Greyhound Losing Fur

Lovely greyhound at our local park is losing fur down her flanks and I said I'd ask the DOL gurus about whether this can be reversed. The owners are going to contact their adoption group to see if they have any ideas as well. She's probably just lounging around too much :o but down both back legs her skin is showing a bit of a nude look. There's no sign of any irritation, and it's been a gradual process. I'm sorry but I've forgotten how old she is, they've had her a couple of years and she had a few races before that.

Is this normal for thin-furred dogs? (Mine are a lot fluffier). Is there something that can be added to her diet?

Some of them are just baldy butts.

If it is in conjuncion with other issues it may be her thyroid, generally though I wouldn't stress too much.

I have a 3yr old, she never raced and had a furry black behind when I got her, now 18mths down the track she is a little finer than she was.

My boy who did race is a fluff ball ( as far as greyhounds go! )

Some of the dogs that get adopted from racing come in bald and the hair grows back over time, some never do.

As long as she isn't showing any other symptoms it is most likely just a cosmetic thing and nothing to worry about.

I've seen tonnes of greyhounds with this. Completley normal. As long as the skin isn't broken and irritated it's not a problem, just doesn't look fantastic IMO.

Owners can offer soft beds etc to prevent it, but some with just choose to lay on surfaces such as concrete. Once bald like that, it often will never grow back, even if they lie on a soft bed all the time. :(

Get a thyroid test.

My girl also had a bald bum. She hasnt raced yet but is in training.

When I got her she was a furball. Now her coat all over is gorgeous but she has a thinning bum. I had her tested and she is now on thyroid tablets. She has never looked better and the hair is growing back.

If you do decide to get a thyroid test, make sure that you go to a greyhound vet, as greyhounds naturally have lower TT4 levels than other breeds. I wouldn't have the test done unless she also has skin sores, is missing fur from her chest and head and is more lethargic than usual.

The fur might grow back, or it might not. Many greyhounds have bald thighs and it doesn't cause any problems for them.

I wouldn't have the test done unless she also has skin sores, is missing fur from her chest and head and is more lethargic than usual.

Greymate, my grey only had thinning hair on her thights. No other thinning, sores etc. I decided to get her tested as her bum was thinning more and more and she wasnt in training at the time. I also show her and needed the hair to regrow for the show ring. I go to Blair Kurtz who is a very highly regarded greyhound vet. Her results came back low so even though there were no other signs she is now on thyroid meds and the hair grew back. Now she is back in training it is falling out again so I have just learnt to live with it. Hope judges at the shows can deal with it too.

I also have two Italian Greyhounds with low thyroid. One had sores, thinning on back, ears, no energy etc. The other was only discovered by "accident" when he was in for other stuff. He had absolutely no thinning and was a little livewire so you cant always tell.

Edited by shantiah