Which Grooming Brush Should I Use ?

My dog is a short hair cattle dog. I have used the brushes which have this metal bristles but my dog seems to hate this brush. But this brush seems good enough to take out the undercoat hairs.

I have also used the fine teeth combs for dogs and it also takes out the undercoat ( he hates this also).

Is there any other brushes that i can use ?

I have also tried using the human hair comb but it doesn't do anything at all ;/

any help is appreciated. thanks . :love:

I always use a fine toothed metal comb, but sounds as though he pretty much hates being brushed all together ??

If this is the case, try a zoom groom, which are the rubber massage brushes and see how he goes. I find they make a mess, but if it works great. Otherwise, I would just persevere and continue to brush with a comb, making it a nice experience so he learns to tollerate it :mad I never let the dogs win :love:

I used a good bristle brush, then to finish off put a nylon stocking over the brush and go over the dog again with that and it brings up the gloss, that's all I used to use when I was showing them.

Ive got kelpies and have also had cattle dogs, I find the best comb to use is not the really fine one like the flea combs, but a normal comb with thicker and a bit wider teeth, I picked one up from crazy clarks for $2 once. It has short and long alternating teeth in it. There is probably a couple of mm between the teeth and pulls alot of hair out without being too harsh. It they have alot of undercoat when shedding then the rake is good. I know alot of dogs dont like the slicker.

Excuse me.........the question posed was 'what brush?' nothing mentioned about comes or strippers! You want a dog in full coat for showing.... not stripped out!

What the ?? OP was asking for what brush to use to get out undercoat, to which we replied they way we did as no brush I use is suitable for this breed IMO, so I suggested a metal comb. And you'll find this dog is not shown :p

Edited by BC

Excuse me.........the question posed was 'what brush?' nothing mentioned about comes or strippers! You want a dog in full coat for showing.... not stripped out!

What the ?? OP was asking for what brush to use to get out undercoat, to which we replied they way we did as no brush I use is suitable for this breed IMO, so I suggested a metal comb. And you'll find this dog is not shown :cheers:

Whoops! My apologies, I didn't read it properly.

Sue

I'm guessing your brush with the metal bristles is a slicker brush- some are way too harsh. Have to get one labelled SOFT or EXTRA SOFT.

I reckon a slicker plus a metal comb (e.g. a "greyhound comb") would be ideal.

I use a slicker on the poodles (as well as my sister's short-haired RidgieX) and my sister's dog loves it.

Must feel like I'm gently scratching his back or something.

One of my poodles doesn't like grooming at all - Bad luck- he stands there until I'm done or else! Is for his own good and I'm not hurting him.