Keeping Water Down?

I have had Atlas sick since Saturday

He hasnt been himself, and Monday night he was up sick ALL night, last night he was up a few times, and has been sick again today.

Went to the vets today, said there is a bad bug going around, if i cant get him to keep water down, he will end up on an IV.

He has lost weight, but is still hungry, but spews it all up again after eating.

any ideas??

Not interested in them :eek: He has never liked them, i tried shoving one in his mouth, and he spat it out.

I have to work tomorrow and can not take him (kennel), but if he is sick again, i might see if i can crate him in the boss;s house for the day, dont want him alone :laugh:

Nope. (i know, he is strange)

I have tired it and nothing, no interest at all :eek:

I can get him to drink the water, but its keeping it down thats the problem.

Unless i hang him up so he cant throw it up?? :rofl:

This is sooo frustrating, i cant afford to iv him, I will if it comes to it, but i really just wish he would get better, hate seeing him sick :laugh:

He has lost weight, but is still hungry, but spews it all up again after eating.

any ideas??

Are you feeding him? No food! Water SMALL amounts at regular intervals, we often start at 2 tablespoons every half hour. Pedialyte or Lectade help rehydration.

He hasnt eaten in 2 days. Vet said to start him on something light. Rice and chicken.

He is on Anti bios, but vet also said they may not do any good :eek:

Just talked to mum, will see how he is in the morning, she will come and get him and crate him at her house for the day.

Reg the water, he isnt drinking much, just a little at a time, like sticking his nose in and out (ever seen a Bull Terrier drink? they all do the same thing :laugh: )

He also does not have a temp.

I am going to have to go to bed soon, 2 nights i have been up with him, he is outside being sick now, so hoping he gives me a bit of time before needing to be sick again (yeah, would love to kick him out for the night, but i need to know how bad he is)

Sorry if i sound grumpy or snappy, just so bloody tired of this

Thanks everyone

Ohhh, I know how you feel, so bad... Honestly I would say if possible bite the bullet and get him onto IVF. Fluids really help to pick up sick dogs and so often the sooner started the quicker and easier the recovery.

Ohhh, I know how you feel, so bad... Honestly I would say if possible bite the bullet and get him onto IVF. Fluids really help to pick up sick dogs and so often the sooner started the quicker and easier the recovery.

Yes, I agree there. Been there, done it, it is worth it!

But otherwise can you get something from your vet for the nausea? Some kind of antiemetic.

You can always put a little honey in his water to help give him a little energy.

And if it were me, I would be using colloidal silver in his water - assuming it's just a bug and nothing more serious.

Hope you get some sleep soon. :o

Must be a bug going around.

Maybe some of that Rehydration stuff would be good for him or maybe some yoghurt to restart his tummy.

I had 5 of the 6 pugs I had here throwing up on Sunday & Monday. The first one started in the early hours of Sunday morning (pretty sure she was the source) then it was a progression with the next one at about 5am, then the next one at 7am, 9am and the last 10am. The first one one was the worst and threw up about 5 times whilst the others either only had one or two spews each.

I didn't give them any food during the day and they got baked chicken breast and steamed carrots for dinner and were fine.

Interestingly the one that didn't get the bug has an elizabethan plastic collar on because of recent eye surgery. Seems like it somehow sheilded him from the germs.

The vet said they are getting it from the ground, one dog is sick, another sniffs it, and is sick - A collar would stop the dog being able to do that?

I got somepoweraid into him before bed,and he has slept till now. He is outside being sick, but he got something in his tummy a few hours ago, so i am feeling a bit better about it. Will try him again after this spew, and with any luck will sleep till 6am!

Hi TB, how is Atlas doing at present? Can I suggest you get some slippery elm tablets from the health food shop or chemist, this will put a protective coating on his gastric mucosa. You can give it 3 times a day before meals. The one I have used also has licorice in it and this helps with nausea. It can be a vicious cycle sometimes when they wont keep anything down, the empty stomach and gastric acids end up causing more nausea and so on. I can honestly say that the slippery elm is fantastic stuff. It was when I started giving my boy this after a really bad bug that had him hospitalised for a week on a drip and vomiting blood in the end because he was so unwell and had vomitted that much his gastric lining was raw and becoming ulcerated, the vets ended up letting him come home even though he was only keeping water down as a bare minimum because the big boof was getting extremely depressed and we were hoping at least in his own enviroment he might pick up a bit, he continued to go down hill until Allerzeit suggested the slippery elm to me and it was a big turning point.

I would suggest you give it a go today and if still no improvement still take him to the vets as planned. Good luck and I hope he improves soon.

ok, give up, an hour later he is still being sick

Going to ring vets tomorrow morning

Oh no poor poppet. Sounds like he needs an anti nausia injection and the slippery elm to line his tubby sounds like a good idea.

So glad my tribe only had a very mild case of whatever it is.