Jealous

Dobes

I have a 5month male Dobermann and on the weekend we picked up our new Dobermann she is a female and only 7weeks. In the last 2 days hes been behaving pretty bad. I bought new toys and started fresh as i was trying to avoid the not sharing stage but he seems to be doing it anyway, taking toys off her, he even follows her around the backyard to make sure that if she picks up a toy he takes it off her, hes not letting her on her bed and doesnt leave her alone and i know she must be tired. All that time training him have gone out the window and i nearly had his jumping under control (thanks to some of the postings on here), he is now not listening and trying to steal food from the female even to the point that this morning he knocked his bowl out of my hands! Duke is ruff with her and probably doesnt mean it but she is handling herself pretty well as she has been with big dogs and i know he is still a baby himself and does not realise his size yet. I dont single them out and i havent treated Duke any different since Lilly came along. It has only been a couple of days since they have been together, once they get to know each other will the jealously disappear?

Now I am by no means an expert but would the fact that they are so close in age be adding to the problem that Duke has of adjusting to a new dog in 'his' territory?

Have you taken him to obedience, will he listen to you when you say no?

Have you considered crate training them so they have their own spaces?

I think you're seeing more dominance than jealousy.

It's time to ensure that you call the shots. Make sure both pups get time on their own with you and start insisting on decent manners at meal times.

Dogs aren't democrats. One or the other will usually be dominant. Your goal should be to ensure that it doesn't get out of hand and to set the limits of what is and is not acceptable behaviour. :love:

this all sounds very normal - as above its dominance not jealousy - dogs dont associate the same things as humans do with emotions.

I would suggest getting a puppy play pen for them - this way they both get some space and have to learn that time spent with you (as pack leader) is precious and they have to behave to be allowed it.

Depending on how dominant your boy is you will also have to watch them as she gets to around the 9-15month age when she may challenge him for his pack position - most boys back down to a girl but it depends on the circumstance - it may go unnoticed by you but pack shifts will always be happening

Why do you have a 7 week old pup?

Secondly what others have said is true

He is telling her everything is his, most dogs do this

The age gap is too close and unless you can seperate when you are not home, seperate for training, seperate to teach them they are their own dogs you are going to be in for trouble

Sorry but I do not agree with someone having a 7 week old pup and letting them run around with a 5 month old

I wouldn't recommend that you leave them alone together without supervision, there is a huge difference in size and weight between a 7 week old puppy and a 5 month old and the older puppy could hurt the baby even though it wasn't deliberate. Any injury inflicted at this age could have consequences for the puppy as an adult, either psychologically or physically.

i agree with what everone has said, its just dominance, my male dobe, kaiser is the same age and is the same. its always HIS bone, HIS toy and not my other dogs, he doesn't get agresive though.

training him, if he's not already will help. i wouldn't reccomend getting him de-sexed at his age, (as i started a thread last week inquiring about what age is best) im planning on getting mine done between 12months - 24 months, if i get him done at all.

i would also like to know what breeder would give you a pup at 7 weeks of age??

and, not trying to be mean or anything, but why would you get a second dobe when your other is only 5 months, this is there most criticle time for training and need all your time and attention to set them up, training wise, for the rest of their lives. sorry but i had to state my opinion.