How Old Is Too Old

Afternoon all

Just wondering if I could get your opinion on a little matter

I have a 3 year old Border Collie, who, without bragging, loves to please and learn new things ( although he has his dumb moments) is this too old to start obedience/agility. He knows basic obedience - sit, stay, drop, come, stay and finish

Would love to hear your opinion

Many Thanks

xx

Too old? Definitely not!!!!! I didn't start training my last dog (a very hyperactive ACD) until she was 2 years old....we fumbled along in our training and still managed to get a CDX obedience title and 2 legs of her agility title. We would have been much better if I had been a better trainer :rofl: She absolutely loved it though, despite my incompetence :eek:

As long as your boy is fit and healthy (esp. for agility) I think you should go for it! :thumbsup:

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Many Thanks for that, yes, I think he will have to have a lot of patience with me also, but I cant wait to start. He always needs to be busy so hopefully I can hold his attention long enough

Wish me luck :cool:

Too old? Definitely not!!!!! I didn't start training my last dog (a very hyperactive ACD) until she was 2 years old....we fumbled along in our training and still managed to get a CDX obedience title and 2 legs of her agility title. We would have been much better if I had been a better trainer :rofl: She absolutely loved it though, despite my incompetence :eek:

As long as your boy is fit and healthy (esp. for agility) I think you should go for it! :thumbsup:

God I hope not!!!

I started with a rescue dog I have as a 4 year old after a year doing basic obedience and getting to know each other. He's 5 now and I am hoping to learn more this year.

I don't know about dogs but when I had horses we would always wait until they had matured a little before doing anything much. So what is the norm in starting dogs? I thought 3 would be a good age?

Good Luck DogzRule, sounds like your dog would be well suited to agility. Have fun!

I think at the age of 3, he will probably learn a lot faster than if he was a puppy because his concentration span will be longer and his ability to think things through will be a lot better. And he will absolutely love it!

My 11mo Aussie has just started agility with my 14yo daughter...she takes him for an hour and a half, then I take him for obedience for an hour. For the rest of the day, he's knackered! LOL! All that thinking, running around and behaving himself just wears him out.

My oldest dog was 7 before I began agility training.

Started trialling at 8 and finished his novice titles before 'retiring' him to NADAC veterans where he could jump lower heights.

Given that most dogs don't peak until around 5 or 6, then 3 is perfect to start.

Afternoon all

Just wondering if I could get your opinion on a little matter

I have a 3 year old Border Collie, who, without bragging, loves to please and learn new things ( although he has his dumb moments) is this too old to start obedience/agility. He knows basic obedience - sit, stay, drop, come, stay and finish

Would love to hear your opinion

Many Thanks

xx

I started herding with my old boy when he was 8.5 years old you get what you put into a dog I don't think they are ever too old

Tracey

My Zach was 4 when we finally got to start Obedience training at a club :thumbsup: I found I had a much easier time than the people who had younger dogs too. Last year, when Zach turned 6, we got to start Agility and Weight pulling - he's really taken to the agility especially! This year I hope to do well with him even though we can't use the weave poles due to Zach having bad knees. I'm hoping to enter NADAC competitions if I can ever figure out how.