Eeekkk! 1st Trial In 2 Weeks - 8th March

8th March marks my first step back into the obedience ring for a couple of years. This is also the first time in 7 years Ive competed with a young dog !! And already the nerves are setting in :rofl: Last night I had a dream about all the things that could go wrong LOL as you do... OH well, I guess I have another 2 weeks to get it out of my system :love: At least they have made the step into obedience trialling a little less overwhelming with the CCD...

My Black Kelpie boy Shamus is coming along really nicely, a keen worker who is already trying to second guess what I want, and that is only after about 6 weeks of training... 6 weeks ago he knew nothing but being a show dog (now 14 months old), he didnt even know what sit meant, let alone anything else. He is learning so quickly, which is making it heaps of fun to get back into obedience again.

His litter sister Storm will also be making her debut into the obedience ring at the same trial :D Im so proud of her and her owner. And totally wrap to have 2 kids from the same litter to be competing together....

So if you are at Caboolture trial on 8th March look out for Suthenskys Shamelesstar (Shamus) and Suthenskys Superstar (Storm) :) I will be the one that looks like she is about to pass out :rofl:

So if you are at Caboolture trial on 8th March look out for Suthenskys Shamelesstar (Shamus) and Suthenskys Superstar (Storm) :) I will be the one that looks like she is about to pass out :rofl:

I won't be there, but good luck, Kelpiesrule.

Are you allowed to take smelling salts into the ring with you? :rofl:

When I used to do competition eventing with my horse, I found that if I was relaxed before the comp my nerves were more inclined to reveal themselves on the day. So perhaps it is a good thing you are nervous now. When you're in the ring, do what you can to psych yourself into pretending that it's only practice. :love:

I've seen some real shockers around the trial circuit. Lots of people see a trial like some small window of oportunity that is about to close on them.

The only thing you can do is give your dog every chance with good handling and training, and the rest is up to your dog. If you can accept that, then you will have a much better chance of acheiving it.

The key is to get a very high level of confidence in your dog before you enter, and refrain from entering till you do. Sometimes it may be just that extra week before you both "click", but you will know when it is time.

Good luck Kelpiesrule!!

Good luck! Nerve racking isn't it? Oh but CCD is so welcome, much easier on the nerves when you've been away for a while. :) I went back to trialing after 16 years out of it last year. I'd forgotten how much fun it was! My advice is forget all about qualifying scores and enjoy yourself. The scores will come but it may take a few trials for you to settle and get back into the way of things. What matters is that you and your dog enjoy yourselves. Good luck and have fun.

Well - my 12 month old Golden Retriever passed CCD on Saturday night. He got 94 points and came third. I nearly passed out from shock. I wasn't nervous until we got to the stays cos I thought there was no way he would have got that far but we did and I stood there with my heart thumping watching him wriggle around. When he actually stayed and passed I couldn't believe it.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is good luck and if we can do it, you can too.

Well done Mollipop !! Arent the groups just terrifying !!

Im not pushing my boy for passes, mostly entering to see where we are at. Any mistakes he makes lately are 95% my fault !! Still getting my timing right with him, but he is such a joy to work with.

Thanks to you all for your encouragement ! I know that once the judge says the first word "forward", I will be ok, I usually just forget everything, listen to the judge and trust my dog. It is the before part that is so nerve racking !!! :)

Don't worrie Kelpiesrule. you won't do as bad as I did last saturday! Mili had the "luck" that at the moment we went in the ring the wind picked up bringing the smells in of bacon being BBQ-ed (for my kids :cheer: ). She was entered in CD and doing well at training but in a trail..... we had 15 points for heeling and 60 for the stays, other than that 0's