Eating Poo

borderstaff

My 4 month old border collie pup is starting to eat poo, her own and our other dogs....

i was just wondering if she is would be missing anything in her diet....or if this is just a puppy thing..Its just all my other dog never did it.

maybe she is just special :thumbsup:

Our pup does it too. Not her own, but the cat's and any wallaby or possum poo she finds about. It's gross isn't it? She comes and tries to kiss me with poo stuck in her teeth :thumbsup: Search the forums for copraphagia....there was a thread on it not too long ago.

my dog goes this too, and she's even grown. if you ask me, i say it's gross!!! especially when you catch them in the act, they look up innocently with it hanging out their mouth... ew!!! lol

also my dog goesn't bring it in. we would be very mad if she did so. we've tried a lot, but she can't seem to stop. she not only eat's her own, she eats our other dog. why? i really have no clue because they're really well fed, you know. maybe it just... is their own little treat. like once you eat a cheeseburger for dinner, then see a chocolate bar and eat it. an extra tid bit or something. :] i wish i could help, but we've got the same problem and no solution lol.....

It's scientific term is Coprophagia. It is blamed on either behavioural or medical problems such as malabsorption. I would be mentioning it at my next vet visit and would take her in sooner if there is anything else out of the ordinary. One of my dogs has done this from a young age, be warned the other dog did copy her after a few years of watching and learning, yuck!

I am pretty careful now to pick up poo twice a day which seems to help.

my dog goes this too, and she's even grown. if you ask me, i say it's gross!!! especially when you catch them in the act, they look up innocently with it hanging out their mouth... ew!!! lol

also my dog goesn't bring it in. we would be very mad if she did so. we've tried a lot, but she can't seem to stop. she not only eat's her own, she eats our other dog. why? i really have no clue because they're really well fed, you know. maybe it just... is their own little treat. like once you eat a cheeseburger for dinner, then see a chocolate bar and eat it. an extra tid bit or something. :] i wish i could help, but we've got the same problem and no solution lol.....

DITTO!!

Well, our 15 month old is a 'poo eater' ...revolting!! :laugh: I have been monitoring the situation and she doesn't always do it - intermittently. Having read the read the thread on 'copo .. what'sit' I have come to the decision that she has the need to clean up after herself. She was initially in a pen inside at 8 weeks and I was often cleaning up after her, she also watches when I clean up when we go for a walk and often will try to get to it before me. The times I have seen her do it outside is when she poo'd on the back deck (hubby's precious new backdeck that he built). We have only every praised her for eliminatin outside and she has NEVER been growled at .. jsut taken to the 'right place' if she starts to go on concrete etc. Noodle also licks her butt after going to the toilet .. almost catlike.

Boredom is not something I would consider as a reason .. she has four 'sets' of toys that go outside in rotation and two bungee thingos (one is a knot and the other is an Ozziedog?? one) that goes outside on days I am working or when I have done the washing as a precaution, I feed her at least one of her meals using a Kong and the like. She also has the sandpit to dig in and at least one but mostly two walks a day.

I have tried to spray the poo she is eating .. well, what is left on the ground with Bitter lime but by the time I run inside and grab the spray and run back out the last bit is well and truly gone and Noodle is licking her lips and I make a run for the backdoor before she tries to lick me!!! :laugh: I usually will wait for a few minutes and than give her a chicken neck to eat .. gotta clean that mouth somehow. On that point, I have wondered if the chicken neck does make the poo taste more appetising ... can't say I have seen a pattern though.

Oscar does this too!!

However he doesn't do it as often as he used to THANK GOD....

When I see him eating I normally start running the other way calling his name and saying LOOK LOOK. Sometimes he rushes over to see what I'm on about and forgets the poo.. Other times he quickly eats the poo then rushes over.

When he was a little pup and he did a poo inside I saw him cleaning up after himself.. as if he was ashamed :). I think he is getting a lot better though.. As I ave had him checked for everything and the vet assures me he is in perfect health. I think it is more a bevavioural thing.. Maybe he learnt it from his Mum.

However I think it is GROSS

Edited by Oscar's Mummy

This issue has been discussed many times , and vets dont seem to have an answer for the problem. They have come up with many theories and many cures but nothing changes, I have 4 Shih Tzu kids and two of them are still sleeping in cages but they dont seem to have the problem yet, the older kids did it for a while and then stopped when they got to about 4 years ,for no exact reason. Although I did run ragged cleaning after them for about a year LOL. :D

And the problem is not restricted to any breed.THEY ALL DO IT. :)

Best of luck trying to solve the problem , If you do please let us all know, as Im sure I would like to stop my babies, who will not want to miss out on that horrible part of their development.

000_0049.jpg

it's absolutely disgusting :)

Arnie shits outside then brings it in to eat. I've always thought he was a bit special too.

The other night he must have eaten too much pooh because he vomited. I don;t know whats worse...pooh, vomit or vomited pooh :D

I am on pooh patrol twice a day but he still gets his grubby little hands on it. If I catch him with it, I say "NO" and take it off him and he runs along on his merry way to play with something else.

No kisses for poohbreath.

I caught my pup doing this just this morning... I think he was trying to clean up or hide it because he's just getting the idea that pooing in the house is not good... this little bugger is also vomiting his meals and re-eating them.. anyone have a clue what this is about?

ohhhhhhh nice subject :)

lol. a friend said that they disciplined the dog everytime they'd go to do it and it seemed to help. also restraining the dog/pup and then putting chili or something foul tasting on all the poop in the yard. it did help with mine they don't do it as often now. they seem to leave them.

they've said in the past, that giving sweet potatoe helps or green vegies. but it is a common problem unfortunately. everyone has their theories but following the dog around and reprimanding seems to be the best method. plus making it foul tasting too. not as yummy perhaps??? ewwwwwww

This issue has been discussed many times , and vets dont seem to have an answer for the problem. They have come up with many theories and many cures but nothing changes, I have 4 Shih Tzu kids and two of them are still sleeping in cages but they dont seem to have the problem yet, the older kids did it for a while and then stopped when they got to about 4 years ,for no exact reason. Although I did run ragged cleaning after them for about a year LOL. :D

And the problem is not restricted to any breed.THEY ALL DO IT. :)

Best of luck trying to solve the problem , If you do please let us all know, as Im sure I would like to stop my babies, who will not want to miss out on that horrible part of their development.

No, they don't ALL do it. Some dogs are poop eaters, most aren't.

I've only ever had one poop eater and I found that quick pick ups and verbal corrections worked. She either outgrew or was trained out of the behaviour by the time she was 6 months old.

She never attempted to eat her own poop, just that of my older dog.

They can be trained out of this behaviour the same as they can be trained out of other undesirable behaviours, it takes time and careful observation.

Oscar does this too!!

However he doesn't do it as often as he used to THANK GOD....

When I see him eating I normally start running the other way calling his name and saying LOOK LOOK. Sometimes he rushes over to see what I'm on about and forgets the poo.. Other times he quickly eats the poo then rushes over.

When he was a little pup and he did a poo inside I saw him cleaning up after himself.. as if he was ashamed ;). I think he is getting a lot better though.. As I ave had him checked for everything and the vet assures me he is in perfect health. I think it is more a bevavioural thing.. Maybe he learnt it from his Mum.

However I think it is GROSS

Well mine this morning .... good grief ... stoppped a game of 'fetch' (she loves chasing the ball and bringing it back!!) to do a poo and then proceeded to eat it!! :rolleyes:

Stuff the Game!! :laugh:

What is with that!! :o

Poo eating has taking precedence over a good old fashioned game of fetch!!! ... I said 'Uh Uh!! turned on my heel and walked the other direction (usually she follows) not this time ... continued on eating ... YUCK!! She did learn that poo eating means end of game, pat, play!! :laugh:

No time for the water bottle to spay her ... bitter lime ... nothing!! I feel like I have to patrol the yard looking akin to Inspector Gadget with botlles, balls, soft toys and goodness knows what else ... plastic bags ... rarara hanging around my waist like a tradie!!! :)

This issue has been discussed many times , and vets dont seem to have an answer for the problem. They have come up with many theories and many cures but nothing changes, I have 4 Shih Tzu kids and two of them are still sleeping in cages but they dont seem to have the problem yet, the older kids did it for a while and then stopped when they got to about 4 years ,for no exact reason. Although I did run ragged cleaning after them for about a year LOL. :o

And the problem is not restricted to any breed.THEY ALL DO IT. :rolleyes:

No, they don't ALL do it. Some dogs are poop eaters, most aren't.

Shit Zu (hehe) lover was referring to all breeds do it, it's not just little dogs etc. Not all dogs, but all breeds.

Unfortunately I'm away 9 hrs of the day so can't monitor pooh consumption for that time but pooh patrol is done twice a day and Arnie is reprimanded when I do catch him.

Luckily Mort ate it once and clearly didnt like the taste so has never done it again.

Arnie however will choose to eat pooh over roast chook.

DITTO!!

Well, our 15 month old is a 'poo eater' ...revolting!! :D I have been monitoring the situation and she doesn't always do it - intermittently. Having read the read the thread on 'copo .. what'sit' I have come to the decision that she has the need to clean up after herself. She was initially in a pen inside at 8 weeks and I was often cleaning up after her, she also watches when I clean up when we go for a walk and often will try to get to it before me. The times I have seen her do it outside is when she poo'd on the back deck (hubby's precious new backdeck that he built). We have only every praised her for eliminatin outside and she has NEVER been growled at .. jsut taken to the 'right place' if she starts to go on concrete etc. Noodle also licks her butt after going to the toilet .. almost catlike.

Boredom is not something I would consider as a reason .. she has four 'sets' of toys that go outside in rotation and two bungee thingos (one is a knot and the other is an Ozziedog?? one) that goes outside on days I am working or when I have done the washing as a precaution, I feed her at least one of her meals using a Kong and the like. She also has the sandpit to dig in and at least one but mostly two walks a day.

I have tried to spray the poo she is eating .. well, what is left on the ground with Bitter lime but by the time I run inside and grab the spray and run back out the last bit is well and truly gone and Noodle is licking her lips and I make a run for the backdoor before she tries to lick me!!! :love: I usually will wait for a few minutes and than give her a chicken neck to eat .. gotta clean that mouth somehow. On that point, I have wondered if the chicken neck does make the poo taste more appetising ... can't say I have seen a pattern though.

Ooops! On re-reading it is meant to be '15 WEEKS OLD'!! Just feels like we have had her for months! :rofl:

My puppy was doing this too - she dug up every fresh bit of cat poo in the garden and then found the kitty litter and dragged it around the laundry. Fortunately my cat has a "poo palace" ie it's got a top and a bottom. It also has a flap which I had left off because the cat, being on the large size, had not much room. But since I've put the flap on no more cat poo in the house but I also don't think the cat has been using the litter as much either. I have thought about putting the kitty litter in another room the dog can't get into - we have baby gates up to stop her getting in most of the house!

But it really is gross and disgusting and they look so happy with themselves. I wonder if it's because cat's have a high protein diet and their waste is well, I guess refined protein!