How Much Are Ct Scans

pare

hi,

my 4yo ridgeback x was taken to the vet about a week ago because she had neck pains (she was yelping when she moved it).

the vet gave her tablets for about 5 days that seemed to work, but the pain came back when the tablets ran out, now she is on a two week program of the pills.

the vet said to wait and see what happens, but if the pain comes back after the two weeks then she will need a ct scan as they can't determine what's causing the pain.

just wondering how much ct scans cost? the vet quoted $1600, and depending on the prognosis, i may have to spend about $5000. is that pricey? can you recommend vets who charge more reasonable prices?

i'm not sure what caused the pains. two possibilities are:

1. she gets super excited when she sees other dogs on her walks and her running all over the place may have placed strain on her neck over the years.

2. she had a dermoid sinus removed when she was 1yo. could this be somehow linked to the neck pain? the sinus itself doesn't seem to have come back.

thanks in advance for any advice.

Was this a regular vet? If so, I would try a canine chiropractor before going the CT scan route.

yes this was a regular vet.

hm, never heard of a canine chiropractor before. can you recommend one in the eastern suburbs of melbourne?

Manman had a tumor on his front right leg last year and we were refered to Southern Animal Referral Centre at Highett. It costed $500 for CT and radio therapy cost is approx. $5000.

I'm not sure if they charge by per scan or area, I suggest that you call and check. SARC however is not regular vet and needs referral, but sure you can give them a call first. They're very helpful.

http://www.sarc.com.au/