Advice Needed Please

it seems you are doing everything you can and you are patient with your dog. maybe a behaviouralist would look at the situation with fresh eyes and be able to come up with suggestions. sometimes we are too close to a situation and we can't see the trees for the forest.

i sympathize with you...i also feel better when my dog is happy.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it seems you are doing everything you can and you are patient with your dog. maybe a behaviouralist would look at the situation with fresh eyes and be able to come up with suggestions. sometimes we are too close to a situation and we can't see the trees for the forest.

i sympathize with you...i also feel better when my dog is happy.

Thank you :sleep:

I try very hard to be patient with my dog :rolleyes:.... but I completely agree with all that you are saying, and come tomorrow, I am going to get in contact with someone to try to help me out with the issues that I cant reslove by myself.

You are right in saying that sometimes we are too close. I feel that is my problem to an extent - I just need some fresh eyes and maybe an outsiders veiw to help me to help my dog. He deserves the best, and I will try to do that for him :( He has helped me through a lot, I owe it to him to return the favour. :(

Just wanted to say you've done a great job with Bosco, Em. Don't be too hard on yourself :rofl:

He may even just be going through a "teenage" phase ... I've never had a dog that young, so I wouldn't know. But I know Jack used to test us regularly in the months when he came home from the pound at age 4.

He has had a pretty full-on 12mths or so - now that things are settling - he might be reacting. What to they call it - delayed reactions?? And you going away freaked him out alittle and set him back?

Does Rescue Remedy work on him? It might be an idea to add it to his water so he has a constant supply and help keep him calm til you get a chance to see a trainer.

And start re-training the toilet training agin. A good one is to yell at the mess not at the dog! I was taught that one at training! It works. And use only sugar soap to clean it up so that you don't leave behind any amonia smell to make him want to go in the same spot again.

It helps if you try not to make a big deal about the siutation too - if you are calm - he will calm down as well. If he thinks you are upset then he thinks he has a reason to be worried.

Edited by Ci

Thanks Moops :p I have to say with everything considered, he is a pretty good boy. When I lost Loki, I realised how quickly you can lose a pet, and I dont want to miss out on that with Bos...

Ci, I bought some rescue remedy yesterday. I will put some in his inside water bowl tonight when I get home and see how he goes with that. He didnt make a mess last night though :rofl: And your right, he has had a pretty rough 12 months, and it has only now occured to me after you saying that, that the last time I had to go away for work, he saw Loki die, and then I go and leave him by himself. doG I feel like a git now. :love:

I will try the sugar soap too. I still have the bicarb soda on the carpet at the moment, so I will clean that up this arvo and see what difference it has made before I douse the floor with anything else :)

doG I feel like a git now. :love:
Don't be too hard on yourself :p

:p

:rofl: I know, I know! I'll try to be a little more relaxed.

i also use a product called "piss off". it is for cat urine but works on any urine. it neutralises the smell. i got it from a pet shop.

Hhmmm - My house is going to be the next 'supermarket' of products to remove odours :)

Ci, I bought some rescue remedy yesterday. I will put some in his inside water bowl tonight when I get home and see how he goes with that. He didnt make a mess last night though :rofl: And your right, he has had a pretty rough 12 months, and it has only now occured to me after you saying that, that the last time I had to go away for work, he saw Loki die, and then I go and leave him by himself. doG I feel like a git now. :p

I will try the sugar soap too. I still have the bicarb soda on the carpet at the moment, so I will clean that up this arvo and see what difference it has made before I douse the floor with anything else :)

Don't beat yourself up - I didn't mean for you to take it that way :love: - it is just that it must be taken into account because it would be why his behave has changed and also to allow him time to settle again.

He has to get use to you leaving and it being OK again - it is not good for him to be in the state he is in now. Try doing things like just one night away every so often and build his confidence up slowly so that he gets to understand that it doesn't mean something bad is going to happen.

I would keep adding the RR to his water if it works that way - or else just make sure that you give him a dose daily for alittle while. It is brillant for taking the edge off but it doesn't work on all dogs - but it sounds like it might work on him!

Whatever you use to clean up the mess - just don't use anything anomia based on either whiz or poop because it actaully makes the area smell even more appealing to poop on! So he will keep going back.

doG I feel like a git now. :)
Don't be too hard on yourself :love:

:p

:rofl: I know, I know! I'll try to be a little more relaxed.

Yes!!! Relaxed owner - relaxed dog. Try not to even think stressfully about the situation - it is quite amazing what they pick up on even though they don't understand.

Just accept that this is how it is at the moment and you know what you have to do to change it and just do it - don't over think! :p

Another thought, Lokelani.

Do you give him anything to do if you duck out during the day? I don't necessarily mean in his run, because he sounds happy there, but in another environment like if he's left in the lounge room while you go and get a bottle of milk or whatever.

I know Jack will bark as we leave in the morning unless we give him his breakfast bones at the same time. Likewise, if we go out for dinner we'll leave him in the house. If I leave him with just a few pieces of chunky liver in his Buster Fun Bone, he's silent as we go out the door. Otherwise he'll whine.

So maybe think about some short trials where you give Bosco something to do while you step out and walk around the block. If I ever have any spare time, I'm happy to come around and play games with him etc, praising like mad for quiet behaviour while you go out for an increasingly long duration.

Thanks Ci - I think I am going to have to start 'experimenting' with him and leaving him alone so that he can get used to it, and using the RR to see if that at least starts to help him relax.

Moops, if I ever have to go anywhere for a quick moment, he either comes with me in the car, or I lock him up in his run. I honestly dont trust him not to try to dig his way out of the house if I leave him in there. Last year it took him all of half a day to eat through the laundry door, and get into the lounge room where he continued to dig up the carpet at the front door :rofl: After that he came into work with me until the run was finished.

I think your suggestion of having someone there while I go out is a really good one. I might recruit family members to help out as well where they can. The only thing I have seen him eat in his run are bones, he wont leave them, but anything else he wont touch. I think it may be the same inside, and I am certainly not letting him have run of the house with a bone eewww! :D

The other thing is, most days I have to put a lead on him to get him into the run. He used to go in of his own accord, but now he has associated it with me leaving, and he will sometimes put up a fight. I might have to play games with him in there too, so that he doesnt think that every time he goes in, I am going to leave....

All this advice has been really helpful, thanks everyone :rofl:

I think you are on to something with the different activites and getting him use to different things, playing in his run or putting him in there even if you are not going anywhere, etc etc

The trick is to not have any solid clues that you are actually going so he doesn't know if he should work himself up into a sweat and so he is comfortable with whatever you are doing.

Good Luck with him.

Thanks Ci - the only thing I am concerned about with the solid clues that you mention when I am about to leave, is in the mornings when I have to go to work.... Pretty much as soon as I get out of the shower and dress, take him out for a toilet run, then come in, he runs for the bedroom. He knows straight away that I am leaving....

He's actually quite funny, because other than work days, if I put shoes on, he gets all excited because he thinks he is coming with me. And he knows the different collars/leads. If I put a flat collar and lead on him, he knows he is going for a car ride. If I put his harness on, he knows he is going for a walk, and if I put his training collar/lead on, then he knows he is going to training.

As much as he is the biggest, clumsiest doofus on the planet, he is one smart cookie :rofl:

ETA - He has also learnt that different shoes mean different things. If I put on my "work" shoes, he runs, if I put on sneakers or thongs, he gets excited! :D

Edited by lokelani

Dogs look for patterns and once they find them, it clues them into whats going on. They ain't dumb either - they know :thumbsup:

Maybe every so often shower at night instead of the morning, or get up an hour earlier so that you are hanging around the house alittle longer.

Some clues you ain't going to be able to avoid but if you mix it up til he gets more confident then he can't quite see the patterns and can't prepare himself for anything.

Even doing things like getting dressed at night and picking up your bag and leave for 5 mins and come back helps! Sounds crazy but it does help.

Edited by Ci

Looks like I have my work cut out for me with this one :thumbsup:

I started him on the RR last night, so I will keep an eye on him over the next few days and see if it is making any sort of difference. Nothing seems to be getting rid of the smell in the house, so I am going to get in a professional cleaner and get the carpet right.... He's not going to stop toileting in the house until that is fixed. I just hope it doesnt continue after the smell is all gone!

Im thinking of also taking him in for a check up, just incase something is not right somewhere. He is not really acting any different, nor does he appear to be ill, but I think its worth a checkup just incase.

*sigh* Bloody dogs! :laugh:

Well, we have just come back from the vets, and there does not appear to be any underlying medical problems. I even took in a urine sample for the vets, nice and fresh :rofl:

His mental condition on the other hand.... After explaining a few things, the vet seems to think that it could very well be his anxiety that is causing the recent upsets. He has put Bos on a course of Amitriptyline for two weeks, and I need to go back in then for a check up (apparently these can have side effects, including heart issues :D ) so they are going to check his heart, and also to see if it is making any difference. If they are not helping too much, or even so, this particular vets has a behaviourist in house :thumbsup: so I can make an appointment with her.

I am getting the carpets cleaned on Monday, so hopefully that will help in eradicating the smell a bit and possibly stopping some of the behaviour (I am not going to expect too much before then), but having said that, when we got home this evening, he proceeded to do a nice big turd! This time I was there to catch him and I 'argght' and put him out :)

So, fingers crossed we get somewhere soon.

Bosco is going to have almost as much medication in the cabinet as me at this rate ;)

Good to hear he has a clean bill of health! Hopefully the meds help and he improves over the next two weeks.

I am sure I don't need to say it - but don't forget to keep doing things to build up his confidence as well as the meds!!!