Newspaper Or Puppy Training Pads?

Baileys mum

I am getting an Aussie terrier puppy in a couple of weeks time & I will be training her to be an indoor dog like my other 2 dogs. When I toilet trained Bailey I trained him to use newspaper for his accidents, but hated the way the urine still seeped through to the floor. I was thinking of buying puppy training pads this time.I was just wondering if they are really as absorbant as they claim to be, & will I have less mess. Or should I save my money & just use newspaper again?

Thanks in advance :laugh:

I am getting an Aussie terrier puppy in a couple of weeks time & I will be training her to be an indoor dog like my other 2 dogs. When I toilet trained Bailey I trained him to use newspaper for his accidents, but hated the way the urine still seeped through to the floor. I was thinking of buying puppy training pads this time.I was just wondering if they are really as absorbant as they claim to be, & will I have less mess. Or should I save my money & just use newspaper again?

Thanks in advance :laugh:

We have been using the training pads (on the 'holder' ...thing that the pads can sit in and a frame clicks over the edge .. prevents our pup from chewing them) and found them to be very absobant. Our pup was going on teh pad a couple of times at night and not a problem at all .. just unclip it and throw it in the bin and replace. To help her get the hang of where to go I did 'mop up' a bit of her week on one of the pads .. I knew she would go to the pad because of it .. the rest I cleaned up with the 'Urine Off' so this made the pad the only place she would sniff. The pad was in the penned area outside her crate and away from her food. Worked well for us. Noodle is now going 6-7 hours without needing to go to the toilet so she has only use the pad once in teh past week - the rest of the time I have put her out in the morning to go. From 8 - 10 weeks she went more often on the pad even though I toileted her 11:30pm, 2am and 4am (each time she went outside on the grass) .. if I did not make it in time or if we were out and she was in the pen she would use the pads. From 10 - 13 weeks she was outside more on her own during the day - don't need the pads, and at night in the crate she would use them ... again slowly holding her need to go until 6am when she goes out. Thank goodness! We were going through about 3 - 4 pads every day and sometimes a couple at night. This past week she has used one (she is 14 weeks today0 .. this morning when I was a little slow in getting to her to put her out.

You can either use the pads with the plastic backs.

Or get one of those plastic low tubs that slide under your bed. (low so pup can step into it easy)

Put your paper in that, it won't seap onto the floor then.

I am currently using the training pads but I'm finding it a little too expensive. I bought a box of 100 for $59.90 plus $10 postage on the ebay but they dont seem to absorb the urine quick enough and sometimes Obi steps on it after he eliminates. The pads lasted me for about 2.5 months and I'm currently using the second box and trying to find other alternatives to the pads.

There is a washable pad that u can buy online called pooch pad that is washable. It's supposed to last at least 300 washes. The url is www.poochpad.com . Am not sure if they ship overseas as I have a friend returning from the USA and I've got her to bring me a couple back to try. I think some other online retailers might ship overseas.

I was also considering the pet loo previously but it seem so expensive. I think i might give that indoor doggy toilet a try in Trish's post.

I use the puppy training pads, but I find that my cat is particularly attracted to it - she eats it! If i put a new one down, she and the puppy will have it ripped to shred within an hour.. Ill come home from work to find shredded toilet training pad all over the living room :laugh:

Liek coco22, Im going to give the indoor doggy toilet a try too...

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer to use neither and teach the pup straight off that soiling within the house is not desirable. Might be slightly more work in the short-term, but in the long-term I don't think so.

But of course there are some who live "apartment style" where soiling outside is not an option. If this were the case I would prefer the training pads to newspaper. Unless I wanted my dog to understand that even the paper I was in the middle of reading on the floor depicts a toilet.

Im with Enry all our pups are taught asap the doggy door & outside.

If an apartment dog than obvioulsy it hasto be taught where to go but otherwise the quicker they learn outside the quicker the training is especially as many breeders dont use either for training as such

My older brother and his wife used newspaper but often the dog would hit the edge and it ran everywhere. They then switched to a kitty litter tray.

I could never understand why they just didn't take the dog outside a couple times a day. She was as regular as clockwork so they knew when she was going to do her business - they used to go in and cleaned it up straight away. To me it would have just been easier to take her outside to do her business.

i use newspaper as i don't have grass at my courtyard.. otherwise i would definitely have my dog outside to do her business. (less cleaning up :()

i use newspaper and ensure i have at least 4 layers so it will not seep onto my tiles.. once baci does her business i get another sheet of newspaper and lay it on top so it seeps onto the top layer and bottom layer..

then i will clean it up after it has all seeped so it will not run everywhere...

the down side to newspaper is:

having to clean her mess frequently

she does step on it every now and then.. so you have to wipe her paws.. and maybe the tiles where she has trotted

I have tried puppy pads when baci was young.. but she just doesn't go on it.. and went on the tile instead.. so i reverted back to newspaper..

sorry i cannot be much help with the training pads

I prefer to teach a dog to go outside initially, if that is an option. There are like grass/fake grass dog loos that are made for small backyards.

Failing this, I have found the training pads to be absorbent... But have also found dogs that like to tear up their peed on pads! :(