaving a big round wet patch. She then shakes after i apply it making even more of a mess.

it then takes around 4hrs to dry. and smells!! so i avoid touching her when she is in drying mood.

Maybe you guys should change brands and see how another brand goes?

I have the same problem and cooperblue and marble... my dog has super absorbent, thick poodle fur and no matter how tight I separate the hair, Revolution still oozes from the skin and onto the fur. I took my dog to the vet with the revolution and showed the vet how I was doing it and he suggested doing it over two or three spots. As in, like when you first put the revolution on it goes into the skin then as it starts running out of skin and oozing all over the fur - do it on a new spot.

Just out of curiosity, when using revolution, do you guys use a tick collar as well or tick tablets?

emma dee.. i use advocate which i believe is very simliar to revolution..

i do not use any tick collar. I only use drontal which covers tape worm.

I am pretty sure advocate covers ticks.. but i am sure other DOL members can confirm that :laugh:

At the top of this forum is a topic titled General Health Information and I copied this from the first post, it's an excellent comparison chart -

This is a run down of what each one (spot on treatments) covers:

DOGS

Frontline Plus - fleas and ticks

Advantix - fleas, ticks and mosquitos

Advocate- fleas, heartworm, hookworm, roundworm and whipworm, lice and ear mites

Revolution - fleas, heartworm, ear mites, hookworm, sarcoptic mange

Advantage - fleas

CATS

Advocate - heartworm, fleas, ear mites, hookworm, roundworm, whipworm, lice.

Revolution - heartworm, fleas, ear mites, hookworm, roundworm.

Frontline Plus - fleas, lice.

Advantage - fleas, lice.

I use Interceptor Spectrum, because Border Collies cant have ivermectin products. I find this great. It is the same as Sentinal Spectrum except it doesnt cover fleas. Interceptor is half the price and my dogs rarely get fleas. If they do, I buy some Frontline, but I have only had to do that once.

Interceptor is a beef tablet and the dogs dont even chew it, they swallow it whole.