Sticky Bandage

I have a foster girl who just had a C section. She was oozing blood from her incision (suspected clotting problems) and was bandaged tightly for a few days and given vit K. All seems fine now. However i can't get this last bit of bandage off her because it's stuck tightly to her hair on her belly near the incision and it really hurts her when i try to get it off. She knows i am only trying to help her but she half looks like she will nip me if i persist, just out of pain though. Is there anything i can put on it to help loosen the sticky stuff? Thanks in adavance :rofl:

I would recommend any food safe oil to remove a elastoplast type bandage. If it is a 'belly wrap' with a co flex type bandage soften with water soaked cloths to break up the blood clots. Hope she is doing well otherwise, how are the pups?

I would suggest taking the dog back to the surgery that did the operation, they should remove the plaster free of charge and it also gives the vet a chance to check the suture line.

Damm good idea. :rofl::rofl:

Yes she's allready been seen yesterday by vet and will again tomorrow. Pups are good but i am having to bottle feed all 8 at the moment. Mums got very little milk :rofl: Is it possible that her milk supply will increase if i can manage to get her to feed them even if they'e not getting much out? (i will continue to bottle feed unless and untill her supply increases)

Edited by openarms

yes shes allready been seen yesterday by vet and will again tomorrow. Pups are good but i am having to bottle feed all 8 at at the moment. Mums got very little milk :rofl:

Wonderful she is well and recovering from what was obviously an ordeal!

Such hard work feeding them isn't it?! Milk supply is need dependant so the more scukling the more milk! I know this is hard when Mum has obviously been through the hard yards but anything she can give offers antibodies.

Poor thing has probably had a hard time bonding if she had horrible bandages on...

Do you know the cause of the suspect clotting problem?

No idea i just assumed it was genetic. She seems to be a bit more concerned with them today she has started to clean/toilet them which is good. But won't stay and feed them unless i stay next to her. If i get up she follows me.

eta yes it is hard work but very rewarding. I have to go feed some now i hear puppies crying.

Edited by openarms

Hi openarms. Congraulations on doing such a wonderful job. :rofl:

I suggest you give her some rescue remedy drops which work in about 1 min then put the pups on to feed.

To assist with milk supply put 1 heaped teaspoon of Fenuegreek powder in each of her feeds, she will smell like an Indian resturant but her supply will increase very rapidly. You get the powder from an Indian grocery, its also called Mehte ? spelling pronounced met tea.

Rescue remedy relaxes the mother, then when the pups start sucking that releases further endorphins in the brain which further relax her. As she had a caesar she did not get that birth experience so does not know what these things are that are at her. Hense relaxing her gets all the right hormones happening.

imo stay with mum; if thats the only way she will feed her pups; they need the antibodies in these early days & them suckling will increase the milk supply ;stick with it ;its worth it in the long run! & mum will probally be more excepting of them soon; good luck keep up the good work